• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!

This is my version of the classic chicken tortilla soup made from scratch using dry beans, garden grown peppers, homemade smoked turkey stock, fire-roasted garden tomatoes, and other good stuff. Recipe is below video.

Ingredients:
vegetable oil
1/2 medium onion, diced
3-4 anaheim peppers, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp cumin
~1 cup dry black beans (1/3 lb)
1.5 quarts smoked poultry stock (chicken or turkey) (

1 pint fire roasted tomato sauce (

~2 cups sweet corn kernels
2-3 chicken breasts
1 cup cilantro, chopped
~1 tsp lime juice
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
several tortillas (corn preferred, flour ok)
1 avocado, pitted, sliced
queso fresco or other cheese

Directions:
The night before, soak black beans in salted water (3 Tbsp/gal ratio) to hydrate.
Next day, drain the beans, add them to a pot, cover them in water, heat to a simmer, & add a little salt (~1 tsp). Cook until beans are softened (~1 hour). Drain.
In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, add couple tablespoons of vegetable oil.
Add the onions, peppers, & cumin. Cook until softened.
Add the garlic. Cook for another minute.
Pour the poultry stock, tomatoes, corn, and beans into the pot and bring to a simmer.
Add chicken breasts. Cook until chicken is done (~20-25 minutes). Remove chicken from pot.
When cool enough to handle, shred it and add it back to the pot.
Taste and add salt and black pepper as desired.
While the soup and chicken simmer, make the tortilla strips:
Slice tortillas into half inch wide strips.
Heat ~1/4 inch layer of vegetable oil in a pan over medium-high heat. (Ideally, oil temperature should be ~350-400 deg F.)
Cook tortilla strips in batches until golden colored and crispy. Remove from pan and place on paper towels to cool and absorb extra oil.
Serving:
Ladle soup into a bowl.
Add some tortilla strips, fresh cilantro, a squirt of lime juice, avocado slices, and cheese.
Eat.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By LargeRedJoe
      This is a crock pot recipe but you can substitute a dutch oven for the crock pot and cook with a heat deflector on a low temp; 250 or so. Leave the lid off with smoking wood at the beginning. You could also tuck these underneath a butt and have the best of both worlds!
      Ingredients
      1 pack bacon, diced
      1 onion diced
      1 cup brown sugar
      1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
      1 tsp garlic powder
      1 tsp dry mustard
      1 tsp salt
      Drain:
      1 can dark red kidney beans
      1 can garbanzo beans
      1 can baby limas
      1 can butter beans
      1 large can baked beans
      Sautee bacon and onion until cooked and onions are translucent and beginning to brown.
      Add everything else except beans. Stir and simmer 20 mins.
      Layer beans into slow cooker in order listed.
      Pour bacon and onion mixture over beans (don't stir).
      Cook on High for 4+ hours.
    • By MrA
      I was looking for a baked beans recipe, and found this one. Not too sweet, and I think it's pretty good. I'll try it without the honey next time. I added some smoked pork I had in the freezer. Soaking black eyed peas isn't necessary, or any bean really. The peas cook quick. I just bring to boil and put the pot in 250° oven for 30 minutes. Add salt after 15 minutes when they start to soften..
      http://www.popsugar.com/food/Barbecued-Black-Eyed-Peas-26341349
      INGREDIENTS
      1 1/2 cups dried black-eyed peas
      2 teaspoons plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
      1/2 onion, diced
      1 green bell pepper, diced
      2 cloves garlic, minced
      2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
      2 tablespoons lime juice
      1/2 cup tamari or soy sauce
      1 cup canned tomato sauce
      1 large chipotles in adobo sauce
      1/4 cup agave nectar or honey
      1 tablespoon ground cumin
      1 teaspoon dried thyme DIRECTIONS

In a large stock pot, combine black-eyed peas with enough water to cover them by two inches. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Skim off any foam, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, partially covered, until just tender, about 50 minutes to an hour. Drain beans, reserving cooking water. Meanwhile, in a sauté pan over medium heat, combine oil, onions, and bell pepper. Sauté until the vegetables soften, about five to seven minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, about two minutes. Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a blender, combine the vinegar, lime juice, tamari, tomato sauce, chipotle chile, agave nectar, cumin, thyme, one cup reserved bean water, and three tablespoons olive oil. Puree until smooth, about 30 seconds. In an oven-safe sauté pan, cast-iron skillet, or two-quart baking dish, stir cooked beans, sautéed vegetables, and sauce until well incorporated. Bake uncovered for two hours, stirring occasionally. INFORMATION
    • By LargeRedJoe
      Aaron Franklin BBQ Pinto Beans:

Ingredients: 1 pound dried pinto beans 1/4 medium yellow onion, diced 1/4 cup chili powder 1 1/2 tablespoons kosher salt  (*see note below) 1 tablespoon black pepper 2 teaspoons onion powder 2 teaspoons garlic powder 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin 1 cup chopped smoked brisket 8 cups water   Instructions:   Rinse the pinto beans and remove any rocks or debris. Place the beans, onion, chili powder, salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, and cumin in a large pot. Cover with 8 cups of water, stir until the spices are well distributed, and then soak the beans uncovered for 8 hours. Alternatively, you can bring the pot to a boil, turn off the heat, cover the pot, and let them quick soak for 1 hour.   Stovetop method: To cook the beans, add the brisket to the pot. (Do not drain the soaking liquid.) Make sure the beans and ingredients are covered by an inch and a half of water. Bring the pot to a boil, then turn down the heat down to low, cover the pot, and then gently simmer for 1 hour.    After 1 hour, remove the cover and then continue to cook the beans until they’re tender, which will depend on the age of the beans. This can happen anywhere from 1 hour to 3 hours.    Slow cooker method: As above but after soaking, cook covered on low for 6 hours, then remove the lid and continue to cook on low for 2 more hours.   Baking method: As above but use a cast iron dutch oven and bake in an oven or kamado at 350 F. Check for doneness after two hours and then finish for up to an hour uncovered as needed.    I made these using the baking method and they came out perfect - the beans didn't turn to mush and they absorbed a great deal of flavor. I didn't have any brisket so I used some smoked, pulled chuck that I made for some TexMex and it tasted great.     *Note: Be mindful of the salt; the bark on the meat contains a lot of seasoning so add the salt at a couple of points in the cooking process and taste after each addition. And of course know that Morton's Kosher salt weighs almost twice as much as Diamond Crystal (by volume).  For example, 1 tbls of Diamond Crystal weighs 135 grams but 1 tbls of Morton's = 250 grams (!!).  I recently switched to Morton's and until this box is done, I'm having to re-calibrate on salt content in some recipes. 
    • By Smokehowze
      A Pastrami from a Corned Beef Cook with Kamado Pork-N-Beans, Kamado Corn Bread and Crawfish Boil Potato Salad.
      Bought an 8.3 lb corned beef at Costco a while back and I decided to do a pastrami cook with it. I have done pastami from a raw brisket start before and I just wanted to compare that to a short cut approach. This pastrami was good but the favor profile on the meat itself when I did my own cure was deeper and more pronounced in its elements.
      Soaked the corned beef in water for a day (which may have been too long of a soak) and then dried it, coated it with Steen's cane syrup and a typical pastrami seasoning rub. I decided to coat the meat with the cane syrup and not put brown sugar in the rub. I will say that worked well based on the end result.
      Cooked the meat indirect at an average temp in Big(Red)Joe of 250 degrees. At 170 degrees internal, I foiled the meat and bumped the cook temp up to 350 as the clock was ticking towards dinner time and took it to roughly 200-205 internal where it tested tender all over. Utilized hickory wood for flavor. The meat was a hit. Tender, juicy, and a flavorful pastrami bark.
      When the meat was in the foil stage, added some canned pork-n-beans to cast iron skillet and set that in Joe.
      When the pastrami was removed it was towel wrapped in the foil, The beans were foil covered and set in the kitchen oven (off) to stay warm. We had more cooking to do on Joe!
      As I had some pork chops needing to be cooked, we pulled the deflector, cranked Joe to 425 and quickly grilled the pork loin chops for dinner tomorrow as it will be a busy day and a head start on dinner would be helpful.
      My son mixed up some cornbread adding to it some corn cut from the cob that had been cooked in the pot during the Saturday crawfish boil for a flavor twist. Went back to indirect setup in Joe and cranked him up to 450. Baked the cornbread in the family cast iron cornbread pan. Greased the skillet with leftover bacon grease. Whoooo Hooo!...
      Earlier in the day, I made potato salad from extra red potatoes I had tossed in the crawfish boil pot for this purpose. Added onion, celery, green onion, chopped mini-sweets red, orange & yellow peppers, mayo & vinegar and a splash of hot bacon grease.
      A really really great meal. Meat was excellent, beans had a nice hint of smoke, cornbread had that outdoor cooking fire touch, and a great potato salad along with a green salad made a full and well rounded plate. Add some of the Steen's cane syrup for the cornbread and it is a BINGO.
      Here are the photos of the plate and the cook:
      A delicious meal mainly cooked on Big(Red)Joe

The rub seasoned meat ready to hit the grill

Meat foiled and pork-n-beans are cooking

Meat ready to slice

Corn bread is done

Beans are done

Slicing the Meat

A nice picture of some more else good tastin, tender, and juicy meat! You drooling yet?

Hope you enjoyed this cook as much as we did