After a rough 2016, I've been working on getting back in some kind of shape. Shoulder surgery last year, a vehicle accident mixed with old age, bad liver and a taste for craft beer caused me to pile on about 30 lbs. The extra weight was causing balance and pain problems and I am working to get it off.

I started out with the 10,000 step walking thing, and then caught the fitness bug and decided to join a gym to beat the Florida heat. I bought a few books on weight training, the most influential was Lou Schuler's, "The New Rules of Lifting for Life". That book changed my outlook on fitness and what a 'good' workout is. I realized it involves a lot more than just lifting as much weight as you can and getting bigger muscles. After a couple of months of weight training, I found I'd gained an extra 10 lbs and had less balance and stability than before, probably because muscles were getting 'unbalanced'. I'm sure the muscle balance concept is debatable but after working out for a couple of months doing squats and leg exercises, I was having a hard putting pants on without sitting down. My balance was terrible. Worse, I was getting bored and not liking my workout routine.

My gym has a TRX station so I started using it. Its practical because nobody else really bothers with it, the trainers show people an exercise occasionally, but seldom do I see anyone use the straps -- so no waiting in line. There is a bit of a learning curve involved and my gym has no posters or classes to help newbies, but there's a ton of stuff on YouTube for different exercises and technique. 

The thing I like about the TRX/suspension training is its a small amount of equipment that can go anywhere. Just some buckles, handles and wide nylon straps. You can hang it over a door in a hotel room or a tree limb or wherever you want. You're using your own body weight, so you're core muscles are getting a good workout, and you can build your arms, legs, chest, back, etc., as much as you want. I think there's probably less chance to hurt yourself when you are working with body weight, rather than barbells and dumbbells. It reminds me of the gymnastic rings from high school PE. I'm getting some balance back, and regaining some strength in my legs and hips. Most important is that I enjoy the workout. The trademark TRX stuff is expensive but if you're on a budget look on amazon, you can find some clones that are reasonably priced and just as good.

@John Setzler mine are about that in my gym. 8 works fine, and I'm 6'3". Most of the exercises are leaning back using your body weight at different angles. You'll be fine. I use TRX along with my Concept 2 rower, a treadmill and a spin bike which covers everything I could possibly want to do.

2 hours ago, K-ville said:

@John Setzler mine are about that in my gym. 8 works fine, and I'm 6'3". Most of the exercises are leaning back using your body weight at different angles. You'll be fine. I use TRX along with my Concept 2 rower, a treadmill and a spin bike which covers everything I could possibly want to do.

I have been looking around at these things... tell me what you think of this:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B014QPR854/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=DN15L3DCVOAI&coliid=I1L8DP5G2729UC&psc=1

That's the one I got also. I think its just as good as TRX, buckles are the same... straps may be just a tiny bit thinner.. still works fine, though. I use a regular TRX at the gym and the other one at home. If I watched enough tv, I would try to get in the habit of doing exercises during commercials, but that ain't happened yet :)

• 2 weeks later...

I originally had mine on the wall but found that  I have a lot more freedom of movement - 360 degrees - if it is on the ceiling away from a wall. Glad it's working out for you. I just used mine last night after being away on an all-inclusive vacation in the Caribbean. Man oh man, am I feeling it today.

• 1 year later...