2017 Pit Boss 24

DWRANGE

Hello all, I am new to this forum and Just purchased a 2017 Model of Pit Boss from Costco still at the $599.00 price from last year. After looking at the BGE and other Kamado grills for some time I decided to pull the plug and purchase this one. Assembly was easy, though the unit weighs a ton. The unit seems to be very well built in my opinion. Grill came packaged very nicely and was well secured in the box. This unit also came with a spider diffuser and cover. Things of change from the previous model in what I understand from researching this is, that the shelves are made of a type of solid sturdy plastic that seem very hefty and durable, unlike wood that needs lots of care if left in the elements, this should need very little care and time will tell if they hold up. The shelves if left to fall accidentally have a stop on them to keep them from hitting the Boss unlike previous models.  There is now also a perforated door in the lower vent area along with a solid door. I did pinch in the guide rails on the lower vent to better prevent the unit from getting air when shut down. The first night of grilling on it we made two thin crust pizzas that the wife and I thoroughly enjoyed (probably more fun deciding what to use for ingredients and building it together though I was probably more excited to use the grill for the first time). Pizzas took about 6 minutes to get done and the temp gauge attached to grill lid registered 650, I will use my digital meter the next time to see how accurate this lid mount thermometer is, I understand that most are not good at providing accurate readings. I feel the grill heated up fairly quickly seeing the smaller amount of wood I used and the temp of 20 degrees outside. After shutting down the grill and then looking at it the next day, I had some of my wood left so I know that the fire is getting smothered adequately. I look forward to many more cooks and smokes on it in the very near future. Hope this helped with anybody looking at purchasing a Pit Boss in the future. Best of Luck with your grilling adventures.

3329.gif

Welcome, Dwrange, very glad t have both you and your new 2017 Pit Boss with us. Lots of folks with Pit Boss grills here. They hit the market and instantly become pretty popular due to the price and quality. That is a very nice pie whether it is your 1st or 101st. I would claim that pizza in a flash. Nice cook, and glad that you are enjoying your entry into kamado cooking. Nothing justifies the cost of manado more than a taste of something delicious Off the grill. 

Welcome!  Was hoping to see the 2017 model in person but my Costco believes that spring is still a ways off and has no grills on the floor yet. 

BTW, the heat deflector they include now is a "plate setter" style (pottery kiln lingo) and not a spider.  The spider is a metal frame sold by Ceramic Grill Store that can among other things, hold a stone or half stone deflector as well as a wok, wearing grig or it can be used to raise the grates. It is a more versitile option that was also less expensive than the plate setter last year when the plate setter was not included which made it a no-brainer. With a free plate setter, I would still want a spider, but others may not. 

1 hour ago, m-fine said:

Welcome!  Was hoping to see the 2017 model in person but my Costco believes that spring is still a ways off and has no grills on the floor yet. 

BTW, the heat deflector they include now is a "plate setter" style (pottery kiln lingo) and not a spider.  The spider is a metal frame sold by Ceramic Grill Store that can among other things, hold a stone or half stone deflector as well as a wok, wearing grig or it can be used to raise the grates. It is a more versitile option that was also less expensive than the plate setter last year when the plate setter was not included which made it a no-brainer. With a free plate setter, I would still want a spider, but others may not. 

Thanks for the heads up on the spider clarification. Not all Costco's must have them yet from what you are saying. Winter is long from over here in Minnesota :) glad they had them our already.

They should be in all Costco's soon.  They start stocking the busiest Costco's and then the slower volume stores get them.  Mine has had them for over almost 2 weeks now.

Congratulations on your purchase!  Have had mine since last June and absolutely no problems since assembly.  Probably will get the CGS spider and a half-stone this year, (already have a full stone) but no other upgrades planned at this time.

I do hope the Ceramic Grill Store notices how many of these are out here and come up with some more accessories...

Nice pie, by the way!

• 2 weeks later...

New Costco in Tampa, opened three weeks ago. KJ road show left after a week and today I noticed the first showing of the Pit Boss. I have to say, good looking rig!! Tempted to buy one as a compliment to my Webber gasser and my KJ Classic! Price seemed outstanding. Will go back tomorrow for a closer inspection without the weekend crowds pushing me around!! :) 

I saw this in costco in va last week and went in the next day to buy and they had sold 6 of them. Only the floor model was left. I was able to snag it for $499 already assembled. I think I need to go back and tighten the bolts and double check assembly, but over all I'm excited about this purchase!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

You did good!  I don't think they are selling that fast yet at my Costco, but last week no one had power and this week our decks and patios are buried under a thick blanket of snow. They sold out in early May last year and I would expect they will get more attention again in April when Mother Nature cuts us some slack. 

• 1 month later...

I was checking out the 2017 model at Costco and it appears that the ceramic is quite a bit thicker than previous years models.

has anyone else noticed or compared them??