• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
Herbert

Spatchcock the easy way

As I'm still new to the kamados I' m still looking for dif. ways to cook.

So far I made my chickens indirect as to not burn them, but with the Joe coming with an extra rack the chicken sits so far away from the coal that there is no worry about that.

Seasoned a 4 pound chicken just with salt, pepper,paprika and set the grill to 375f. 

No turning around, just put it skin side up and watched that it stayed between 350 and 400.

As we played a game with the kids I  forgot the time and even let it ride up to 185f. 

Rest for about 15 min. and it was just delicious. Moist inside, crispy outside with a nice litte hint of smoke.

Learned something again with the Joe,

Simple works out great.

Same goes for the wood, why buy woodchunks when you have lots of sitting in the garden.

IMG-20170319-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20170319-WA0002.jpg

Thanks,

From the taste we liked it direct better than the last two indirect, but both ways work great on the kamado.

Next time I'll try a chinese style smoked chicken, have to change it a little that it fits more kamado style cooking, but I thing it will work out.

SmoovD,

It,s a highbeet (if that makes any sense in english), it's easy on the back and you can start planting 3-4 weeks earlier, this year my wife is very optimistic that it want snow anymore.

I live in the southwest corner, 20km to France, 200m to Swiss. Thats not too bad, good cheese and choclade around every corner.

As far as German recepis go, i don't know, the tradional German BBQ is more direct grillling like steaks, and sausages.

But don't worry, a few new thinks will come for sure, ( like the German ham I posted, even there I' m not too sure if that is new as of course you can get ham anywhere around the world these days. 

I'm cooking a spatchcocked bird as we speak. Or write.

It's an ATK recipe in a cast iron braiser, currently sitting at 450. Roasted Brussels sprouts and onions as a side.

5dcc4e78abcf68731d137e5e653deea4.jpg

ETA: we won't be sharing a photo after the flip. We had.....issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FIrewood you can get mostly beech and pinewood, around here. I like for both beech better, it brings more heat for the house and for smoking it,s not so intense.

As for the garden, this is how it looks from the front, as we don.t have as much space  as you  have over there ,you have to use it carefully.IMG-20170321-WA0002.jpg

I like how you did the strawberry plants!  Slick and nice use of space.  Does your soil go all the way down or is it only a block deep?

The soil goes all the way down, or better the first layer were logs than branches, than compost and above all the soil.

this way you have nutrition for the plants. each year you just shovel the top soil to one side and chuck in some compost and on goes the soil again.

Through the composting you gain some heat ( longer saison ), and get your nutrition.