• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
brandon78

Nomex on Wood Table

16 posts in this topic

My table is done. I cut the hole to the specifications put out by Primo. I have not yet put the grill in, as I am waiting for my cover to arrive before I move the table into the backyard. I am curious, for anyone who has used Primo's template, how much space is there between the table and grill? 

Thanks for all the feedback. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By Shipmonster
      While not completely done, it's getting close. The only material we bought was Douglas Fir 4x4's for the frame and some outdoor hardware. Almost everything else was 1/2",3/4", and 1" pallet wood. It was some good stuff too like oak, cherry, heart pine. I kept the rack from my old smoker and used it to hold the soap stone, grill grates, divider, and accessories rack from the KJ. I didn't mount the KJ inside the table because I wanted to roll it out from under the awning when we're blasting the coals for pizza and searing. I have perforated steel boxes that I setup for hot items. 

I'ts been beaten and torched, planed, and sanded.... I still need to stain and seal the wood then we should be in business.

• By Kabe
      After months of debating and waiting, I finally pulled the trigger on the Primo and after some more waiting was able to finally cook on it!  I have cooked on an Akorn for the last 15 months or so and really liked it but wanted to move up to a Ceramic.  Some initial thoughts and observations:
      1) This thing is big (and heavy)! - I built a temporary mini cart for it and prob should have used heavier duty casters but it is temporary.
      2) Since it's bigger, it takes more lump.  Not sure exactly how much more though.  And I do have the firebox divider which I have used a couple of times
      3) I really like the oval shape.  This is what ultimately sold me.  I think I would have just stayed with the Akorn otherwise.
      4) It was a completely unnecessary purchase as the Akorn does really well.  But I wanted it and I like it.
      5) First cook was chicken leg quarters - pics below (and I know I don't have a money shot - total amateur move - promise to do better next time, which is very soon).  They came out just as juicy.  On the Akorn they usually came out with the tops a little more brown than the rest.  Didn't experience that on the Primo.  I prefer the Primo,
      6) The thermometer is pretty darn accurate - I have a TheomaQ and they were pretty close most of the cook.

So in summary - if you were like me and wanted to move up from an Akorn to a Primo, Egg, KJ etc..  I would say you won't be disappointed as they're pretty much all they're cracked up to be (guess that's not the best choice of words when referring to ceramics  ).  But don't be in a rush.  The Akorn is really, really good.  As a matter of fact, I'm thinking about getting an Akorn Jr for small cooks and travel.

• By Donkey Toes
      Looking for some expert advice on how to avoid too much smoke flavor and bitter taste.  Cooking on a Vision Series B.  I'm using hickory chunks.  What's the right amount of wood chunks to use?  I hear a little goes a long way.  I have made the mistake before of putting the wood in with the charcoal before lighting.  When should I put the wood on the coals, and after putting the wood on the coals, when should the meat be put on the grate too smoke?  Ideally, I'd like to smoke meat in the 225 to 250 degrees range.  About how long should it take for the coals to be ready to introduce the wood, and then after introducing the wood, how long should it take before food can be introduced?

Thanks
    • By zero
      Hi guys, I know kamado comparisons have been beaten to death in this forum, but I guess I'll give it one more stab.   Not sure if this was the correct forum for it, but didn't find any others that looked more relevant.

Actually (hoping for this to be unique), I wanted to ask if any of you have owned (or still own) BOTH a Kamado Joe Big Joe and a Primo Oval XL.  From what I hear, they're both amazing cookers at a similar price point (included accessories with KJ taken into account), so I wanted to see who of you has experience cooking with each, and what you like about each of them and what needs improvement (in your opinion) for each.  I like Kamado Joe's warranty, included accessories, marginally larger cooking surface, and thicker shell; but I like that the Primos are made in the US, and its oval shape that provides better two-zone cooking.  Thinking of upgrading to full-ceramic from my Akorn (which I still really enjoy) with my tax return money. 

I'm not trying to start any fights between the kamado tribes.  I've read lots about each of these on the other threads, but would enjoy recommendations and insight from people who own or have been able to cook on each of these great grills.  Thanks!
    • By luca591
      Hi everyone. New Vision C owner. Getting ready to build a table. Does anyone know of plans for the Vision C ? I'm not what diameter to cut my hole. Depends on how high up the table intersects with the grill.  Also not sure how to account for the bump out in the front lower portion of the grill where the ash tray pulls out. 

Any recommendations would be appreciated.