John Setzler

Charboss Grill Scraper

CB0449.jpg

http://www.charboss.com

I was at the HPB Expo in Atlanta last week and stumbled across the Charboss booth.  I had seen these wooden grill scrapers before but never paid them much attention.  I have been using the Weber-style wire bristle brushes for years and never had any issues with them.  As always, I do continue to hear the stories of those bristles breaking off and ending up in your food.  Not good.

I decided to stop at their booth and have a look at the product.  I spoke with one of their representatives for a while and showed me the features of this grill scraper.

CB0450.jpg

On the 'down' side of the scraper, there is a wooden tooth that helps guide the scraper along your grill so it won't slide to the left or right...

CB0451.jpg

There is the ever-handy bottle opener on the back side of the scraper!

CB0452.jpg

On the edge of the scraper is the scraping flange that allows you to reach under the grill bar and scrape the bottom side as shown in the next photo...

CB0453.jpg

You can also use this flange to assist in lifting out a hot grill grate if necessary.

In order to 'form' the grill scraper to my grill, I heated up the grill to about 500 degrees and pressed the scraper down on the grill grates firmly and let it slide back and forth with some pressure several times.   I repeated that procedure several times using the wooden tooth as a guide to keep my scraper in the same position along the grill grates...

CB0454.jpg

This process allows the scraper to custom form to the shape and dimensions of MY grill for a custom fit.  I repeated the process a few times after the grooves started to form with the top side facing down to make the slots more uniform...

CB0455.jpg

Now that these slots are formed, I will NOT use the scraper on the grill grates while they are that hot again.  I will let the grill cool a bit before using it to keep the slots from burning too deep, but this scraper should out last my wire brushes and also eliminate the possibility of wire debris in my grill or in my food.  

I like it! I have had the unfortunate experience of having a wire bristle stuck on the back of my tongue. Scary for me, humorous for the family watching me try to hack something out of throat. Had to use tweezers to pull it out. After that episode, I will be a buyer of this scraper!

I did almost the same thing with an old worn out brush several years ago.   Unriveted the brush from the handle part and drilled holes and finished off with moto tool cutting tool.  Only drawback....it fits my Weber kettle grill and nothing else.  Luckily my aftermarket grate fit in my PB so it's still usable.   And, I can use it on a hot grate which makes it a lot easier to remove gunk.

P1010459.JPG

I was literally talking to my wife about trying to find something like this today! She wants to get me accessories and after hearing the stories about brushes I told her I refuse to use any brush with metal in it (there's various types) and said I wanted something that was natural and didn't shed onto the grate, also like one of those stone ones that hd sells now. Thank you for this review! I will be buying one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am going to order a second one to use on my Big Joe...

At first I was debating waiting till after I may have gotten new grates from cgs but after seeing how cheap they are I will be getting one immediately and getting another if needed later on, definitely an awesome invention!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was just at the big orange home store this weekend! I saw one of these tools, not the one you posted. The one at home d was not as cool with bottle opener and side scraper. It did have a para cord grip. They look like a nice tool to have. I gather that when used on hot grates the wood burns and conforms to the grates. Looks like I am headed back to buy and try.

6 hours ago, deck said:

I was just at the big orange home store this weekend! I saw one of these tools, not the one you posted. The one at home d was not as cool with bottle opener and side scraper. It did have a para cord grip. They look like a nice tool to have. I gather that when used on hot grates the wood burns and conforms to the grates. Looks like I am headed back to buy and try.

I took my grill up to 500 to get the wood to conform to the grate shape.  That tooth on the bottom made it easy to do that.  Let me know what you get from your store and post some photos of it here if you don't mind...

42 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I used it in real time for the first time today... i grilled four pounds of chicken wings on my classic and then used this to scrape the grill... worked perfectly. 

John are u waiting till the grill cools down completely or just a low temp when you use this 

I saw something similar at Costco a while back called the Great Scrape, but I balked at the $30+ price tag. This looks like it has some thoughtful improvements and is a couple of dollars cheaper. Might have to look into this one. Thanks, John!