Hanger Steak

pesto3

Well well well, I'm not sure if the Americans call this a hanger steak or not but the one thing for sure is I am hooked!

A while a go I went on the hunt for Tri-Tip and my "go to butcher said "why do you want that?" what you want is the hanger steak. So I bought it and threw it in the freezer and forgot about it. So today I finished early and went to get some dry aged steaks out of the freezer and came across the hanger steak and thought, why not.

3a9f229b8ca20e641a0cae5544cdd94d.jpg

Very happy with the early finish...

5d7b66984eef9fdba6a785e9695f56fe.jpg

85bd9a6ceaaa8e37987ac4614e25ca7d.jpg1e632fcb7eccb5ff66019897b18256e3.jpg107981446aacd7204e1d34f1d4fa1c13.jpg9f610e87d0c4b732ad1b0611c2605642.jpgec4baaeecaa72508c08ecb433213666c.jpg5f97d50fd6d33b3935598a76220f8313.jpg246cd2d201f8268d564451d387468a90.jpg

Seasoned with salt and garlic, this was unbelievable!

I have 1 Tri-Tip and 1 hanger steak in the freezer.....I see a cook off coming on!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good looking steak the color was great, and tell your butcher that Tri Tip is banging also! Both are great but so different, Tri Tip can be cook as a roast or cut into steaks and Hanger Steaks have competition from Skirt Steaks and Flank Steaks. But in the end can't go wrong with either cut.

Garvin

That steak looks fantastic. However, to me it looks more like a skirt steak.  What is sold as hanger steak here is a more narrow piece of meat about 8-10 inches long with a piece of connective tissue running right down the middle, lengthwise. I'll see if I can find a picture somewhere.

Regardless your steak looks fantastic.

That steak looks fantastic. However, to me it looks more like a skirt steak.  What is sold as hanger steak here is a more narrow piece of meat about 8-10 inches long with a piece of connective tissue running right down the middle, lengthwise. I'll see if I can find a picture somewhere.
Regardless your steak looks fantastic.

Interesting! He sold me 2 pieces and the other piece was considerably narrower. I wonder if it's just different terminology for is (this happens a lot) or he just sold me the wrong piece or just had the names confused? Anyway, I need to get more of what ever this was lol.

Interesting! He sold me 2 pieces and the other piece was considerably narrower. I wonder if it's just different terminology for is (this happens a lot) or he just sold me the wrong piece or just had the names confused? Anyway, I need to get more of what ever this was lol.

Is that the same as flat iron steak? We find it often at Kroger, inexpensive and cooked fast it tastes great. Sliced thin. Did I mention inexpensive? It's usually sealed in some kind of small cryo-type packaging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is that the same as flat iron steak? We find it often at Kroger, inexpensive and cooked fast it tastes great. Sliced thin. Did I mention inexpensive? It's usually sealed in some kind of small cryo-type packaging.

Yeah I'm not sure mate. I only thought it was hanger steak because that's what I was sold.
So many different names and cuts.

We have a local restaurant or three, they sell hanger steak at $20 per serving. Sliced just like I do the flat iron, and has just about the identical shape, and flavor. I guessing they are the same. A similar piece at Kroger is about $8 I barely enjoy going out for dinner anymore since I started cooking on the kamado, it just tastes better, and costs way less. Plus, I love the smiles at the table.

We have a local restaurant or three, they sell hanger steak at $20 per serving. Sliced just like I do the flat iron, and has just about the identical shape, and flavor. I guessing they are the same. A similar piece at Kroger is about $8 I barely enjoy going out for dinner anymore since I started cooking on the kamado, it just tastes better, and costs way less. Plus, I love the smiles at the table.

We rarely eat out and when we do we get annoyed. We went away for the weekend and everything we ate was subpar. It's like we eat like kings at home. Simple food cooked well.

Well well well, I'm not sure if the Americans call this a hanger steak or not but the one thing for sure is I am hooked!
A while a go I went on the hunt for Tri-Tip and my "go to butcher said "why do you want that?" what you want is the hanger steak. So I bought it and threw it in the freezer and forgot about it. So today I finished early and went to get some dry aged steaks out of the freezer and came across the hanger steak and thought, why not.
3a9f229b8ca20e641a0cae5544cdd94d.jpg
Very happy with the early finish...
5d7b66984eef9fdba6a785e9695f56fe.jpg
85bd9a6ceaaa8e37987ac4614e25ca7d.jpg1e632fcb7eccb5ff66019897b18256e3.jpg107981446aacd7204e1d34f1d4fa1c13.jpg9f610e87d0c4b732ad1b0611c2605642.jpgec4baaeecaa72508c08ecb433213666c.jpg5f97d50fd6d33b3935598a76220f8313.jpg246cd2d201f8268d564451d387468a90.jpg
Seasoned with salt and garlic, this was unbelievable!

I have 1 Tri-Tip and 1 hanger steak in the freezer.....I see a cook off coming on!

Fabulous Pesto. Perfectly cooked steak on KJ + Corona. That's my kind of meal. I'm with you. Home cooking is a lot of fun and it's pretty difficult for the restaurants to do better than what my wife and I create at home. And I don't have to worry about the booze bus when you're already at home.