Firebox Cracks

later4ya

Took these pics last Thurday. have a few cracks starting in my Big Joe firebox. Some are very fine– others, more pronounced. Just posting as a reference so that I can refer back to how long the box remains useful before there is a need to contact KJ for replacement.

IMG_2249.JPG

At rear of firebox...

IMG_2251.JPG

same place, different view...

IMG_2250.JPG

bottom front left.. this pic is looking from rear of Big Joe...

I don't think it's high temp cooks as much as high temp shutdowns. I do not cook at extremely high temps very often. I have done a few high temp cleanings at the end of cooks. Anyway, I have started to leave the top vent cracked a little when shutting down. Before then, I would just close everything up tight. I'm guessing that contributed to it.

18 hours ago, Rak73 said:

... My firebox is basically in 22 pieces LOL  

It works just fine, just dont lift it until the new one comes in.

15 minutes ago, Stile 88 said:

You could use refractory cement to fill it in and keep cooking or just keep cooking anyway i had cracks in my firebox like yours and was fine for many years

That's been the plan all along. The advice to lift it is a little concerning. Had never thought of that– and, I like to clean the bottom of the Big Joe from time to time. Most of the cracks are hairline and just started. I'm certain I'll have months and months of cooks on it.

I found a crack in mine the day after a pizza cook, I did this to it.  The new one is in the garage ready for any emergency need.  This is has working well for nearly 6 months, no sign of failure.

IMG_20160919_163519958_HDR_zpsrkdyxkci.j

IMG_20160919_161759451_zpsxikabfff.jpg

I used SS lock wire, I'll add that the ceramic is much harder than I imagined and it took some time to get all of those holes in in there!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Bomb Dog Barbecue
      Does anyone have any experience with grilling whole squid? I toured my local "international" (their term) grocery store today and one item I saw was fresh whole squid. 

I'd like to take a crack at grilling it, but don't want to waste money winging it. Any tips/guidelines you have would be appreciated! Happy grilling 
    • By COKAMADO
      All,

I am new to the site and messed up the location of my post by initially putting it in the introductions section. Below is the link to that post.

I am looking for ideas on small cracks forming in the firebox of my New Old Kinuura Yaki #5 Kamado.

Photo of kamado for fun

• By COKAMADO
      Hi all,

I am new to the site, but have loved reading over the last few days. I have owned a Kinuura Yaki #5 for about 3 years now, and it has lived at my FIL's house. Since this is the case, I am still a kamado novice! Finally I was able to bring it home after a long road trip! I know this specific kamado was purchased out of a Pachinko Palace in Sacramento many years ago. I am now the second owner of it. All things considered, this piece is in fantastic condition everything is together and in great working condition. 

As I was packing the kamado for the move, I noticed the firebox is starting to crack. I have seen tons of restorations on this page and know this fix is feasible. What I don't know is if this would be a good point to take the firebox out of the kamado fully and risk more damage (it seems to be cemented in place around the upper rim where the ring sits?), just to leave it be completely and see if it continues to crack, or just try to do a patch job on it while in the kamado. 

What are your thoughts?

• By Bomb Dog Barbecue
      I have a question for the community about fire construction and how much charcoal I should be using when I set up a cook. I have a KJ Classic III and have been using the SloRoller for all of my low and slow cooks.

On some of my larger cooks (one pork butt, a full brisket, and then two boneless pork shoulders) I have burned through all of my fuel before the cook was done. I filled the standard KJ ash basket with charcoal and then light it up with one KJ firestarter. I was smoking everything at around 250F and followed the heating method described by SmokingDad BBQ on his YouTube channel (it worked well!).

Does anyone have an image of what their charcoal looks like when setting up for a 10lb brisket or pork butt?
    • By BigBrownRonn
      This weekend I broke my firebox and don't know if its too old to repair because of parts. Can someone please help me. This grill has been in my family for over 40 years. Im Devistated!