Been a "sidebox smoker" for years and been reading this forum lately for info on Kamado smokers and just pulled the trigger on a new Akorn Smoker.  

Thanks to you guys I am starting with most everything I need, including grate and diffuser pan, party BBQ temperature controller, and a thicker heat ribbon for the seams. 

IMAG0350.jpgI greatly appreciate all the info you freely share on here and look forward to adding to the discussion! 

DJ 

Enjoy. I got mine a few weeks ago after discovering the unit at a big box store and reading the rave reviews on pretty much every site. The pricepoint was doable for me while the 800-1500 pricepoint for the professional kamados was not. 

I can can tell you that so far I love the thing. Only cooked a rack of St. Louis style ribs (best I've ever done) and some grilling sessions -burgers, dogs and boneless chicken breast so far.....

when weather gets nicer it will be unleashed. 

Ps: best accessory I got was a Weber chimney for lighting the coals for the hot grilling cooks. Lights up the lump in minutes to fiery red coals ready for grillng and searing. I dump them over half the Weber grate at mid level to get them closer to cooking surface. 

Welcome and I know you will enjoy it. These kamados smoke the most moist food you've ever eaten. In short order you will be spoiled and will hate going to anyplace and having them cook for you. You will find yourself saying, "I could have cooked better than this and half the cost". Just be careful saying it out loud in front of your wife unless you know she fells the same way.

Thanks guys.  I do have a chimney I used for my old Brinkman, and I picked up some starters for smoking in the Akorn to avoid temp overshooting.  Being a smoking veteran, the thing that has me excited is eliminating the seemingly constant tending that my old Smoker required. 

This site is awesome if you're new to the game.  About 80% of any Google query directs to here.  Keep in mind if you have questions it's likely someone else has already asked.  But a new conversation is always fun to keep everyone engaged in it.  Welcome, hope to see some good stuff cooked there.

@dejomatic - nice setup.  That is one very nice looking Akorn.  You're gonna love the food you cook on that little kamado.  Congrats to ya.

Now I'm not trying to start anything here by what I'm about to write.  I genuinely want to know ... Some time back, Akorn had some QC problems.  I've heard that such is not the case anymore.  I'd like the honest opinion of a new Akorn owner as to the quality out of the box.

44 minutes ago, CeramicChef said:

Now I'm not trying to start anything here by what I'm about to write.  I genuinely want to know ... Some time back, Akorn had some QC problems.  I've heard that such is not the case anymore.  I'd like the honest opinion of a new Akorn owner as to the quality out of the box.

CC I got mine in Oct 2016 and the only thing I did was lower vent nomex mod, haven't had any issues with it. I have the Jr but don't think that matters but others will surely chime in on quality of their Akorn's.  I went thru the threads about this brand before I purchased and find I haven't had the issues reported when they first arrived on the scene! Ckreef says that the gasket is second only to the KK gaskets and I can say mine doesn't leak at all and holds temp like a champ.

Garvin

@Garvinque - thanks!  I appreciate the feedback.  Some time back, I was challenged to get an Akorn and cook on it.  The third one, the first two were not up to snuff, turned out just fine.  And it was a pretty good little cooker.  Just not my style.  I donated it to a Boy Scout Troop and those kids have cooked the wheels off the thing.  It's showing some wear now, but is still very serviceable and I'd think it has a real good 2 - 4 years of life still left in it.

@dejomatic - please forgive me.  I don't mean to hijack your thread here.  Its just that your Akorn looks so good, I'm really impressed.  Good.

21 hours ago, CeramicChef said:

CC I was not happy with mine until i did mods on mine way back years ago.

Ever since i can not walk by a display with out checking the bottom slide. It is just like Goldilocks and the Three Bears. They seem to run from too tight, to too loose, to just right. The one that I checked this year was extremely loose and flopped back and fourth. It should not be like that but --it is easy to fix if one wants to.

IMO they are both an awesome value and produce awesome food.

I bought mine about two years ago now and have not touched it with any mods but I do usually use a TTT on it. No need as it was good to go out of the box. I did pinch the gasket to get a small leak fixed. :)  I also bought a Jr. last year and put a small piece of gasket material on the lower vent and it shuts down a little faster than it did straight out of the box.