I've had my Akorn for almost two years now, and thought I'd give quick review as to how it's holding up.

Akorn 100.jpg

First some details.  I picked up this Akorn for $250 at Walmart in Spring of '15.  (It still had a clearance price tag on it from the previous fall/winter.) In the last two years I have lit the grill 186 times. haven't done any low and slow yet, but I have tried lots of different cooks at varying temps.  If I had to describe an average cook, it would be at about 400F for around 1 hour.  When I keeping close track of charcoal consumption I was averaging 20-23 burns per bag of Royal Oak lump. That is efficient!

I live in Massachusetts and keep my Akorn stored on a covered porch. I don't have a cover for the Akorn, but it rarely gets wet where it is located. I store it with all vents closed and keep whatever charcoal is left from the last burn sitting in the fire bowl.  The ash bin only gets emptied out after each complete bag of lump is burned.

Worthwhile Additions:  Here are four accessories that extend what I am able to cook on the Akorn. 

Akorn 200.jpg

Paella Pan - This 15" paella pan fits inside the Akorn and allows the lid to close completely.  Making paella from scratch is about a 90 minute project, but it's a lot of fun to hang out with friends while cooking it!

Akorn 201.jpg

Cast Iron Pans - I have various sizes that get used regularly.  Pies, pot pies, and cobblers all come out great in the pan shown above, while I use slightly smaller ones to grill up peppers and onions while chicken or steak is cooking.

Akorn 202.jpg

Cast Iron Griddle - This Lodge is reversible and can easily accommodate four smash burgers at a time.  The accessory rack can also be installed while the griddle is in place so buns can be toasted.

Akorn 203.jpg

Cast Iron Wok - This Mr. BBQ Cast Iron Wok is great for putting a serious sear on vegies!  On the bottom rack it's easy to hit temps of 650-700F, which causes vegetables to sear rather than steaming.  The result is food that tastes like it comes from a Chinese restaurant.

Durability:  It seems like every review of the Akorn questions its durability. Here are some pics showing what mine looks like after two years and almost 200 burns:

Akorn 101.jpg

Yup, that's an ash pan with shining enamel after two years of solid use!  The original finish is completely intact.

Akorn 102.jpg

The fire bowl has most of its original enamel intact.  There is a little rippling toward the bottom where the fire burns hottest, and light rust is visible where the standoffs are welded to the bowl.

Akorn 103.jpg

This is the interior of the Akorn with the fire bowl removed and ash pan installed.  That lighter colored ring is where Akorns tend to rust out.  If water gets in that small lip will keep it sitting there.

Akorn 104.jpg

The only actual signs of corrosion are found on the bottom tray.  (Rain and snow sometimes does accumulate there.)

In terms of durability, this Akorn is going strong! The only part that I may replace in the next year is the charcoal grate which has warped due to heat. (It hasn't changed much since I noticed the warping last year.)  Other than that, the Akorn is holding up great!

Mine is 3 years old and while not as clean it's still holding up well too.  You get out what you put in and it looks like you've put in quite a bit.  It kind of chafes my chaps a little when I see people putting up bad reviews of the Akorn.  Yes there are bad ones from the factory but that's what warranties are for.  But if yours is rusting out you likely haven't taken very good care of it and you can't blame the grill for that, especially since you know you're buying a piece of metal that sits outside.

My jaw dropped when you said 186 lights and the fact that you kept track, but it hit the fooor when you said you haven't done low n slow yet. Haha.

i have 2 lights and 1 cook....1 low n slow. Tempted to do a grilling this weekend, thinking burgers. 

Also, plan to keep  mine covered and store indoors during winter. I live in MA as well. It will be outside came spring not under a roof. Hope for min 5 years but really want 7 -10. We'll see. 

10 minutes ago, New_England_Akorn said:

My jaw dropped when you said 186 lights and the fact that you kept track, but it hit the fooor when you said you haven't done low n slow yet. Haha.

i have 2 lights and 1 cook....1 low n slow. Tempted to do a grilling this weekend, thinking burgers. 

Also, plan to keep  mine covered and store indoors during winter. I live in MA as well. It will be outside came spring not under a roof. Hope for min 5 years but really want 7 -10. We'll see. 

Ha - I started keeping track of my cooks in a small notebook and I'm glad I did!  I record each cook as well as temps, recipes, and notes.  When I need to figure out that chicken fajita marinade I no longer go to the recipe cards, I just open the log book! Just made paella last weekend and the recipe and notes were right where I knew I'd find them.

You should be covered for five years against rust through under warranty.  As long as no water is allowed to sit in your Akorn, I wouldn't worry about rusting out.   I have no doubt mine will last a full ten years at this rate. 

1 hour ago, Likes Big Butts said:

But if yours is rusting out you likely haven't taken very good care of it and you can't blame the grill for that, especially since you know you're buying a piece of metal that sits outside.

To anyone who leaves theirs uncovered outside, I would recommend filing some drain holes into that lip in the bottom of the grill's body.  Water sitting there is what rusts out the bottom of the Akorn.  I'd rather have the water drip into the ash pan which is relatively cheap to replace.Akorn 103.jpg

43 minutes ago, New_England_Akorn said:

Unrelated to the Akorn but I inherited a Weber Genesis from 2008 that has been covered 95% over the years but it has seen its share of rainstorms overnight without the cover. 0 rust.

The Genesis is a great grill. (Too bad mine sits unused most of the time while the kamados get all the glory!)  Gas grills are no way near air tight so when the water gets in it has lots of way to get out.  Once water gets into an Akorn it will sit for a long time, and that's not good!

On 2/23/2017 at 1:22 PM, New_England_Akorn said:

Mine has a great rotisserie and I'll use that and use it for grilling during the week when I don't have hours to screw around. I plan to use and enjoy the kamado during the weekends when I have some leisure.

@New_England_Akorn

What kind of ROTIS works great on the Akorn?

I've had mine just under three years. I bought it through craigslist, but the prior owner had only seasoned the grate then put it in the shed for a year. Mine is outdoors, covered, year round. I mostly grill and bake in it, though I have done slow cooks on meat and stew. I haven't examined it minutely, but I would say it is still in like new condition. The grate had one crack when I bought it, it still has one crack. I would recommend this grill to anyone.