2017 Costco PitBoss 24 Questions

molove

I'm really interested in buying one of these. I have read that earlier models can have a few issues, mainly that the vents can be leaky and don't extinuish the coals when completely shut down, or the top vent not closing properly.

Can anyone tell me if these issues have been fixed now on the 2017 model?

Thanks

I'm really interested in buying one of these. I have read that earlier models can have a few issues, mainly that the vents can be leaky and don't extinuish the coals when completely shut down, or the top vent not closing properly.
Can anyone tell me if these issues have been fixed now on the 2017 model?
Thanks

Mine doesn't seem to have any issues, but this is my first kamado and I'm not exactly sure what normal looks like. Working great for me tho!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I have the older style and the "issues", if you can call them that, are not anything to worry about. $10 worth of Nomex felt and the upper and lower vents are sealed up. I doubt the 2017 model will be totally "issue" free but most of these little issues are easily rectified. The underlying build of these is very good so, you should have a great Kamado at a great price that if taken care of should give you many years of service. ;-)

Hey EZ Smoke, I was reading the Pit Boss Review thread and saw that you were running out of fuel at 8 hours on a low and slow cook. I too use an Akorn, I've never had it run out of fuel and always have plenty of charcoal left over even after a 14 hour cook.

Now you have had some time getting used to the PB do you still find it runs out of fuel at 8 hours or can you get longer cooks out of it without having to refuel?

The intake on the 2017 model should be tighter, as the intake screen the intake was designed to accommodate, but was missing last year, perhaps due to patent problems with  Vision grills, is now present on the new run from Pit Boss, making the intake tighter.  I've been told by Dansons ( Pit Boss parent company) that the new intake will be an orderable part once the current production run for Costco is over. I don't feel any need to order one, as I used the $10 Nomex seal fix, which was very simple to do, and my grill sits on a concrete patio, so I don't sweat a possible spark...

The fact the 2017 comes with the ceramic plate setter and the new intake makes it the biggest bargain in ceramic grills today.

On 3/27/2017 at 1:08 PM, molove said:

Hey EZ Smoke, I was reading the Pit Boss Review thread and saw that you were running out of fuel at 8 hours on a low and slow cook. I too use an Akorn, I've never had it run out of fuel and always have plenty of charcoal left over even after a 14 hour cook.

Now you have had some time getting used to the PB do you still find it runs out of fuel at 8 hours or can you get longer cooks out of it without having to refuel?

The fact that I ran out of fuel was my own fault. I attempted to use an aftermarket diffuser set-up that sat down into the fire box. That set-up didn't allow me to fill the fire box as full as it should have been for low and slow. With the OEM diffuser (I purchased later) I can get the fire box filled with lump and I have cooked for 14+ hours without any issues running out of fuel. HTH

Another quick question, how thick are the gaskets? I've read that Vision gakets are twice as thick as the main brands and was wondering if this was the case with the PB24 too

I got a pit boss last week and just did the gasket modification. I found that after my first few cooks you could still see smoke coming out of the top vent when everything was closed. The top vent seemed pretty loose and after putting another layer of nomex felt tape made it fit incredibly snug. 

I checked the bottom vent and it seemed really well sealed up with a heat resistant caulk. When I examined it from the inside I could see a little daylight at the bottom of the vent where the gasket wasn't quite thick enough. I cut off an inch or two of the tape and shoved it in there to block it out. I may get a tube of the heat resistant sealant and see if I can seal it better if needed.

I also replaced the thermometer based on other reviews of the grill. The whole modification cost $30 and took 15 minutes to do.