John Setzler

What is YOUR favorite non-Kamado grill?

41 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, keeperovdeflame said:

I looked for the price list and couldn't find it. I found it once and think the price for a medium residential / commercial piccolo oven was somewhere between $5 and & $7,000. I was looking at the gas / wood fired combo's. Not completely out of the ball park but a serious commitment. 

As far a these things go that is not impossible. One sure would look nice on the deck. 

I saw this style sitting in the front vestibule of a restaurant. The owner came out to talk about it. He said his cost $15,000 and was about 6 feet in diameter. He said he had to take it back out and install a custom vent system to use it inside. It was sitting on a steel frame with a steel base that it was sitting on. Sort of portable for a heavy item like that.

I have had pizza fro there since he re-installed it. Much different from any other pizza that I have had.

47 minutes ago, Marty said:

As far a these things go that is not impossible. One sure would look nice on the deck. 

I saw this style sitting in the front vestibule of a restaurant. The owner came out to talk about it. He said his cost $15,000 and was about 6 feet in diameter. He said he had to take it back out and install a custom vent system to use it inside. It was sitting on a steel frame with a steel base that it was sitting on. Sort of portable for a heavy item like that.

I have had pizza fro there since he re-installed it. Much different from any other pizza that I have had.

Yeah, you have to include all of the necessary installation costs in the final cost. In a Resturant I am sure the vent and fan system would be expensive. For my installation it is pretty simple just a cement table and a new outdoor gas line. Probably 3 to $4,000 total. That puts you up to between 10 and $13,000. not such a smallish number. 

As nice as they are I don't have several thousand pounds to spend on a pizza oven - a few hundred on a build your own job (see: http://www.earthovens.co.uk/gallery/4560422258) would be fine though.

I also quite like the look of these charcoal hobs:

http://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/shop/outdoor_cooking/nfs-107ghtr

Marty likes this

I've always considered kamados to be a jack of all trades cooker. It does almost anything very well but may not excel at everything. If one can only have one cooker (I feel sorry for those blokes :) ) a kamado is a good choice.

Looking at it in that light if I couldn't have a kamado but was just looking for something that would let me do a variety of types of cooks I think this is what I would get:

http://hephaestusbbq.com/patio-pro/

Last year for my birthday I decided I wanted to add another cooker to the corral. I narrowed it down to three choices - a Komodo Kamado 19" Table Top, that Hephaestus, and a Karubecue.

I've been around and using kamados since the 1960's so I ultimately decided that adding another kamado didn't really offer me anything new. The Hephaeustus, seems like a neat/interesting cooker but it too takes a jack of all trades approach. The Karubecue, being solely a smoker offered me something different and the ability to use "real wood"rather than charcoal. The ability to play with "real fire" won me over so that is what I got. It's an awesome cooker!

However, that Hephaeustus still tickles my fancy and with it one can cook with charcoal or "real wood", smoke, grill, pizza, etc. so if I couldn't have a kamado but I needed something that can "do it all" I think I would get one of those.

If I couldn't get the Hephaeustus then I would go with a 26" Weber Kettle. Lots of capacity , good smoker, great grill, bargain price.

Marty likes this

7 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Yeah, you have to include all of the necessary installation costs in the final cost. In a Resturant I am sure the vent and fan system would be expensive. For my installation it is pretty simple just a cement table and a new outdoor gas line. Probably 3 to $4,000 total. That puts you up to between 10 and $13,000. not such a smallish number. 

Not smallish I agree. I have to say that I want one but the cost versus--- it likely will not happen. I am certain that with the right cement making one on a form can be done and not that costly-- but  the ones that i have seen on u tube have all cracked. The formed cob or dirt ones look good but they require a shed over them. Not what I want or can do. I have no doubt that some kind of ceramic cement and vermiculite or preliterate will work.

7 hours ago, Paul Beer said:

As nice as they are I don't have several thousand pounds to spend on a pizza oven - a few hundred on a build your own job (see: http://www.earthovens.co.uk/gallery/4560422258) would be fine though.

I also quite like the look of these charcoal hobs:

http://www.netherton-foundry.co.uk/shop/outdoor_cooking/nfs-107ghtr

in my u tube videos I ran across a group of history buffs that attend festivals and made the clay and straw oven on site and bake bread for the Renascence style festivals. Their approach was they are easy and fast to make quickly.  The materials can be wet down and used again on a new site. What you linked to looks similar.

I am certainly looking at options to build my own. for one thing --it would be fun.

Paul Beer likes this

23 hours ago, prowe said:

An Akorn as you said is a good choice. An akorn, however, is a kamado.

You are right, I apologize.   And I was also wrong about HD not carrying the PK out here in the far far west.   Looked on their site and I could order one.  Miracles never cease to amaze me.

Since you said "non-Kamado grill" for me that would be a Santa Maria grill. I love cooking on an open fire (no cover) and the Santa Maria is what I would go for. I have a 36" round fire pit with an adjustable grill top and love to cook on it. I use wood splits for fuel and my family loves the food I cook on it.

The Santa Maria would just be a better version of what I have now.

12 hours ago, Sparctek said:

Since you said "non-Kamado grill" for me that would be a Santa Maria grill. I love cooking on an open fire (no cover) and the Santa Maria is what I would go for. I have a 36" round fire pit with an adjustable grill top and love to cook on it. I use wood splits for fuel and my family loves the food I cook on it.

The Santa Maria would just be a better version of what I have now.

This is basically a Santa Maria grill, as far as the raising and lowering of the food grate over the fire goes... Main exception (which I think is a good one) is the V-shaped channel grates, and the back to front slope for drainage.  This was a relatively inexpensive buy from Home Depot... Lower down in the post, I showed some minor modifications/upgrades that I did.  Primarily beefier chain and added some clay tiles for heat retention and metal protection.  It's definitely not a Grillworks or Kalamazoo level of grill, but for the money, it is plenty good for me.

Marty likes this

I have seen those but have not had a chance to cook on one. As you stated it is very similar. The grill I have now is very good, I've just always wanted a true Santa Maria built into a brick base for some reason.

Here is a pic of what I have now:

It works very well but adjusting the height is not as easy as on a Santa Maria or Argentinian grill...

IMG_0040.JPG

IMG_0044.JPG