Sign in to follow this  
Cookingfor8

Overview Video of The Big Steel Keg

Great review cooikingfor8! I was leaning toward the Keg but I got an offer I couldn't refuse for my Akorn. I still might get one in the future.

I think the Big Steel Keg is very well built. I looked at them in detail when I was shopping for a Kamado. The only part that kept me from being more interested in it was the overall size.

Cookingfor8, what is the exact diameter of the grill grate on that cooker? If I'm not mistaken, it was in the 15" range??

I think the Big Steel Keg is very well built. I looked at them in detail when I was shopping for a Kamado. The only part that kept me from being more interested in it was the overall size.

Cookingfor8, what is the exact diameter of the grill grate on that cooker? If I'm not mistaken, it was in the 15" range??

18.5 on the bottom rack.

That's good to know. I'm not sure how long it will be, but I'll be shopping for another Kamado down the road but I'll most likely be looking at a ceramic model. The Primo Oval XL has my attention at the moment... lol

That BSK receiver looks as if it's built to outlast the cockroach! If the rest of that BSK kamado is built like that it'll last beyond the kids! How much does that thing weigh? Could be just the thing for tailgating, family camp outs, dragging to the in - laws, etc. Thanks for a nice video!

Sent from my Galaxy SII using Tapatalk 2

That's a great video & thanks for sharing!

:cool:

Who makes these now? Seems as though there are 2 websites online, one stand alone & the other is a part of Broil King!! Is that model you have with the built in dolly still available, i.e., being manufactured? I see it on Amazon, but not listed on one of their current websites. If I had been aware of a fairly local dealer (50 miles), I would have considered one of these over the Primo Jr. Being able to move them over fairly rough ground is very important to me.

That is a great review. Now I know where the AKORN design came from. The lapped and riveted construction that the the top dome closes on to is exactly the same as the AKORN. The dome on the KEG looks like there would be more room than the AKORN. The rear hinge is much beefier also. I really like the idea of the trailer hitch portability. The AKORN top pivoting rack is almost a exact knock off from the KEG. The biggest thing for me is that on the KEG -- the bottom air vent is tight and exact in its adjustment and there is no tack welded seam to open up. Ultimately it come down to is the difference in price worth it? There is no doubt in my mind that the KEG is the better built of the two.

That's a great video & thanks for sharing!

:cool:

Who makes these now? Seems as though there are 2 websites online, one stand alone & the other is a part of Broil King!! Is that model you have with the built in dolly still available, i.e., being manufactured? I see it on Amazon, but not listed on one of their current websites. If I had been aware of a fairly local dealer (50 miles), I would have considered one of these over the Primo Jr. Being able to move them over fairly rough ground is very important to me.

There made by OMC (Company that owns Broil King).  They have 2 models.  One fully loaded with a wheeled stand. cast iron grate, side shelves, and hitch mount bracket.  The lower priced one doesn't have shelves, wheels, and the cast grate with upper rack.  The loaded ones called the Broil King Keg and the lower priced one is the Big Steel Keg.