taters283

Tip top temp mod for akorn jr.

New to the forum! Hello!

I fitted a tiptoptemp to an akorn jr. without rtv. Used two 1/4 x 20 x 3" bolts, some garlock gasket material for the bolts, and a teflon gasket for the ttt to sit on. Guys this was too easy. Real clean installation.

Thanks for all the valuable input on here!

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Hey buddy! Im taters! Im a hell of a cook, and new to smoking. Picked my rig up, and bought the TTT for it based of everyone's recommendations here. I couldnt be more excited!

Hey buddy! Im taters! Im a hell of a cook, and new to smoking. Picked my rig up, and bought the TTT for it based of everyone's recommendations here. I couldnt be more excited!

b24c9d63b699eb12f62aecb05ef382c8.jpg4b1f70b5fb3f8383ca4f0fa9e7ad5e61.jpg

The bolts didnt line up perfectly with the damper bolts, so I humored them a bit. Will bend some ss bolts when I get to work monday.

Have you tried a high temp cook with the TTT mounted that way? And also does it shut down well? The top on mine does not completely close all the way which would let the fire smolder for hours instead of shutting down fast with the vents closed which I can do with my TTT mounted with a plate hanger and I can remove it in a few seconds for a high temp burn.

Welcome to the Guru and great mod for the TTT, have one for my Weber kettle and thought about using with my Jr but couldn't figure out a mod now you have given me one thanks!

Garvin

Right, cuz it didnt fit the hole! Luckily, I work at a place that has tons of high temp gasket material scrap laying around!

Have you tried a high temp cook with the TTT mounted that way? And also does it shut down well? The top on mine does not completely close all the way which would let the fire smolder for hours instead of shutting down fast with the vents closed which I can do with my TTT mounted with a plate hanger and I can remove it in a few seconds for a high temp burn.

I am still testing. I dont like the way briquets work with it, getting some more lump for tomorrow. As far as shut down, it seems like I can close the bottom vent and kinda force the TTT to closed to get a good shut down. But I am still tinkering with that too.

Plate hanger wouldnt work on my junior, the TTT wouldnt fit over my top damper. Atleast I didnt see how. So I just removed the whole assembly, used the bolt holes to line up with two I drilled into top of TTT, and snugged them down onto a teflon gasket.

Okay. Did a test burn last night with lump, and ring of fire method. Just, WOW! Bottom vent at .5, TTT set to 3.2, and it held 250° for six hours. Shut down pretty well. Only used up half of the lump. This is too easy!

Got up late today, but fired her up for a chuck roast for Tourney food later! Already smells like heaven.

1 hour ago, taters283 said:

Short answer, Yes! The TTT has helped. Im still learning, but it seems to help me keep from going past my target temps.

do you have experience with Kamados?  You said you were still learning