Raised Kick Ash Basket

afingerhut

I would think temperature variation is far more likely to cause cracks than absolute temperatures.  The ceramic firebowl is there to absorb/reflect/even out the most intense heat from the fire and protect the outer shell. Firebowl cracking seems to be fairly common across brands. My concern with getting the fire too high by raised basket or over filling would be heating the rims of the top and bottom shell hotter and faster than the top of the dome or the bottom leading to uneven expansion 

Sound logical.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, Lumpy_Coal said:

Sound logical.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Obviously this is my unqualified opinion as I am not an engineer or physicist. My observation is that the firebox is exposed to the charcoal via direct contact or very close proximity. Burning lump can achieve temps of 1400F depending on type and quantity. Direct contact with several pounds of 1000+ degree lump places a lot more stress on the ceramic components of the fire box than the outer shell is exposed to in my configuration.

As far as fireboxes cracking do to the temperature variation of high heat cooks... Ambient to 1000+ back to ambient is a much greater swing than the ambient to ~500 to ambient that the dome is seeing during my cooks. In fact, if this did pose a threat, I imagine we'd be seeing a lot of cracked domes and bases as people regularly exceed these temps by a good margin.

The way I have it set up, I am only burning a couple pounds of fuel and it is held several inches from the surrounding ceramic components. If I were creating 'extreme' conditions beyond what the components of the grill can handle, I would expect the thermometer to be pegged and flames shooting wildly every time I open the lid. In the 3 cooks I've done so far...no such drama. In fact, it all seems relatively tame and civilized under the hood

5f625c42246b3f45c8d39d153bc67a61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 years later...
On 3/15/2017 at 12:11 PM, afingerhut said:

I'm having fun experimenting with it. So far it seems well suited for high heat cooking without blowing through bags of lump

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know a very old post - but this is exactly what I thought of doing when playing around with my new Big Joe.

Could I follow up to see (it's been 4 years since this post!) if you've been able to carry on doing this with no issues or damage?

Seems to me like a really good way of getting quick hot grilling when you're not looking to heat up the Kamado (instead of using another grill or Joe Jnr.)

Cheers