Top vent leaking

sintax

I've noticed that the top vent of my grill leaks heavy (not around it, i've sealed that area) between the two spinning plates.

When I close it there is still heavy smoke coming out. I would say when I close it, its still putting out 65-75% of the smoke it was before. I have adjusted the philips screw at the bottom as tight as I can where I can.

How critical is a good seal at the top? Could it be sucking fresh air as its exhausting smoke?

Call Dansons/PB and have another one sent... sounds like you have a cap that doesn't have two pieces that mate well. If it were me, I would take it apart and try to see what the problem is maybe something put together correctly or maybe something is stuck in between the two mating caps...

Mine seals really well and when shut it doesn't appear to leak. To control temps, as well as to, snuff the charcoals out at the end of cooks, it's almost a must to have a decent cap.

1 hour ago, EZ smoke said:

Call Dansons/PB and have another one sent... sounds like you have a cap that doesn't have two pieces that mate well. If it were me, I would take it apart and try to see what the problem is maybe something put together correctly or maybe something is stuck in between the two mating caps...

Mine seals really well and when shut it doesn't appear to leak. To control temps, as well as to, snuff the charcoals out at the end of cooks, it's almost a must to have a decent cap.

thanks for the info, I'll pull it a part and see if maybe I can find the gap. Just from a quick visual, it looks like it should seal well, but it does not.

It does not need to seal perfectly if you also close down the bottom vent.  The design is not great, but with use it should build up some grease and improve.  If it doesn't kill the fire with both vents closed, and the problem does not improve with some use, get it fixed. 

• 1 month later...

I bought my Pit Boss on Monday and decided to check for leaks today. I too have this issue of smoke billowing out of the top vent when it is closed. There is a little coming out at the join between the top vent and the ceramic which I will address using some high temperature silicone gasket or some nomex, but the majority of the smoke that escapes is through the vent itself. The photo doesn't make it look as bad as it actually is.

2017-04-12 15.18.27.jpg

Has anyone else had this issue? (Obviously OP has).  And does it get better with usage, as the vent gets caked in tar?

Luckily it appears to be the only place where smoke leaks, there are no leaks between the base and the dome and there is only a tiny amount of leakage around the bottom vent when it's under pressure from the fan of my Auber temperature controller.

My Akorn does leak a little bit of smoke around the top vent but nowhere near as much as the Pit Boss

The vents are now closed and I'm checking to see if it extinguishes the coals ok.

That seems like a lot. I just purchased one also last week and cooked all weekend. I didn't notice any smoke leaking out of the top or bottom (I expected the bottom to). Was pleasantly surprised to not see any smoke and have the fire go out. I did wonder what I would do if that part leaked outside of requesting a return so I want to follow this post.  

I did take the vent apart and the top section of the daisy wheel looks like it was finished by hand with an angle grinder, and is not a good mate to the base plate. I ended up lubricating it with some powdered graphite and tightening the screw as tight as it would go whilst still being able to open and close the vent. I think it may have closed the gaps up slightly but it still leaks quite a lot.

Luckily however, it doesn't actually seem to be a problem. When both vents are closed the coals are extinguished pretty quickly. The temperature started dropping within about 5 minutes of closing the vents.

@molove - often these types of problems are self-liquidating.  Over several cooks, the vent tends to seal itself when enough "gunk" accumulates on the vent and around it's parts that are to seal.  When that happens, never deep clean it.  Best of luck to you.

1 minute ago, CeramicChef said:

@molove - often these types of problems are self-liquidating.  Over several cooks, the vent tends to seal itself when enough "gunk" accumulates on the vent and around it's parts that are to seal.  When that happens, never deep clean it.  Best of luck to you.

I thought this might be the case. And now I've discovered it's unlikely to cause me any problems, I'm quite happy, it was just a bit alarming seeing the amount of smoke pouring through a closed vent.

Just need to get cooking!