• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
ckreef

Homemade Ghee

Ghee - clarified brown butter. 

Clarified butter is a process where you take butter, boil out the water content,  then separate and remove the milk solids. 

Ghee takes this process one step further. You boil out the water then brown the milk solids before removing them. What's left is a butter oil with a slightly nutty flavor. 

It is great for a lot of uses. Ghee has a smoke point around 480* (compared to butter at around 300*) so it works really good as a butter flavored oil for pan searing. Homemade Ghee is easy and fast to make and cost about 1/2 of what store bought costs. It will also last a couple of months refrigerated. 

HGf.jpg

----------------------

Triple or quad folded cheese cloth. 

A storage jar. I like jars with no neck so you can easily scoop it out after it solidifies in the refrigerator. 

Unsalted butter. I used 12 oz because that's what comfortably fits in my jar. 

HGa.jpg

Cut the butter into slices. Heat on md high heat adding 3 or 4 pieces at a time as it melts. 

HGb.jpg

Bring to a full boil so it has  a nice head of foam. 

HGc.jpg

At this point you've boiled out the water and the milk solids have separated. Reduce heat to md low and continue boiling unto the milk solids have browned. This takes about 10 minutes and try not to burn the milk solids. 

HGd.jpg

Remove from heat, allow to cool for an hour or two  then strain through 3-4 layers of cheesecloth. Refrigerate. 

HGe.jpg

I use this when I sear something on my KK with a CI griddle. In the refrigerator it will solidify but that's OK just scoop a spoonful or two when ready to use. 

HGf.jpg

8 hours ago, dman said:

Great idea! Sound like it adds a nice flavor too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, Lumpy_Coal said:

Never heard of it...great tutorial.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

The milk solids is what burns which is why you can't really fry with butter. By removing the milk solids you remove that problem. In India they make and use a lot of Ghee. They even deep fry foods in it. 

You can also add herbs and spices while adding the butter to impart even more flavor. Haven't tried doing that yet but will at some point. A nice garlic Ghee sounds good to me. 

5 minutes ago, Mewantkj said:

Can you use the discard solids for a brown butter chocolate chip cookie, or are they too burnt?  

Thanks for the great write up.  

If you're careful not to burn them you could. I cooked this batch maybe 1 minute to long otherwise I was going to save the browned milk solids. Some of it got a little too  browned not quite on the burnt side but close. They keep browning from residual pan heat. Next time when it's done I'll immediately transfer to a cold pan or dish to stop the residual browning. 

In India the browned milk solids is considered a delicacy. 

4 minutes ago, Mewantkj said:

Could you do this on the grill, or start it there to get a hint of smoke flavor for indoor cooking?  Along the same lines as smoking salt?  

Just brainstorming. 

Not sure you would gain anything and you sort of need precise temperature control. This entire process only takes 15 minutes at the most (not counting cool down time) so even if you could manage the temperature just not enough time to really make a difference. 

45 minutes ago, BhamBruni said:

this may be a silly question...how do you know when it has gone bad ? When stored in the refrigerator does it remain liquid or does it congeal ?

It congeals. I guess if it ever started molding like butter eventually would then it is going bad. At the quantity I made I doubt that would ever be a problem. I go through that much about once a month.