Still smoking.

macdiver5

Looks good!

Last weekend, I cooked (2) pork butts at 280* and it cut the cook time down to just 6 hours. These (2) butts were 7 pounders and I was shocked how fast they were done. Typically I shoot for 235* and cook times typically run about 10 hours. BTW these "280*" temp butts were just as good as the "235*"  IMHO.B)

When I do a low and slow with St Louis or Spare ribs I season them any where from 4 to 8hrs and cook until tender usually about 4.5 to 5.5hrs depending on temp of cooker. But if I am grilling the same style of rib I rub with vinegar let sit for a hour then season with rub, get cooker up to temp about 30mins, then grill over direct heat flipping every 15mins for about 2.5hrs.

Garvin

1 hour ago, Garvinque said:

When I do a low and slow with St Louis or Spare ribs I season them any where from 4 to 8hrs and cook until tender usually about 4.5 to 5.5hrs depending on temp of cooker. But if I am grilling the same style of rib I rub with vinegar let sit for a hour then season with rub, get cooker up to temp about 30mins, then grill over direct heat flipping every 15mins for about 2.5hrs.

Garvin

Gravin what temp do you use when direct grilling. Also do you find that flipping at 15 minute intervals causes the temp to climb. You are one of the few that talk about direct grilling ribs. I love it because any night can be rib night. As you say about 2 to 2.5 hrs.

I do mine direct on the Big Joe extension rack at 300. I let it go about an 1hr 30min then baste at 15 minute intervals.  3TTBS butter--1C apple cider--3TBs bourbon--3TBS soy sauce. I find that I have to close the bottom vent while the dome is open and also as things go on close the top vent a bit. If I do not the temp will really spike. A spike can easily burn a rub with sugar especially the Texas BBQ rub that i like. I It can burn because  it is mostly brown sugar. By the end I have a bed of coals that will take off if they get too much oxygen. I have even closed both the top and bottom vent before. In 15 minutes it can go from 300 to 400 easily with enough air.

3 hours ago, Marty said:

Gravin what temp do you use when direct grilling. Also do you find that flipping at 15 minute intervals causes the temp to climb.

I do these mainly on my Weber 22.5 kettle and the temp is usually around 300 to 325ish! Never really paid much attention to raising temps because I just flip and close the lid! When I do a direct rub cook I limit the sugar to the BBQ sauce at the end. Also the vinegar is key to opening the pours of the meat to allow for a faster cook and the rub to penetrate in such a short time.

Garvin

6 hours ago, Garvinque said:

I do these mainly on my Weber 22.5 kettle and the temp is usually around 300 to 325ish! Never really paid much attention to raising temps because I just flip and close the lid! When I do a direct rub cook I limit the sugar to the BBQ sauce at the end. Also the vinegar is key to opening the pours of the meat to allow for a faster cook and the rub to penetrate in such a short time.

Garvin

Doing it on the Weber explains a lot. Thanks. I will have to try the vinegar thing.