Homemade Burger Buns

BEER-N-BBQ by Larry

Hi everyone,

Some have asked me to give them the recipe for the burger buns I used in my How To Make Better Burgers video.  Well, here it is.

Makes 8 buns.
Ounce units are weight ounces (not fluid ounces).

Sponge Starter: How To Make Sourdough Yeast Starter
4 oz yeast starter
6 oz AP flour
6 oz warm milk

Final Ingredients:
12 oz AP flour
4 oz warm milk
1 egg, beaten
0.4 oz melted unsalted butter (~1/4 cup)
0.4 oz salt
0.4 oz sugar
Optional:  melted butter or egg wash for brushing.

Directions:
1) Mix up sponge starter the night before.
2) The next morning add final ingredients.
3) Knead for a few minutes in a stand mixer.
4) Form into a ball.
5) Place into an oiled bowl and cover.
6) When doubled in size, punch down, reform, and divide into 8 equal pieces (~4.5 oz each).
7) Form pieces into balls and place on parchment lined baking sheet.
8) Brush with melted butter or egg wash. (Optional)
9) Bake @400 deg F for 30-35 minutes until done.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 year later...

In the video of the yeast starter, you continue to add the 4oz of flour and water for a few days.  Is this something that you must do or were you just doing that for a few days to build up the amount of starter you had?  I guess I'm trying to determine if I need to start this process 4-5 days in advance of when I want to actually make the buns or can I just do the initial starter and be done?  

27 minutes ago, GRSpartan said:

In the video of the yeast starter, you continue to add the 4oz of flour and water for a few days.  Is this something that you must do or were you just doing that for a few days to build up the amount of starter you had?  I guess I'm trying to determine if I need to start this process 4-5 days in advance of when I want to actually make the buns or can I just do the initial starter and be done?  

I just re-watched the videos and I am pretty sure I answered my own question.  The starter does take a few days to make and I'm using 4oz of the starter I make for the "sponge starter".  

19 hours ago, GRSpartan said:

Depends on the strength of your starter. 

If you regularly use your starter (e.g. weekly), it may only take a single feeding (or two) the day before to get it active again.  If you keep in the fridge for a month and don't feed it regularly, it can take several days to restore it to good active health.

When I'm making bread/buns/pizza every week for months on end, all I have to do is take it out of the fridge the day before, pour off the hooch, dump half, let it warm up a bit, then feed it for several hours before using it in a sponge/poolish starter.

19 hours ago, GRSpartan said:

Would I be able to use a packet of active dry teas in place of the starter?

Yes. Absolutely. I do that as well at times when in a hurry, but to keep the recipe whole you'll need to add the equivalent amount of flour and water that would have been part of the starter.

31 minutes ago, BEER-N-BBQ by Larry said:

Yes. Absolutely. I do that as well at times when in a hurry, but to keep the recipe whole you'll need to add the equivalent amount of flour and water that would have been part of the starter.

Great thanks. So I would just start with 10 oz of AP flour and 10oz of water and I’m good to go? That would technically be my “starter” for this recipe?

On 10/12/2018 at 9:37 AM, GRSpartan said:

Great thanks. So I would just start with 10 oz of AP flour and 10oz of water and I’m good to go? That would technically be my “starter” for this recipe?

The total bill is 20 oz flour and 12 oz milk if you add it all up.

Flour: 2 oz from the starter, 6 oz from the sponge, and 12 oz for the final.

Milk: 2 oz from the starter, 6 oz from the sponge, and 4 oz for the final.

If not using a yeast starter, add just a little dry yeast (~1/8-1/4  tsp) to the sponge starter (8 oz each of flour and milk). You should be all set for the following morning to add the final ingredients.