• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 9/7/2017   05/02/2017

The rules here are simple.  You must behave like an adult.  You may not use profanity.  If 'behaving like and adult' needs specific details in your eyes, then this forum is not for you.  Failure to behave like an adult may result in your loss of access to the site.     YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).   Thanks!
hokihigh

1st cook w/new Saffire

On 3/24/2017 at 2:08 PM, hokihigh said:

Hey Folks,

I finally upgraded from my Acorn to a Saffire 19" Silver edition, the first cook was Spatchcock chicken coated in olive oil and magic dust dry rub, turned out great. 

IMG_20170323_175856108.jpg

IMG_20170323_175903889.jpg

IMG_20170323_191114660.jpg

Great looking bird and grill! Oh and Go Tomcats! Small world hah..

@hokihigh, I see you're using a Thermopro as well.  Is it working out for you?  I saw it had pretty good reviews on Amazon, and cheaped out and got one instead of a Maverick (which was $20 more for the same functions), which seems like the favored brand on this forum.  It works ok for me, but before the temperatures have stabilized much there's a LOT of swing in the readings.  Furthermore, it woke me up at 3:30 a.m. when I did my first overnight smoke, only to find the temperature was still within my desired range.

Thoughts?

Zero. There is both a low and high for the pit and the food probe. Sometimes it goes off because one or the other is out of range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 3/24/2017 at 5:06 PM, Garvinque said:

Congrats on new Kamado and good looking birds! Can you tell us what came with your Saffire?

Garvin

Hey Garvin,

My Saffire came with the cart and lower grill grate, the upper grate I ordered after receiving my cooker.  I also bought a pizza stone, heater deflector, ash tool and wood chip tool at the same time.

hoki

On 3/24/2017 at 6:17 PM, smoker08 said:

Looks like a great dinner tonight. So do tell, what do you think of the Safire compared to the Akorn? How did the lump consumption and temp attain and retain compare?

It was a great dinner, I ate to much though:-D.  I wish I could answer those questions for you, I'll let you know as I figure it out.

hoki

On 3/29/2017 at 4:42 PM, zero said:

@hokihigh, I see you're using a Thermopro as well.  Is it working out for you?  I saw it had pretty good reviews on Amazon, and cheaped out and got one instead of a Maverick (which was $20 more for the same functions), which seems like the favored brand on this forum.  It works ok for me, but before the temperatures have stabilized much there's a LOT of swing in the readings.  Furthermore, it woke me up at 3:30 a.m. when I did my first overnight smoke, only to find the temperature was still within my desired range.

Thoughts?

That was my first time using it, I think the meat probe runs a little cold, I'm going to try to verify that...

hoki

On 4/2/2017 at 7:28 AM, hokihigh said:

That was my first time using it, I think the meat probe runs a little cold, I'm going to try to verify that...

hoki

Roger.  After this weekend's cook, I think mine ironically runs a little hot.  ThermoPro was reading 207 and an instant-read (Taylor brand?) said it was 202 or so.  Then there's the BBQ probe, which continues to be the bane of my existence.  When I woke up, it was still showing 227F, but confused to see the meat already over 200 (about 9 hours into of a 12-pound cut).  I walked outside to find the dome thermometer on my Akorn pegged about 250, which means it really was closer to 300F.  Ugh, maybe it's time to eat the cost and buy a Maverick.