Is a Kamado style cooker a good option?

We currently have a large Kamado Joe that we love and my husband cooks on at least 3 times a week.

We are in the process of getting a small cabin we have in the mountains ready to list as a weekly or weekend rental. This unit is really geared for a couple or maybe a few friends heading to the area to fish or hike, the max it sleeps is 4. We've been advised that renters do want an option to grill out so we will be purchasing a small grill of some sort. I like the idea of one of the mini Kamado type units. From what I can tell the cooking grate on these is from 10-12" so pretty small for sure. Also, if someone has never cooked on this type of cooker is it just too much of a learning curve for a short trip? We have been told to avoid a gas grill so some sort of charcoal unit is our other option.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally, i wouldnt be putting a kamado there. I have rented vacation homes/cabins and there usually is a gas grill. If i didnt do that a weber would be just fine. Now, if i was renting it off you then yes i would like a kamado there. Lol. Everybody that sees mine doesnt know what it is let alone how to use it. I think it is probably just unnecessary for this application but there is no wrong answer as long as there is a grill of some sort there! 

Thanks all! I will find a nice, sturdy charcoal type grill. At least if it gets damaged or abused I won't get too upset.

For a rental, consider a park grill, this allows you to fix the location so your renter doesn't get it to close to the house. Never underestimate the stupidity of your guests.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200624054_200624054?cm_mmc=Google-pla&utm_source=Google_PLA&utm_medium=Food%20Processing%20%3E%20Grills%20%2B%20Accessories&utm_campaign=Pilot%20Rock&utm_content=42958&gclid=COGwwoaj0tICFRNMDQodX04FpQ

I would be concerned with all of the potentially harmful things an inexperienced kamado user might do. Flashback, inappropriate charcoal or fire starters, letting the cooker get to out of control temperatures... all very easily could occur putting your guests and property at risk. I think a kettle of some sort is probably a safer option

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think a fixed charcoal grill is probably the best option. If getting a gas then I would want to be sure it was connected to natural gas so the renter didn't have to worry about bringing a gas cylinder or you worry about the renter leaving with your portable gas cylinder or the renter not turning the cylinder off.

I agree that a Kamado would be too steep of a learning curve. Unless you wanted to provide video instructions for your guests. Which i think would be pretty impressive. :)

If you want to go with something that will hold up over time while out in the elements, consider a PK grill. They are good size and last forever.

I would second a gas grill. Stupid drunk people are dangerous. That might be 1% of your clients or their friends, but it could be a expensive 1%. No one will treat the rental as well as you do.