First bone-in pork shoulder on the Jr.

Tackled my first ever bone-in pork shoulder on my Akorn Jr. today, and it really turned out well.

I learned from other posts about not needing "billowing smoke," instead a "light blue smoke" during the cook, and I was able to achieve that for most of the time. 

This is a 5lb piece, marinated overnight in a mix of homemade apple cider and homemade rub. This morning, I took it out of the marinade and slathered with mustard and more rub and let it sit for about an hour. I brought my Jr. up to ~225 with lump and applewood chunks and filled the heat deflector/drip tray with some of the leftover marinade, and smoked for 6 hours, occasionally refilling the drip tray with more marinade and pouring a little over the top of the shoulder. Cooked until internal reached 190*, removed and let rest on the counter for 30 minutes. I brushed a bun with butter and put it on the hot grill for a minute, and assembled the sandwich with homemade apple jalapeno BBQ sauce and homemade cole slaw.

Needless to say, it was absolutely amazing!

I'm thinking beef ribs next weekend...

pork.jpg

9 hours ago, 01lowbird said:

Did it hold 225 the whole time or did you have to watch it ? if so, how much?

It stayed pretty close to 225* going off of the dome thermometer, so taking into account any inaccuracies that come with that (I've just ordered a digital ambient thermometer for more accuracy). I went out and checked the dome temp every 20 minutes or so and made minuscule adjustments to the top vent only to regulate. I would say that it never went higher than 240, and never lower than 210. I cooked it to 180* internal and it turned out amazing.