Cutting Board

cday23

Yes there is.

I recently purchased a set of three cheap bamboo cutting boards on woot just to have a few extras around. These are thinner boards and if there are thicker ones out there they might work better, but all three of these boards are warped after just a few weeks of using them several times a week.

IMO, the best type of WOODEN boards to buy are the end grain boards. They aren't gonna warp. There is also absolutely nothing wrong with buying plastic boards. I have several of those and I use them for cutting my meat down.

I have a very nice butcher block chopping table, but am concerned about cutting raw meat on it, so +1 for the plastic boards I use for meat. Easy to keep clean and dishwasher safe. The butcher block is great for other cuttings and for making bread dough on.

The nice thing about bamboo is that it is a very hard surface. Wood tends to get quite porous and thus you can end up with cross contamination, which as we know from our friends at the FDA and CDC and other alphabet soup government agencies, WILL KILL YOU! :o

Geez, my Mother was deliberately trying to kill us! How did I ever make it this far? ;)

Following is a link to a YouTube video that gives a nice quick review of bamboo cutting boards.

http://m.youtube.com/index?&desktop_uri ... jusqBlmOBI

Hope you enjoy! This guy has a channel that has some good content. I always get some good ideas from him.

Y'all have a great day and great cooks! :D

I just use a pampered chef "plastic" board. Had it for a very long time. Sams Club sells some "plastic" for a few bucks that look good to me. I do plan on making a wooden board this year.

Worth noting that a very hard surface will shorten the life of your knife edge.

For dough and such I use corning glass "counter savers"

I have two large plastic boards on my island. They can be directly washed in the sink and bleached. The soft surface does not dull the blades. They are under $20 each.

Wood or bamboo would be more attractive but for me-- more special care would be required in not just hosing them down.

The best thing with these boards is if you put shelf liner under them they do not move at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-Non- ... helf+liner

I have two large plastic boards on my island. They can be directly washed in the sink and bleached. The soft surface does not dull the blades. They are under $20 each.

Wood or bamboo would be more attractive but for me-- more special care would be required in not just hosing them down.

The best thing with these boards is if you put shelf liner under them they do not move at all.

http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-Non- ... helf+liner

The shelf liner is a GREAT idea Marty. I keep a small roll in the drawer just for that purpose. A moist kitchen towel will work in a pinch.