Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Lowcountrygamecock

Smoke on Low and Slow cooks question

6 posts in this topic

I cooked ribs low and slow on my kamado joe classic for the first time Saturday and they turned out really good.  My fire got a little hot but I was able to stabilize it around 250 for most of the cook.  I'm curious how you guys handle adding wood chunks though.  I used three small chunks of hickory and placed them around the charcoal thinking as the fire grew they would burn one by one.  What ended up happening is all three chunks lit at one time and I had good smoke for 45 minutes but then it was gone.  Is there a way to setup the fire to stagger how the chunks burn for logner periods of smoke?  It would be a royal pain to have to remove the meat, racks and half moon dividers to add more chunks.  And this was on ribs, what happens with a boston butt?  I usually apply smoke with my masterbuilt electric until I get to the point where I'm going to wrap the butts which is anywhere from 5-8 hours into the process.  How do I get longer periods of smoke?

I throw a few fist-sized chunks in with the charcoal and I've never had a problem getting smoke.  I do tend to space them out slightly, but I concentrate on the center.  I've cooked 16 hour briskets and had smoke coming out the entire 16 hours.  

In my experience it gives the most smoke in the first few hours, but you will get some degree of smoke the entire time, just from the lump charcoal.  

I have never worried about throwing more smoke on a kamado regardless of how long I'm cooking.  

Congrats on the ribs.  As for the smoke, you might try scattering your smoke wood around in your fire box in concentric circles so that as the fire burns, it will always ignite wood further out in the lump.

That's what I don't understand. I did spread them out around the firebox. I couldn't see what was going on because it was too hot after the cook Saturday but I checked it when I got home today and all the wood chunks are gone but there was still plenty of unlit lump. Oh well I'll just have to try again!

I wrap 3 chunks with foil and put small holes in bottom and place one on charcoal burning and position the other two further away from fire then place my meat on.