Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bigcaddy

Another Diem Kamado!

6 posts in this topic

It's been a while since I've posted on here but work has kept me away from home at a regular frequency. While at work last week, a friend called and asked if I was interested in some random glazed Kamado. Since he's not familiar enough to know the brand, he had me send some pics that he could match up to what he found. 

After he he made the purchase, he sent me this picture as it was strapped in his car. I now own a Red and Green Diem Kamado. All I need now is the Yellow version and I have all three!  

this guy is pretty nice, not to mention complete, but will need a serious cleaning. I've come along quite a bit but have no current pictures. So far I've cleaned out the old soggy charcoal, removed the rusted lid frames for paint and cut/buffed the outside glaze. 

For those that have a glazed kamado with rust stains, try a variable speed buffer with a 1200 grit liquid polish. It erases the stains and makes it smooth as it was the day it was fired. 

Ill ill try to take some pictures tomorrow of the polished body and new draft door I'm building. 

IMG_2406.JPG

Here is the Kamado as it sits now. All metal parts have been pulled for paint except the new knob on the damper Cap.   The 1200 grit polish really brings the shine back like I mentioned earlier. Up next will be the 4 wheel caster cart

Ill buy buy a new ash basket from Kick Ash and fabricate the damper door hopefully by tomorrow. I've got two of these that havent been used yet and I want to try them. 

IMG_2412.JPG

IMG_2413.JPG

TKOBBQ, Lumpy_Coal and marauders like this

Looks good. Is there a second cap used for regulating air flow?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

From what i remember in the old advertisements, you just offset the cap for temp changes.  I don't think these were as versitile as Primos or BGE's.  I bet i could slap on a medium or small daisy wheel for some control but ill see how the basic cap works.

Were these only meant for lower temp cooking or can they handle the higher heat grilling too?

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'm going to find out this weekend if I can get my butt in gear. I've been slowed down by a back injury so hopefully I'll get on it tomorrow and finish by Friday. 

My charcoal basket and grill grate arrived today so all that's left is custom fabwork.