Norman

After almost 5 years..............

I purchased my Akorn almost 5 years ago, I love the grill, I cook in it very often.  Unfortunately, the ash pan is rusting and having holes close to the edge, I have contacted char-Griller but they say the ash pan and the lid only have a 1 year warranty, the main body has a 5 year warranty.  I live in Greenville SC, the winters are mild and I keep the grill covered when not in use.  I remember when I bought mine, one common question was the longevity of the grill.  Anyway, I'm thinking in buying a ceramic grill, I've been looking at the Vision Grill, my local Sam's are selling them for $549 + tax.  The cost of a new ash pan is $39.99 + tax + shipping, but I think spending the money for a ceramic kamado in the end will be cheaper. 

I took pictures and I do have the receipt when I bought the grill, which I have sent to char-griller.

Again, the grill is great, but I spent $324.00 for it, I think it should last more than 5 years or at least char-griller should have offer the part at a discount price.  Anyway, that's my personal opinion.

Norman.

If it's just holes in your ash pan you could probably seal those up with some RTV or foil tape and eek out a couple more years from the Akorn. That said, I've had 5 ceramic grills since my Akorn and am about to buy another 

Seems like a cheap fix for the Akorn, but if you're looking for a rationalization to get a new one, take it! FWIW I own a vision and am happy with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Frosch said:

I plan on happily paying the $40 for a new ash pan when my gets bad.

Totally dig this. Minor issue... fix it. Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.   Now, if you Already want a ceramic, this might be a outstanding time to make a change. Or better yet fix the Akron and add a ceramic.

A few things to consider:

1.  Your Akorn has cost you about $60 per year since your bought it.  For $40 more, you could extend its life another 5 years.

2.  While the body of a ceramic lasts a long time, there are other costs to consider.  First, you will go through about 2x the lump as with the Akorn.  (This measured between my Akorn and KJ.) The Akorn is surprisingly efficient, and considerable money can be saved depending on the number and types of cooks you typically make.  You will also replace the gasket more often.  Akorn lasts forever, vs. ceramic at about $20 per replacement.

In typical KG fashion, I have to encourage excess... For $324, a ceramic is a pretty great deal.  For $364 you could have both a ceramic and the Akorn up and running!

7 hours ago, paulleve said:

First, you will go through about 2x the lump as with the Akorn.

Im curious about how you've come to this conclusion. I never made a direct comparison but I don't recall my Akorn being noticeably more efficient than any of my ceramics. 

Seems as if the akon has served its purpose but now you have the opportunity to move up i would get the vision or there are other ceramic cookers out there  whatever you choose is up to you

The Akorn is more efficient for burning fuel although it hasn't been scientifically evaluated.  Maybe I give it a go when I upgrade.  That said, if you get an awesome deal on a ceramic then get one.  The Akorn is what it is and I went in knowing just that.  Mine's 3 years old with not many signs of fading.  I've thought about ceramics a lot and just can't seem to pull the trigger because the Akorn does the same thing with only minor complaints.  If mine becomes unusable for some reason it would make that decision a little easier but I may just end up buying another.

I guess I've been lucky. I'm also at the 5 year mark but I have zero signs of impending doom for my Akorn. Then again I've been pretty diligent about cleaning ashes out of the pan after cooks. In my experience, charcoal ash + a humid climate is a surefire way to rust out metal grill components. I like the idea of keeping the Akorn in service and taking advantage of the affordable ceramic, if your budget allows.

If my Akorn were to give up the ghost I might be interested in the Char Broil Kamander that someone posted a few months back. That bottom vent design intrigues me.

Another thought for you.... 

$549+ tax is full retail for a Vision. In years past they have been pretty heavily discounted towards the end of the 'grilling season'. If you can limp your Akorn along for another few months, the savings could certainly offset any repair costs that you lay out in the meantime. 

One more option would be the Kamado Joe refurbished units if you want to make the drive down to Atlanta. I picked up a Big Joe for $800 and am getting a Jr. tomorrow for $250. They are selling Classics for $500 and that includes the lifetime warranty and a bag of KJ lump. The supply is limited, but it is a hell of a bargain. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/fod/5986782383.html

4 hours ago, afingerhut said:

Im curious about how you've come to this conclusion. I never made a direct comparison but I don't recall my Akorn being noticeably more efficient than any of my ceramics. 

If grilling and that is primarily what I do 2x or 3 x more lump seems about right. The stove insulation really holds the heat. If you tout ch the shell of the Aklorn at 400 and a heat soaked ceramic you will feel the difference and that heat radiating out is lump that was burned. Taking shell temp is one of the standard things that the Naked Whiz does to measure lump consumption. Of course the Big Joe is a lot bigger and  is expected to use more. I easily have to buy double the lump  for the Big Joe.

Of course this is subjective. I really need to cook with a bag each of Royal Oak  in both and see exactly how much more. The Big Joe will certainly use more just like a Prius will use less gas than a Toyota 4 Runner.

1 hour ago, afingerhut said:

One more option would be the Kamado Joe refurbished units if you want to make the drive down to Atlanta. I picked up a Big Joe for $800 and am getting a Jr. tomorrow for $250. They are selling Classics for $500 and that includes the lifetime warranty and a bag of KJ lump. The supply is limited, but it is a hell of a bargain. https://atlanta.craigslist.org/nat/fod/5986782383.html

Wow wish I lived near there.