Ben S

Retrofit KJ hinge

I wonder what they did about the need for the latch to compress the gasket?

Very cool that they are bringing this to existing customers.

I have had zero issues (so far) with my hinge, but good to know this will be an option should something catastrophic happen.

At the moment it's pretty much a curiosity for me as well, but I whole heartedly salute the way KJ goes about it's business taking care of their loyal user base.

There will be a different, similar materials, gasket than in KJ II as Bobby mentioned. And regarding the latch, there are two metal bands that can hold it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

This is great news more because it further demonstrates the companies commitment to it's existing customers, rather than there is a new gadget I can buy for my Big Joe. Too many companies are all about chasing new business rather than looking after those who supported them to begin with. KJ clearly have a great balance here as both sets are important. 

I just hope they don't get a raft of fraudulent warranty claims on BJ hinges! 

I'm pretty sure warranty parts will be original style, as the new hinge will need bands changed and new gaskets etc. Those would be well beyond normal warranty for a hinge.

On that note, I would assume it would be offered with subsidised cost in case of warranty claim.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

This is very impressive.  It shows why people should choose to go KJ Red for their next Kamado purchase.  Most other companies would have left us old owners in the dust.

Bobby never gave-up and was determined to look after older clients wanting to upgrade their existing units. 

Great news.  I was going to have another go at adjusting my hinges, and replace the gaskets.  Now I'll just wait for the retrofit kit to come out.  I hope they offer it at a reduced price to KJ owners with the old hinge.  My hinge, although still functional in that it opens with a little bit of a grunt and stays open by itself, will allow the kamado top to slam down if not gently closed and ruin a set of gaskets in a heartbeat, not to mention potential catastrophic failure of the ceramic shell.

Amber told me it will be several months before they have a solution for how this new hinge will fit the old kamado. I will gladly buy one, I am sporting a purple thumbnail from my lid slamming down on it. 

Ive had a shipping slip for almost two weeks for a new old style hinge that hasn't been shipped yet. Hoping that fixes it but it will only be temporary until they get the new style working. 

Interesting development, just bought mine but I could be open to shelling out a little money for this.  I think the new gasket is probably superior anyway and being able to have my wife lift the lid might help with four handed cooking.  She can not lift the lid as is, perhaps I need an adjustment?  Have to look up how to do that I guess.