Best way to make fries?

The only time I've been able to grill some really good fries was directly on the grate. But this is not easy if your cooking for more than just yourself. I like to cut my fries about 1/4" so that's a lot of fries to try to get flipped around. I've tried putting them in a pan without good results.

Looking for ideas on how to get close to "good fried french fries" on the grill.

There is no substitution for deep fried fries. I have yet to try frying them in cast iron in oil on my Akorn yet, but I can see that happening in the near future. I hate baked fries and I also hate the cleanup involved when using a deep fryer. Does anyone on here regularly fry using a pan and oil oln their Kamado? Does it make a mess? Seems to me like it would be no different than pan frying them on a stovetop.

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Airfryer with duck fat

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

I've been looking at those air fryers for a while just haven't pull the trigger and don't know where we would keep it. Said something to the wife about one and got the funny face look.

27 minutes ago, LargeRedJoe said:

Hot oil being used over a roaring open flame.

What could go wrong? 

That's my only issue with trying it. I'll still probably give it a try though. I figure once I get the oil to where I want it I can shut down the vents and just hold temp so that there is no roaring open flame.

9 minutes ago, JDEaston said:

That's my only issue with trying it. I'll still probably give it a try though. I figure once I get the oil to where I want it I can shut down the vents and just hold temp so that there is no roaring open flame.

No help to me I'm trying to take the oil out of the cook:)

2 hours ago, Aussie Joe said:

Airfryer with duck fat

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

I gotta admit that I am curious about the airfryers. Do they really taste like fried food, french fries specifically? I just cant see it with the low amount of oil being "misted" but I may be wrong. A few friends and I bought a camper and lease a property at a private lake and I'm trying to find an alternative to using a deep fryer to make french fries to go with burgers, which is what we generally eat for lunch our second day there. I don't know anyone that has an air fryer though and it's just one of those things I don't want to buy until I know more about them.

2 hours ago, JDEaston said:

There is no substitution for deep fried fries. I have yet to try frying them in cast iron in oil on my Akorn yet, but I can see that happening in the near future. I hate baked fries and I also hate the cleanup involved when using a deep fryer. Does anyone on here regularly fry using a pan and oil oln their Kamado? Does it make a mess? Seems to me like it would be no different than pan frying them on a stovetop.

BAD. IDEA.

1 minute ago, Timtogrill said:

No help to me I'm trying to take the oil out of the cook:)

Just bake them then lol. It can be done in a Kamado pretty easy, just season them however you like and use your Kamado like an oven. I would just toss them on a baking sheet and season them however you want. 

Just now, John Setzler said:

BAD. IDEA.

That's what my brain told me and is why I haven't tried it yet. My heart says different though which is why I was curious if anyone else has tried it or not. My brain is still telling me that if I don't use a lot of oil and shut the vents down it could work though lol.