loochie

komodo kamado hidden gem? craigslist.

10 minutes ago, UTVol said:

I frequently see the RK cookers pop up here in restorations or on CG ads and the connotation of them is never overly positive.  Just curious, what's the issue with the RK kamados?

The main issue is the grout that was used to adhere the tiles fails over time and tiles start falling off. From time to time you can find a RJ kamado still in decent shape but they are few and far between. Even then with use tiles will start falling off eventually. 

There can also be other problems but that's the main issue and can be significant unless you know what you're getting into. 

Yes, that is a Richard Johnson Kamado K7 model.  Missing or damaged elements on it:

Lid handle, in this year it was made of black glazed ceramic, with the word "Kamado" on it with raised letters.

Lower damper knob is broken in half, same construction method as the handle.

Framework for the right table.  Both tables are missing their teak wood inserts.

Expect the helper springs which lift the lids to have lost some of their spring, a 1 inch wood block placed in the tubes should fix this.

On the plus side, the tiles are in unusually good condition, which indicates a previous owner may have repaired the tiles.

It also had the optional stainless band set, which rusts less.

Things to check, should you go see it:

Does the upper damper screw up and down smoothly

Does the lower damper slide in and out easily.

Cracks

Is the firebox intact without serious cracks

Do the wheels on the castors roll without binding

Myself and Marauder are two of the old K7 pros around here, we know a thing or two about this model

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

Just from the description that's not a KK either. KK's don't have interior ceramic rings that would ever need replacing. Probably another RJ POSK. 

I seriously doubt you would ever find even the smallest used KK for under $1,000

I strongly agree with Ckreef's assertion on the second Kamado, but then, even the old Richard Johnson grills did not have Ceramic rings, they were refractory cement.  For the second add, a picture would remove all doubt to the paternity of the grill.

13 minutes ago, Addertooth said:

For the second add, a picture would remove all doubt to the paternity of the grill.

When a seller is not willing to post a picture makes you wonder. In my mind - no picture makes it an invalid post. 

12 hours ago, ckreef said:

The main issue is the grout that was used to adhere the tiles fails over time and tiles start falling off. From time to time you can find a RJ kamado still in decent shape but they are few and far between. Even then with use tiles will start falling off eventually. 

There can also be other problems but that's the main issue and can be significant unless you know what you're getting into. 

Interesting.  Thanks for the scoop ckreef.

i bow down to the KK gurus. I want to see one in person just to see what all the fuss is about. I do think they look cool in pictures.

I believe I can speak for KK owners, pictures absolutely do not do them justice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, adam319 said:

i bow down to the KK gurus. I want to see one in person just to see what all the fuss is about. I do think they look cool in pictures.

Give me a little notice and stop by Reef's Bistro. Not only can you see one in person I'll let you cook me and Mrs skreef dinner on it - LOL 

19 hours ago, adam319 said:

here is one on the tulsa OK craiglist

https://tulsa.craigslist.org/for/5973185330.html

I think this is most likely another seller that has the terms Kamado and Komodo confused, assuming that they are interchangeable terms, not understanding that one is the general type of grill versus the other being a specific brand, etc....  Same as my long winded post previously in this thread.  Especially when there is no picture posted and no real detailed description of the awesomeness of a KK.  My guess?  Whatever this is was probably bought at an estate sale, etc... And the seller is trying to flip it for a little profit.