new Vision Series B fails the "dollar bill test"

jbrown

Did a pizza as a first cook last night, and struggled to get it red hot. Closed it all down last night and checked this morning - pretty much all the lump is exhausted and it's still around 125-150. Did the quick dollar bill test around the perimeter at multiple places and it pulls out pretty freely. What do I need to do to fix this?

I had the same problem with mine.
If you remove the damper/shock receiver from the lid you should find that you have a good seal.
If you do then a little material removal will work.
If you still want to use that piece you will need to elongate round out that piece so you can move it slightly up to get a good seal.
It's made of good stainless steel and not a real easy job to do.
A drill, dremel and rat tail file will get the job done.
I have heard of users just removing that piece and not using it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maybe theJoe is made better, those gaskets or what's left don't look good.
Brisket? Looks fantastic!!
You really can't compare different grills against each other and expect the same results.
First two times I shut down my Vision next day I had very little charcoal left compared to when I shut it down. It continued to burn with both vents shut, unlike my Akron or a Joe.
I had major air leaks, not only from lid, but from lower vent also when closed.
A few adjustments made and some RTV and no more problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I seen pictures on here of even visions with gaskets really bad but still able to hold temp. Really just loosen bands and push lid down and re-tighten be careful not to over tighten or you could damage your grill .Assuming you had enough charcoal loaded it might have been your grate was slightly clogged ,when cleaning load grill with larger chunks on grate first to help keep air flow good, but you should have no problem getting to 500 + ,keep in mind if you go much over that your gaskets will not last very long,with felt gaskets.   

The Vision Classic B was my first kamado, I did a high temperature burn in and wrecked the gasket. Vision sent me a replacement and I have been fine since. I still have the front shock, but replaced the bottom grate with the Kick Ash Basket. It's been stable since.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

On 3/4/2017 at 8:22 AM, jbrown said:

Did a pizza as a first cook last night, and struggled to get it red hot. Closed it all down last night and checked this morning - pretty much all the lump is exhausted and it's still around 125-150. Did the quick dollar bill test around the perimeter at multiple places and it pulls out pretty freely. What do I need to do to fix this?

Well that is two separate conflicting issues.

For the first problem:

How much lump did you put in? What brand of lump did you use? How long did you leave it open? I have a Pit Boss which is very similar to the Vision. I like to leave a hole in the middle to ensure I have good airflow. When I want it hot and fast, I use 3 chimney starter squares and it gets screaming hot. I also have a weed burner that will get it crazy hot in about 30 seconds if I'm really impatient (after work late night cooking).

For the second problem:

There's only so many places where it could leak: bottom vent, top vent, main grate, thermometer. Maybe your hinge is misaligned?

On 3/10/2017 at 1:16 PM, michaelt said:

Well that is two separate conflicting issues.

For the first problem:

How much lump did you put in? What brand of lump did you use? How long did you leave it open? I have a Pit Boss which is very similar to the Vision. I like to leave a hole in the middle to ensure I have good airflow. When I want it hot and fast, I use 3 chimney starter squares and it gets screaming hot. I also have a weed burner that will get it crazy hot in about 30 seconds if I'm really impatient (after work late night cooking).

For the second problem:

There's only so many places where it could leak: bottom vent, top vent, main grate, thermometer. Maybe your hinge is misaligned?

Put in lump about an inch above the air holes on the side. Left it open for 10-15 minutes IIRC. Lump was whatever Sams Club had :)

You can also get upgraded gaskets from vision made from nomex instead of wool so that it can handle high heat better.

Also I tested not having the piston and seeing whether I had air leaks or anything and I didn't really but was able to slightly adjust the piston to get it to seal just alittle better but if I needed any tighter I would've had to oblong the holes like said above, maybe a good idea?

The smoke test would be your best idea as that helped me locate a lot of leaks I didn't know I had (I have the pro s which it was leaking from behind the ashdoor gasket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I made some minor adjustment to mine by 1. Removing the shock plate on lid so it's not interfering, loosening an then retightening bands to adjust the fit.

Also I have found 1" kiln spacers on amazon great for elevating charcoal grate allowing much more airflow. Nomex replacement for felt after it aged sealed it up nicely an no problems since it snuffed flames every time. Also seal bottom vent outside edge if needs it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk