Smoked chuck roast

So I've been wanting so badly to try a chuck roast on the Joe instead of the crockpot, and the post by wb.tarleton  a few weeks ago just pushed me over the edge.  Seasoned up a chuck this morning with Dizzy Pig "Swamp Venom" rub.DSC00141.2.jpg

Here we are after smoking for several hours. I've just put it in the pan with a beef broth and coffee mixture, ready to put the foil over.DSC00143.2.jpg

And here is the finished product after a total of 7  hours.  The onions got a little mushy, next time we'll wait a few hours before adding them.  Put in a bun with horseradish mustard, smoked mozarella cheese, sauteed peppers.  Wow!  The subtle smoke flavor, the sweet heat of the rub, and the astounding moistness made this a winner.  Thanks wb.tarleton  for the inspiration.DSC00146.2.jpg

2 hours ago, skreef said:

That looks delicious. How hot is the venom rub?Haven't tried it yet. 

It was delicious, I nearly dislocated both shoulders patting myself on the back :)  As far as the Swamp Venom, it is probably our favorite rub yet.  It has a really delicate, pleasing heat, maybe 4 or 5 on a scale of 10, that is really blended well with just a touch of sweet.  We bought it at my brother in law's BGE dealership, and it is one of their very popular sales items.  Here is a link to a really unique appetizer you can make with it.  http://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/swamp-crackers/

16 hours ago, skreef said:

That looks delicious. How hot is the venom rub?Haven't tried it yet. 

I use the Swamp Venom and out of the jar it has a remarkable kick. It is hot but with a sweet finish. Once absorbed through hours of slow cooking it just leaves a subtle note of sweet/hot. My family are all "heat hounds" but I've presented cooked meats to others who are not so much, and nobody's complained!:)

15 hours ago, Shortyque said:

It was delicious, I nearly dislocated both shoulders patting myself on the back :)  As far as the Swamp Venom, it is probably our favorite rub yet.  It has a really delicate, pleasing heat, maybe 4 or 5 on a scale of 10, that is really blended well with just a touch of sweet.  We bought it at my brother in law's BGE dealership, and it is one of their very popular sales items.  Here is a link to a really unique appetizer you can make with it.  http://dizzypigbbq.com/recipe/swamp-crackers/

Thank you shortyque. We will see if we can get. 

On 3/7/2017 at 11:16 PM, Marty said:

I think we paid less than that at the BGE dealer.  Try it sometime, I do think you will like it.