2 posts in this topic

How to trim them in to St. Louis cut, rubbing them, and cooking them.

Dry Rub:

2 Tbsp paprika

1 Tbsp black pepper

1 Tbsp coarse salt

1 Tbsp brown sugar

1/2 Tbsp chili powder

1/2 Tbsp garlic powder

1/2 Tbsp onion powder

1 tsp cayenne.

Rib Sauce: 
6 oz tomato paste
6 oz water
6 oz vinegar (white, cider, or a mixture of both)
1+ Tbsp molasses
1+ Tbsp white sugar
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp celery salt
1 tsp black pepper

TKOBBQ and K-ville like this

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Big Biscuit
      This is my cook from Sunday afternoon. I was feeling the need to smoke up some ribs during the week so I took two racks out of the freezer Friday night. Put them in the fridge to defrost slowly and safely. Sunday came around I couldn't make up my mind of which rub that I wanted to use for this cook. So I just decided to fly by the seat of my pants and make one on a whim. I coated the ribs lightly on the bone side with the rub. Let it set for ten minutes before I flipped them over onto a cookie rack and liberally the rub to the meaty side. Then into the fridge they went. An hour and a half had gone by before I decided to head out an fire up my Kamado Joe. As I was approaching my patio I had realized that I haven't used the Weber Smokey Mountain in a while. So I scrapped the plan to use the KJ and started up the wsm instead. As I lit 15 briquettes of some Royal Oak charcoal I lined the waterpan of the wsm with foil. I like running it dry, it just makes cleanup that much easier. After I get the Weber settled in at 250* I threw the ribs on.
      After two hours of undisturbed rest I got up to look at the ribs. They had a nice little bark/crust going and the rub wasn't going to be coming off easily. It was at that moment I decided to glaze the ribs. I ran in the house grabbed some bbq sauce, apple cider vinegar, ancho chile powder, and cayenne powder and whipped up a quick glaze. Went back out and started to glaze the ribs every half hour for the rest of the cook. When the time came to pull them off the grill and let them rest I was getting a little anxious. I've never just throw stuff to0gether and see if it works. I always have a plan and stick to it. After a nice twenty minute rest while my wife prepped sides the moment of truth was fast approaching. I start to cut the first rack up and they were cooked perfectly. I grabbed one of the meatier ribs took a bite and I was very surprised. These had to have been the best rack of ribs I've made all year! The bite was clean, there wasn't any tug, the meat didn't fall off the bone, and it had a nice smoke ring. It just goes to show some times spontaneity just works. Enjoy the pics!

• By Bob Fletcher
      Got my Big Joe a couple weeks ago and have logged a few cooks (3 bags worth,) including pizza, pork chops, sourdough french bread, sourdough hamburger buns, and more.  Have turned out some good food, but still fighting the learning curve.  Think I get too anxious and get the grill over heated, even though I have read enough to know better...  However, I did do a bit of mod on the Joe to tighten up the slider and daisy wheel so they don't move every time I open the grill and a bit of work to get the bottom vent so it isn't quite so loose.  These things seem to have made a significant difference. 

Last nights cook included St Louis style ribs, per one of Johns Kamado Joe Cooking recipes, followed by an apple streuselkuchen.  So what did I learn?  A lot!  In the past I have always soaked my seasoned ribs in beer and then pre-cooked them in the oven.  The process removes a lot of the rub.  So, I ended up using too much dry rubs and the ribs were a bit to spicy for the boss!  Next time I'll need to lay off a bit on the rub, or put varying amounts of rub on the different racks to have mild, medium, and hot ribs.

Near the end of the ribs, I opened things up a bit and brought the grill up to about 400, and boy did all those drippings start to smoke!  Waited as long as I thought necessary, but still a bit of dark smoke coming from all the drippings, then I put the streuselkuchen on.  Yep, you guessed it.  The streuselkuchen cooked perfectly, but has a real mild bbq flavor to it.  Don't know if all were just being polite or not, but they still said it was great.  Next time need to put a drip pan down on the heat deflectors, or cover them with foil, which I can strip before cooking a dessert, or let the grill run until the smoke goes away.

Sorry, no pics this time, I can only learn one thing at a time :-)!  That streuselkucken is fantastic stuff and you can vary the toppings to your liking, so if anyone wants, I can post that recipe.

Oh yeah, next week's cook is going to be John's cherry glazed pork loin, potatoes au gratin (think I might add crisped bacon to the layers and leave off the pepperoni,) steamed broccoli, and finish the cook with the blueberry cobbler.  A HUGE thanks to John for all those cooking videos, otherwise I am sure I would have three bags worth of cremations ;->

Cheers from Alaska!

• By John Setzler

Here's another quick and dirty weeknight meal from the Man Cave kitchen....

Man Cave Spaghetti Sauce

Ingredients:

1 pound jimmy dean sweet italian sausage 1/2 pound ground chuck 1 large onion, chopped 4 cloves garlic, minced 2 14oz cans diced tomatoes 4 14oz cans tomato sauce 1 tablespoon italian seasoning 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon black pepper 1 teaspoon honey 1 dark chocolate hershey's kiss   Directions:   In a stock pot, brown the sausage and ground beef with the onions and garlic.  DO NOT RINSE/DRAIN.  Once the meat is browned and crumbled, add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a boil.  Immediately reduce the heat, cover, and let simmer for at least an hour.   Serve over your favorite pasta and garnish with freshly grated parmesan cheese...   Good stuff
    • By bjunge
      I haven't searched it out, but has anyone used Chili Dan's Start to Finish sauce?  Friend of mine brought some back from a recent trip to Ohio where she met the guy who makes and sells it.   Absolutely awesome on wings with nothing else necessary... 

S/P the wings and on to the upper deck of the Vision at 400 direct for 15, flip and 15 more.

Move to indirect, sauce, run for 5 and flip/sauce every 5 for 15-20 or until they get where you want 'em.  I do another quick 3 minutes per side back on direct at the end to crisp 'em up.

Was a great night for a cigar and wings (and unfortunately, a Lightning loss in the Cup Finals).

Cheers!

• By Bigs
      This is mostly for Canadian just because I'm not sure how much shipping to the US is, but with the current exchange rate, it may be worth it.

Their sauce is pretty awesome but never tried their seasoning.  I ordered 2!    You get everything below for $18.97cad + taxes + shipping.  

http://cattleboyz-foods-ltd.myshopify.com/products/cattleboyz-starter-kit

1 bottle Big Country Garlic Seasoning
      1 bottle Gourmet Seasoning & Rub
      1 bottle Smokey Southwest Seasoning & Rub
      1 bottle Smokin' & Grillin' Seasoning & Rub
      1 bottle Original BBQ Sauce
      1 bottle Sweet Chili BBQ Sauce

http://www.cattleboyz.com/