3 year old Akorn will not snuff out.

I had a slight runaway the other night cooking steaks.  Nothing too serious but afterwards the fire would not go out with vents all the way closed.  The grill maintained 200 degrees with both vents shut for two days.  I noticed the top vent gasket was almost gone so I sealed the top vent with copper RVT.  Now the fire will still not completely go out.  It will linger at 150 degrees for a couple of days after use.  The lid nomex gasket looks pretty crunchy.  I was thinking about adding some nomex oven gasket or BGE gasket to the bottom part of the lid to see if that will help.  The bottom vent and the ash pan gasket appears to be fine....

Thoughts?

Edited by studawg170

I had a slight runaway the other night cooking steaks.  Nothing too serious but afterwards the fire would not go out with vents all the way closed.  The grill maintained 200 degrees with both vents shut for two days.  I noticed the top vent gasket was almost gone so I sealed the top vent with copper RVT.  Now the fire will still not completely go out.  It will linger at 150 degrees for a couple of days after use.  The lid nomex gasket looks pretty crunchy.  I was thinking about adding some nomex oven gasket or BGE gasket to the bottom part of the lid to see if that will help.  The bottom vent and the ash pan gasket appears to be fine....

Thoughts?

They sell stove pipe cement on amazon. I would use it instead of rvt sealet

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

Thoughts?

Make sure the ash pan latches are really latched onto the ash pan.
You definitely have a air leak. Do the dollar bill test around lid and ash pan too.
Don't use anything larger than a $5.00 bill tho!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I used to have the same issue with my Akorn. "Pressure testing" with some smoking wood is a good idea. Keep an eye for rust through on the ash pan. Mine started to develop small holes around the edge. Also, the two pieces of the top damper can let a little air in.

• 4 months later...

that is surprising to hear that it can actually keep burning when fully closed up for 2 days.  I have actually dropped my cgk ..fell right over when it was getting moved from the shed.

the lid did get out of alignment and to this day I still have leaks around the lid but still when I close it down it is cool enough to put the cover on within 3 hours.  I have on order

a nomex type felt gasket which should be here by july 10 and I hope that will fix the leak around the lid.  I never really had an leaks from the ash pan but the gasket was replaced recently anyway.  my CGK is around 5 or 6 years old and is used several times a month.  I have had water occasionally in the ash pan, but only rarely.  still never had any rust anywhere that I can see.