bobcef

New to Kamado Grilling

Hi I am from Buffalo NY and I'm expecting a Acorn Jr to be delivered tomorrow. Not new to grilling and smoking but new to Kamado.grilling. I was looking at a

Char-Griller Akorn Kamado Kooker at Home Depot that has a dent in the cover marked down to $199 and I was  intrigued by the unique style so I came home and started to read up on Kamado Grilling. That's how I found this forum. I have a Weber Smokey Mountain Smoker and a Char-Broil Gas to Coal grill but the interesting concept of Kamado cooking led me to try it out. I bought the Acorn Jr to see if I'm going to like it. Is the one at Home Depot worth buying?

Welcome to the Guru and yes get the large Akorn to go with the Jr, and they would probably take 150 for it just ask to speak with the store manager or dept manager because the lower level people will always say they can't do that. I have the Jr and it rocks so much that I am going to get another true Kamado called Komodo Kamado later this year. (I have said on the forum that it's called Buffalo Wings not Hot Wings):-D

Garvin

That is a very good price on a new Akorn as long as cooking is not affected (doubt it would be). You could potentially pull the dent out with some 'paintless dent repair' tools. Basically just hot gluing a tab to the metal and pulling on it with various tools (slide hammer, dent lifter, etc) that can be had pretty cheaply. Another option would be purchasing a new dome from Char Griller (https://www.chargriller.com/akorn-kamado-06620/top-half-red-900084) for $110, but that would start pushing the price up towards the price of an undamaged new Akorn.

1 hour ago, Garvinque said:

Welcome to the Guru and yes get the large Akorn to go with the Jr, and they would probably take 150 for it just ask to speak with the store manager or dept manager because the lower level people will always say they can't do that. I have the Jr and it rocks so much that I am going to get another true Kamado called Komodo Kamado later this year. (I have said on the forum that it's called Buffalo Wings not Hot Wings):-D

Garvin

Your right on with the Buffalo Wings. They originated here at the Anchor Bar. I'm going to Home Depot and talk to the manager..

The dent won't do a thing except give you a discount. I spent my college years at UB. My favorite place for wings is Elmo's on Millersport Ave near north campus.

Welcome to the Guru. A great place to learn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I finally went to Home Depot this morning. Had to pick up some lump charcoal. I went where they had that Acorn Kamado with the dent in the top to see if it was still there. Well it had another tag on it. Buy today take $50 off. Buy today with new Home Depot charge take $100 off. Wow that would make it $99 so I went to the maiin desk and said I wanted to buy it. They wheeled the grill up to the counter and the girl started the checkout and new account procedure. I already have a Home Depot Charge so I opened one in my son's name which just so happens to be the same as mine. o to make a long story short they also had a prmotion going on today 0% off any puchase of $25 or more so I got another $20 off. Final cost was $79.99 plus tax. I still can't believe it :-D