Panchango

Pastrami A Work In Progress

13 posts in this topic

I stopped in the grocery yesterday after work and Corned Beef was on sale for $1.79 a pound. I have wanted to try making pastrami and the price was right.    The one on the left I soaked over night changing the water a few times and the one on the right, I just thoroughly rinsed. I know it isn't real pastrami as I did not brine it myself, but for the price and convenience I am happy to give it a go.  My spice rub was cracked black pepper, coriander, garlic, a little turbinado sugar, and a bit of ghost powder from my garden.  If it weren't for the hot chili in the rub, I would have put it on much thicker.  I have been cooking between 225F and 250F with a mix of apple and pecan wood.

Thanks for looking.  I will add more shots as I get there.

Just starting out..

pastrami1.jpg

About 90 minutes in..

pastrami2.jpg

Just about 150F, soon it will be time to wrap.

pastrami3.jpg

ske1eter, DerHusker, TKOBBQ and 2 others like this

3 minutes ago, shuley said:

Doing something similar today :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice.

Sorry for the white out pics, we had over a foot of snow this week and I just dug out...

They both just passed 160.  The smaller one was a few degrees beyond but not bad.  Wrapped in foil and back on the kamado.  Now a few more hours until probe tender and into the cooler...

pastrami4.jpg

TKOBBQ and KismetKamado like this

I will trim the fat cap slightly closer next time, but I am very pleased with my first attempt and will try it again next time I see it on sale. Steamed the meat in the top of my rice cooker for about a minute, before hitting some fresh rye bread with some nice swiss and Plochman's mustard. It cooked for about 7.5 hours and then spent a couple hours wrapped in a cooler before being refrigerated over night. The cooker crept up to just under 300F for the last hour of the cook. The other one that I did not soak retained much more bright pink color but was really salty.  I will definitely soak next time as well.

Sliced...

pastrami5.jpg

The finished product.  Thanks for looking.

pastrami6.jpg

BiddyK, Stretch, Jesse and 6 others like this

3 hours ago, King19 said:

How was the salt?  

I preferred the soaked one, but I gave samples to a few friends and they all liked the one that wasn't soaked.  The feedback I got was the rub was really peppery and the salt helped balance it out.  They all said I should definitely do it again.

Hmmm. I am curious about this. I soaked mine this weekend and a guy from work is asking me to smoke him one- not sure whether I should go through the trouble (well, mess really) of soaking his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk