Found a nice 21lb brisket @ Restaurant Depot on Saturday- my biggest to date. As I mentioned earlier, I place a high premium on even thickness at the end of the flat and this one meets my requirements nicely.

IMG_2282.JPG

IMG_2283.JPG

It also didn't require much trimming. I'm thinking that I have at least 19.5 pounds to cook.

IMG_2286.JPG

My last brisket cook, I sold shares of the brisket to my family- cooking two briskets- selling five shares, reserving one for myself- leaving me with a $15 cost for the two briskets, 1/6th the cost. This time I am just selling by the pound- $6 per- which still is a great deal for them and having sold 13lbs- I have paid for the brisket, lump, pecan wood and gas... 

IMG_2288.JPG

Anyway, it's sitting in the fridge, dry brining until early tomorrow morning after a nice bath in heavy black pepper, sea salt and a dusting or chipotle chili

Nice. You can't get brisket at a BBQ joint here for under $10/lb. I'm trying to convince my business partner that our next food trailer NEEDS to be a BBQ trailer; the markup on BBQ is ridiculous and it's something I love to cook. It looks like you're having fun, eating well, and saving a few bucks in the process. Good on you! 

4 hours ago, Mr Cue said:

Nice. You can't get brisket at a BBQ joint here for under $10/lb. I'm trying to convince my business partner that our next food trailer NEEDS to be a BBQ trailer; the markup on BBQ is ridiculous and it's something I love to cook. It looks like you're having fun, eating well, and saving a few bucks in the process. Good on you! 

Big Joe is warming up now- I've got to find another name for him- and I am realizing how much I miss the ambient heat from my stick burner days. $10 per? Wow. It is so much more expensive up here. I don't think it can be found for less than $16 per/lb. Most places are upwards to $21/per. Ridiculous right? Anyway, the one thing that I have to consider on my next brisket is not only the fact that Costco briskets are prime grade but, their freshness as well. Having stopped by there again today, their briskets are so much redder / fresher in appearance. And I can't really justify the .17¢ I am saving per/lb.

Now, if they'd just start cutting them a little more even in the flat... lol anway, it's 4:20am and I'm finally cooking...

IMG_2290.JPG

IMG_2291.JPG

5 hours ago, Kamado Al said:

Big Joe is warming up now- I've got to find another name for him- and I am realizing how much I miss the ambient heat from my stick burner days. $10 per? Wow. It is so much more expensive up here. I don't think it can be found for less than $16 per/lb. Most places are upwards to $21/per. Ridiculous right? Anyway, the one thing that I have to consider on my next brisket is not only the fact that Costco briskets are prime grade but, their freshness as well. Having stopped by there again today, their briskets are so much redder / fresher in appearance. And I can't really justify the .17¢ I am saving per/lb.

Now, if they'd just start cutting them a little more even in the flat... lol anway, it's 4:20am and I'm finally cooking...

From what I understand, freshness isn't exactly a good thing. I hear aging the brisket by just letting it sit in a fridge for month or so after packing date helps the meat break down a bit.

With that said, I think Costco's prime for $2.99 is a great, consistent deal.

1 hour ago, Panchango said:

That is a big one.  How much shrinkage will you have with the final product?

I'm five hours in and there doesn't seem to be much thus far. I personally think that the moist environment of the Kamado helps with shrinkage. No proof of course, just an opinion... I can see however how it has drawn away from the end of the grate at the flat end. Then again, the brisket now– especially the point- seems to be considerably thicker.

IMG_2292.JPG

After 7 hours, wrapped in butcher paper...

IMG_2295.JPG

Not certain if this is a byproduct of using the Kick Ash Basket or Royal Oak lump but after 8 1/2 hours my temp starts dropping and I discover I have only a handful (literally) of lump left. I had been running @ 225° all night and after taking a nap around 8, I arose an hour later to find the BJ up to 300°. Even with that, having filled the KAB to the brim, I should not have run out of 'fire'. Lost most of my residual heat adding lump. Going with the KJ this time as I should have.

I'm pretty po'd- needed to get the brisket done by 3 or 3:30. Finally headed back toward 275°

IMG_2297.JPG

Looking awesome! My guess is that it is a by product of Royal Oak lump, I use it also and it just does not last nearly as long as the denser KJ lump.  On a fast cook it is great. On long cooks I use about 75% KJ and 25% RO, that way I can get it lit fast but get the long cook from the denser lump. 

12 minutes ago, appsspec said:

Looking awesome! My guess is that it is a by product of Royal Oak lump, I use it also and it just does not last nearly as long as the denser KJ lump.  On a fast cook it is great. On long cooks I use about 75% KJ and 25% RO, that way I can get it lit fast but get the long cook from the denser lump. 

The RO was all chips and small pieces. But, it was the bag that was open. Big mistake. On to another pet peeve. Perhaps, I am the only Kamado owner that experiences this- I haven't seen anyone else bring it up. Once again a brisket cook has gone from bad to worse due to a grease fire. Using drip pans, sans drip pans nothing seems to help this. While it doesn't happen every cook, it is happening much too often.

IMG_2299.JPG

So, no one else experiences this??? The brisket is now safely in the oven...

I haven't experienced anything like that, even cooking 3 Boston Butts at once on the Big Joe. I do use aluminum foil raised at the edges as a drip pan on the deflector though. 

2 minutes ago, appsspec said:

I haven't experienced anything like that, even cooking 3 Boston Butts at once on the Big Joe. I do use aluminum foil raised at the edges as a drip pan on the deflector though. 

Exactly, I have had the fat drippings in the pan catch fire. I don't understand it... It normally has occured on multiple brisket cooks. This is the first time, I remember on a single brisket.

4 hours ago, michaelt said:

From what I understand, freshness isn't exactly a good thing. I hear aging the brisket by just letting it sit in a fridge for month or so after packing date helps the meat break down a bit.

With that said, I think Costco's prime for $2.99 is a great, consistent deal.

I do like to dry brine for a couple of days at least before cooking. But, the redness of the Costco briskets is just... sexy lol

anyway, back in the BJ after burning off all the grease... brisket flat is @ ~185°

9 hours ago, Panchango said:

That is a big one.  How much shrinkage will you have with the final product?

Okay, I can answer this now, considering what I've nibbled on and that which I sold, I had about 13 pounds of brisket. So, 35% to 40% shrinkage.

After 10:30 hrs, the brisket probed tender @ 195°.

IMG_2301.JPG

It's pretty darn good. The point was particularly magnificent. I just sold too much of it. And, it went too fast for any better pics.

lol

IMG_2302.JPG