• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
maroongoon

XL Big Green Egg

I will start off by saying I have a Classic Kamado Joe and have been looking at the new Big Joe. Today I was out an about town running errands and one place I stopped is a BGE dealer. The owner and I talked about the differences and similarities between the BGE and the KJ. I was then offered a deal on XL Big Green Egg. The deal is XL BGE, platesetter, and a BGE cypress XL table for $1500. Is this a good deal? I know the Big Joe was going to run around $1800 to $1900. 

I'd spend the money on the Joe. I have an XL egg, a mini, had a large and medium and another mini.
The additions of the new kj are pretty nice and show that they listen to their customer base. Their warranty is just as good I've heard and the accessories that come standard would cost more in the long run for the XL egg. Just my two cents on the subject

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

keep in mind both the egg and joe  they are both the same as far as performance goes i had the xl it was great cooker and i am sure if i had ever owned a joe that would be too the price for a new egg xl is 1199 cypress table is prob 500 to 800 depending where u get it and the plate setter is around 120 so he is give a ok deal imo 

My biggest thing on my eggs i hated the hinge and  that is any ceramic cooker   had to constantly adjust them and of course the firebox i had to get that replaced a few times because of cracks the reasons above is why i went with a kk all those issues above i have no longer 

the 2017 model of joe they improved the hinge and latch  and way better gasket and new firebox  if i had to pick between the egg and joe now and no other cooker i might be inclined to buy the joe at that price cause of all the accessories and improvements  they have ... the egg everything else is extra

but again they will  perform the same and you will get great results whatever you buy

That is a good deal, but I'd still lean towards the Joe. The hinge on my LBGE drove me nuts having to readjust it after every high heat cook. I haven't had any experience with the XLBGE but it seems like a more complicated setup

If you can get a Big Joe at roadshow prices I'd go that way.

That's a lotta goodies for fifteen hundred bucks. If I were in the market for an xl kooker I would be all over that. I got a great deal on a Big Joe. Last years model. I would say that deal you are looking at is about as good as mine was for the Joe and I bet it's gonna look mint in that table.

That sounds like a pretty good deal. As a point of reference, I was just looking at an XL BGE at my local Ace Hardware yesterday and they were offering a package deal with nest, side tables, grill gripper, and bag of charcoal etc for $1269 plus tax. It did not include a plate setter. I like the way the hinge works on the XL model. For me personally the draw back over it vs. the Big Joe is not having the D&C system. But overall it sounds like a decent deal. 

I cook on a large BGE and just love it. in almost 5 years of hard cooking I have not experienced any of the issues, some others have stated. I do wish the hinge assembly was better, but my Egg was aligned from day one and is still pretty darn close. $1,500 for the set up  you listed is a pretty darn  good deal, if it is real. I like the Joe as well, but paying $300 to $400 more for a Joe, I assume without a table, is a lot in my book. If the deal is legit I would probably go with the EGG. 

I was just at a hardware store a few towns away and they are dealers for both BGE and KJ.  I found that hard to believe but it is true.  I was asking the staff about the 2 brands and playing a little dumb about it to see if they knew what they were talking about or just trying to push 1 over the other.  They have a blow up BGE display out front, a small BGE display (medium, and Large BGE) as soon as you walk in and in the basement where the grills are located a big BGE display with a XL, table and many bags of BGE Lump.  On the side there was a KJ Classic II.  One of the guys stated he felt the ceramics on the BGE were better and held temps better.  He had a hard time holding temps on the KJ and that is if he was able to get it up to temp.  But said it is basically a toss up because they are both great grills.  The other guy liked the KJ better because the new hinge.  So yeah its a toss up and comes down to personal preference.  

From what I have seen, $1500 for all of that looks like a good deal.  

Just curiosity, how is the BGE lump?  They had a lot and if it is better than Royal Oak, I might pick up a few bags next time I am in the area.