Raised Kick Ash Basket

afingerhut

I have been thinking about how to get my grates closer to the coals for searing. I've seen raised charcoal grates for a number of cookers and stumbled across this idea while I was cleaning out my Big Joe today.

c578ce54b0eb566c0719fbc2a8425cef.jpg

I haven't tried it yet but was wondering if anyone else had. My thought is that it might help reduce the amount of lump needed for high temp cooks. What do y'all think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If concerned about amt of lump needed for high sear have you considered getting a jr? You could get an Akorn jr for 160 at Walmart or get a KJ jr for under 500.

ADDED:

Then theres the Searzall

https://www.amazon.com/Searzall-Torch-Attachment-Small-Stainless/dp/B00L2P0KNO%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJ2F6RDUSIYCWQMFQ%26tag%3Dsa-sym-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00L2P0KNO

I don't own a BJ, so I am not sure if a full firebox makes a bigger gap between the coals and grates than the KJC. I have never needed to reduce the gap on the KJC and get great sears provided the fire is really going before searing.

If concerned about amt of lump needed for high sear have you considered getting a jr? You could get an Akorn jr for 160 at Walmart or get a KJ jr for under 500.

ADDED:
Then theres the Searzall
https://www.amazon.com/Searzall-Torch-Attachment-Small-Stainless/dp/B00L2P0KNO%3FSubscriptionId%3DAKIAJ2F6RDUSIYCWQMFQ%26tag%3Dsa-sym-20%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB00L2P0KNO

I own a KJ Jr. as well. I'm just thinking of times that I'm cooking larger quantities than I can do on the Jr.

I can certainly build a bigger pile of lump, but by the time it all gets going, you do your cooking and shut it down you've burned through a lot of fuel.

Thought this might allow the same grate temps with less lump and better proximity to the coals for radiant heat.

I've also got the soapstone, but I haven't used it yet since it arrived in two pieces. Anyway, half the fun for me is trying out different things to improve my results.

Wouldn't it be easier to lower the cooking grate?  I use a CGS spider (in a non KJ) to hold a cheap Weber grate down near the coals. Should be able to do the same where the deflector stones go on the divide and conquer. 

Wouldn't it be easier to lower the cooking grate?  I use a CGS spider (in a non KJ) to hold a cheap Weber grate down near the coals. Should be able to do the same where the deflector stones go on the divide and conquer. 

I was considering that, but I'd have to find a grate that fits where the deflectors sit. This works with pieces I already own and gives me the option to raise or lower the grates using the D&C.

5 hours ago, afingerhut said:

I was considering that, but I'd have to find a grate that fits where the deflectors sit. This works with pieces I already own and gives me the option to raise or lower the grates using the D&C.

I like re-posting this pic from time to time...

The Akorn CI grate fits perfectly in the lowest position on the Big Joe D&C rack.

You can't get much closer to the fire, and it's CI so you get awesome grill marks (if you're into that kind of thing).

BigJoeAkorn.jpg

11 hours ago, mbellot said:

I like re-posting this pic from time to time...

The Akorn CI grate fits perfectly in the lowest position on the Big Joe D&C rack.

You can't get much closer to the fire, and it's CI so you get awesome grill marks (if you're into that kind of thing).

BigJoeAkorn.jpg

I somehow missed this post.  This looks like an awesome way to sear. I will try this.  It might even be worth buying one from CharGriller.

I have fired up the BJ and threw a gate directly on the coals. This worked well except that sticking ones arm all the way to the bottom of a blazing hot Kamado  feeling heat through the glove and getting heat directly in ones face is not fun at all. Also  working directly on the coals you can go from needing just a bit more to blackened in 30 seconds or less.

I decided to give this a go with a small flank steak to cut up for some lunches this week. I have to say, it is the best flank steak I've made by no small margin.

I started out with about 1/3rd of a load of KJ lump left over from Friday's pizza cook. I lit it in a few places and left the dome open while the fire spread. By the time the coals were all going the dome temp read about 400, but I could see and feel the intense heat just above the coals.

e6da6fc4cdbe33c85cfdd97b78afa6a5.jpg

Just before adding the steak I put the grates in the low position where they fit perfectly with the KAB handles fitting in between the bars. I used the 'cold grate' method because I don't care for grill marks. While they certainly look pretty, they almost always taste burnt by the time the rest of the surface has browned.

d3990c7905b26e1444adf324bb6bfabd.jpg

The steak was seasoned only with salt and I did not apply any oil. The result was a beautiful deep brown sear across the whole surface with minimal charring at the very edges. It was a pretty small steak so the thin end got a bit more well done than I prefer, but it was still tender and delicious.

c5631748b5eb54ff19b785329e055081.jpg

In the end, I got a terrific result using far less fuel than I would having brought the joe up to searing temps the traditional way. For those that have a KAB already you can give this a go without having to buy additional spiders or grates or reaching your arm and face into a blazing hot kamado. All I can say is that this will be my go to method for short high heat direct cooks from now on.

22 hours ago, cschaaf said:

I wonder if that would be exposing the outer shell to too much heat? 

I agree with Cschaff and would use caution moving the fire up higher than it was designed for. There may be additional stresses on the ceramics in areas not intended to see that kind of heat.  Or it could be just fine, too....  I am just one of those overly cautious types on most things.