• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
ckreef

Japanese Knives with Custom Handles

As some of you are aware, Ben (Mewantkj) started making custom knife handles. In his original thread I joked about him making handles for my old crappy knives. Well one thing led to another,  the idea expanded and the Bistro now has 2 new Japanese knives with custom handles. 

NK1.jpg

This first knife was part of the handle deal. I actually bought 2 of these and gave Ben one for his personal collection. 

Tojiro Shirogami Yanagi 270 mm (10.5")

White #2 core, softer iron outer layer. Right handed single bevel. 

Custom handle:

Ferrule/end cap - Wenge

Stripes - Mapple

Body - Red Palm 

NK3.jpg

This second knife was a surprise knife for Mrs skreef. I wanted to get her something special for being such a good sport about this whole knife adventure. She knew she was getting a knife and picked out the wood for her custom handle, she just didn't know exactly what knife it was. 

Shiro Kamo R-2 (same as SG2) Gyuto 180 mm (7").

R-2 core. Damascus layered stainless in a matte finish. 

Custom handle:

Ferrule/end cap - Wenge

Stripes - Mapple 

Body - Cocobola 

NK2.jpg

Fantastic additions to the knife board. Ben did an awesome job with the custom handles, it really makes the knives pop. He has lots of different woods to choose from. I actually have two more handles that I will post once I have them mounted to a knife. One of them is going on a old crappy knife to give it new life. 

Wow, what an amazing job!

I've had a couple of Japanese knives now for the last few months and absolutely love the cutting performance of them, I'll have to have a chat with Ben when the handles need replacing!

2 minutes ago, Alimac23 said:

Wow, what an amazing job!

I've had a couple of Japanese knives now for the last few months and absolutely love the cutting performance of them, I'll have to have a chat with Ben when the handles need replacing!

I talk "handles" a lot with Ben. I know he has some really kewl ideas in the pipeline. I'm excited to see what else he comes up with. 

1 minute ago, slap1914 said:

All I can say is WOW! Truly outstanding

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

That was my thoughts exactly when I opened the box yesterday. 

Great looking knives and awesome handles. I have not taken the plunge on a Japanese knife yet as I have more knives than I need, but as my sons move out and I send them off with a few of my knives, I will have some room in my knife blocks.

36 minutes ago, Marty said:

Both of those knives look amazing. With those handles they would be the first thing one would see hanging on the wood magnet strip--all lit up.

They do look pretty awesome on the knife bar. 

Already thinking about ordering a custom blade from a US Artisan Blacksmith. Going to email him and see if he's willing to make what I want and how many months of back orders he has. Also how many arms and legs it will cost me - LOL. Of course I'll get Ben to make a handle for it. 

25 minutes ago, ckreef said:

They do look pretty awesome on the knife bar. 

Already thinking about ordering a custom blade from a US Artisan Blacksmith. Going to email him and see if he's willing to make what I want and how many months of back orders he has. Also how many arms and legs it will cost me - LOL. Of course I'll get Ben to make a handle for it. 

Which blacksmith? HHH? 

1 hour ago, Marty said:

Both of those knives look amazing. With those handles they would be the first thing one would see hanging on the wood magnet strip--all lit up.

I have a photo of CK's custom work, my personal handless and one for BBQboss all hanging on my knife bar from before I shipped everyone's out. Bbqboss asked me to hold off sending him update photos so he can be surprised when he opens the box on Monday.  I will post photos once he give me the OK.