• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
Panchango

Pastrami A Work In Progress

13 posts in this topic

I stopped in the grocery yesterday after work and Corned Beef was on sale for $1.79 a pound. I have wanted to try making pastrami and the price was right.    The one on the left I soaked over night changing the water a few times and the one on the right, I just thoroughly rinsed. I know it isn't real pastrami as I did not brine it myself, but for the price and convenience I am happy to give it a go.  My spice rub was cracked black pepper, coriander, garlic, a little turbinado sugar, and a bit of ghost powder from my garden.  If it weren't for the hot chili in the rub, I would have put it on much thicker.  I have been cooking between 225F and 250F with a mix of apple and pecan wood.

Thanks for looking.  I will add more shots as I get there.

Just starting out..

pastrami1.jpg

About 90 minutes in..

pastrami2.jpg

Just about 150F, soon it will be time to wrap.

pastrami3.jpg

3 minutes ago, shuley said:

Doing something similar today :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice.

Sorry for the white out pics, we had over a foot of snow this week and I just dug out...

They both just passed 160.  The smaller one was a few degrees beyond but not bad.  Wrapped in foil and back on the kamado.  Now a few more hours until probe tender and into the cooler...

pastrami4.jpg

KismetKamado and TKOBBQ like this

I will trim the fat cap slightly closer next time, but I am very pleased with my first attempt and will try it again next time I see it on sale. Steamed the meat in the top of my rice cooker for about a minute, before hitting some fresh rye bread with some nice swiss and Plochman's mustard. It cooked for about 7.5 hours and then spent a couple hours wrapped in a cooler before being refrigerated over night. The cooker crept up to just under 300F for the last hour of the cook. The other one that I did not soak retained much more bright pink color but was really salty.  I will definitely soak next time as well.

Sliced...

pastrami5.jpg

The finished product.  Thanks for looking.

pastrami6.jpg

Thanks all.  I definitely learned a few things and will be doing it again when I find them on sale...

3 hours ago, King19 said:

How was the salt?  

I preferred the soaked one, but I gave samples to a few friends and they all liked the one that wasn't soaked.  The feedback I got was the rub was really peppery and the salt helped balance it out.  They all said I should definitely do it again.

Hmmm. I am curious about this. I soaked mine this weekend and a guy from work is asking me to smoke him one- not sure whether I should go through the trouble (well, mess really) of soaking his.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk