Sign in to follow this  
jrow17

Grill grates yes or no

Thinking of getting the grill grates this weekend just wanted to here from the Gurus here to see if they really like them.

Jrow

YES!!! They are great grates! John has a review on his YouTube Channel that gives them all thumbs up! You'll never use anything else once you've seared a steak using Grill Grates. They are a must for the serious reverse sear chef! :D

Eli - It's the difference between a Ford Fusion and an F1 Ferrari. Both have 2 Fs, both have an engine, 4 tires, a steering wheel, brakes, and a seat for the driver. That's where the similiarities end. No flare up is very important to me. No charred meat. Perfectly seared steaks, chops, etc. Your basic grates on your grill are the Ford Fusion. Grill Grates are the F1 Ferrari. Everyone I know that has seen me use them asks the same question. After they eat the steak off my Grill Grates they go home and order some. Enough said! :D

I'm not as taken with GrillGrates for steaks. They turn out pretty grill marks, but I want more of a sear between the grate marks on my steaks than I get with GrillGrates.

I much prefer cast-iron grates with nothing but fire and heat between each grate. The CI also gives pretty good looking grill marks and a better looking steak to my eye.

And during the cook -- to medium rare -- if I get too much flare up, I move the steaks to the cooler side of the grill.

That said, I will repeat myself about GrillGrate's excellent customer service when I had a problem with fit.

RWHinton and fellow kamado cooks - I should have said in my previous post that I'm a reverse sear kind of guy, i.e. I slowly bring my meat up to a temp of about 130*F, take it off the fire, let it rest while I get the Primo up to 600*-700*F. Then it's on the grill grates to an internal of 135* and on to the plate!

No flare up is very important to me. No charred meat. Perfectly seared steaks, chops, etc.

Have you ever actually had a flare-up that reached anywhere near the grate on a kamado, and if so, how on earth did you accomplish that?

Put me down as a vote on the 'no thanks' list. I'm happy with the CGK's stock cast iron grate.

No flare up is very important to me. No charred meat. Perfectly seared steaks, chops, etc.

Have you ever actually had a flare-up that reached anywhere near the grate on a kamado, and if so, how on earth did you accomplish that?

Put me down as a vote on the 'no thanks' list. I'm happy with the CGK's stock cast iron grate.

Yeppers, I most certainly have had flare-ups when doing a very close sear over direct heat with about a dozen rib eyes on the grill. Not my proudest moment as a backyard chef! But then, for the group I was cooking for, another trip to the liquor cabinet and more bourbon, PROBLEM SOLVED! :lol:

The Primo allows you a number of grate settings that many other kamados simply don't have! :D

Y'all have great Grate cooks and make some memories with family and friends! 8-)

I use my grill grates regularly and really am pleased with them. I agree with rwhinton that you don't get the same type of charring you get using CI, and for those cooks where I want that, I dont use them. But, for burgers, certain cuts of steak, firm fish, chicken breasts, shrimp, scallops, lamb chops, veal chops, pork chops and vegetables, they are my go-to grate. The fork/spatula tool is a truly inspired creation. Overall, I think they were well worth the $.

I thought they were the dumbest idea ever until someone I know who just happened to win the world championship steak cookoff suggested I look into them. I was still very skeptical and didnt buy them for several months later when I ran across a sale. Now, I wish I hadnt waited so long. I think its one of those things you actually have to use before you can appreciate it...unt then it just seems like a gimmich.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

I can see GrillGrates for the gas grill. For a lot of gassers that is the only way to get grill marks.

They do stop flare ups and on a gas grill--- this is a big thing.

When people post pictures with those wide perfect grate marks that look like a TV show--each time I have asked --GrillGrates were used.

The thing that I do not like is the over all surface is not charred and crusty. The GG seems to gather the heat and concentrate it where the marks are made. Your browning is concentrated on the grill marks.

For steaks I prefer the cast iron grate well heated and the coals directly under it or the infrared on my gas grill. With those i get a even brown crusty surface on my steaks. I start with grill marks and end up with an even brown crust--not burned.

I do think that the GrillGrate does make hitting the 125 mark a bit easier because the heat is less intense than a sear with the coals directly under the grate.