molove

2017 Costco PitBoss 24 Questions

3 hours ago, jadocs said:

I may be wrong but it sure looks like the BGE, Vision, and BigJoe ceramic bodies are all made by the same manufacturer so the quality (I assume is the same).

BGE ceramics are made in Mexico. Big Joe is made in China but I am not sure by what company. Auplex in China makes the Vision, Pit Boss, Grilla, and other brands. You can actually order a batch direct from Auplex branded however you would like for less than the cost of the Pit Boss, but you will be on your own for warranty and any issues. 

The ceramic material is slightly different on the BGE, but they cook the same and crack the same etc.   The big difference is in the other pieces and the accessories.

BGE comes with the old school top cap and a single cooking grate, but it is a decent stainless grate. Pit Boss comes with a thinner stainless two level grate, a better top cap that does not flop or lose settings when the lid is opened plus a lot of accessories, but they more more issues with leaks on the top and bottom vents that owners may have to address. 

KJ now comes with an even better top cap the doesn't lose settings and keeps rain out. They have a new gasket that should last much better than felt, and a really nice hinge with near zero lid weight.  They include a lot of stuff like the PB but the divide and conquer system is both a better design and higher quality than the PB grates.  Don't kid yourself, the PB is not identical to a KJ in quality, but it is a fraction of the price and will cook the same. 

I looked at a BGE the other day and I was impressed by how snug/tight their firebox is formed to the ceramic body - at least of the one I looked at.  It is so tight that I don't see why any BGE owner would ever bother pulling out the firebox to clean or any other reason.  It's so tight that I doubt much of anything falls inbetween the firebox & body.   As compared to the PB and many others we have a good half inch or more of air gap between the firebox & body all around.  As far as cooking goes I'm not sure one would be better than the other... but being designed to have such a snug fit of the components is one area where the BGE appears to have more craftsmanship.    

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of quality and craftsmanship. If I had the disposable income I would buy a Komodo Kamado, but I think you can't go wrong with the PB.  I'm pretty sure the ceramic is of equal quality to the competition at twice the price (it's nice and thick too)...so if I can control the heat and smoke/cook what I want then (to me) the output is the same.

My PB is still smoldering from the cook yesterday. Temp is 150. I shut it down around 5 yesterday.

i contacted support. Since smoke poured from the bottom of the top vent, it's clear that isn't sealed tight. But as I said to them the bottom vent must be leaking for it to get oxygen to smolder.

i realize we all got a great deal. However, this is very poor quality

smoldering is natural as it doesnt take much for an ember to stay lite, however i agree lots of air leaks. But with anything you get what you pay for, for the price i paid i am happy to make a few mods to get the grill working like any other kamado on the market. I do like all the accessory options available to others but not at the premium price difference. There are lots of treads on how and what to fix, its doesnt cost much or take much time. Youll need 2nd layer of felt under top vent also a little work around bottom but once that is done you wont have to muck with it for quite some time to ever depending on well you fixed. 

5 hours ago, Sdpike said:

My PB is still smoldering from the cook yesterday. Temp is 150. I shut it down around 5 yesterday.

i contacted support. Since smoke poured from the bottom of the top vent, it's clear that isn't sealed tight. But as I said to them the bottom vent must be leaking for it to get oxygen to smolder.

i realize we all got a great deal. However, this is very poor quality

It's a feature not a shortcoming! That way you get to start every cook with new charcoal :-)

51 minutes ago, mrzippy said:

It's a feature not a shortcoming! That way you get to start every cook with new charcoal :-)

With the added benefit of over time learning just the right amount to use.......

I tried felt around the bottom vent. Was too stiff and wouldn't slide for me. I haven't had any issues with putting the coals out but in the back of my mind I always wonder how much more efficient It could be. Have thought about bending it some or maybe putting some silicon around the edges. In the meantime I've just been cooking and enjoying the food...

2 hours ago, rahrah12 said:

I tried felt around the bottom vent. Was too stiff and wouldn't slide for me. I haven't had any issues with putting the coals out but in the back of my mind I always wonder how much more efficient It could be. Have thought about bending it some or maybe putting some silicon around the edges. In the meantime I've just been cooking and enjoying the food...

Yeah, it literally takes a minute to run some gasket maker (autozone) under the lower vent (not talking about the sliding mechanism but under the actual vent assembly).  You have to wonder why it comes with sealant across the top, but none on the bottom. Easy to do on the sides of the vent assembly as well if needed. Everything else is just felt on the slider ends (in the closed position - if required).

It comes only on the top because thats what you see. I too was surprised to not see any on the bottom either. As for getting felt on the bottom vent, i went through several iterations before what i settled on was bending the metal vents a little so they pushed firmly against the side as well as putting felt on the side of the bottom opening attached to the ceramic and hanging out just a bit to the vent pushes across it like weather stripping on the bottom of a home door. 

7 hours ago, ifican said:

It comes only on the top because thats what you see. I too was surprised to not see any on the bottom either. As for getting felt on the bottom vent, i went through several iterations before what i settled on was bending the metal vents a little so they pushed firmly against the side as well as putting felt on the side of the bottom opening attached to the ceramic and hanging out just a bit to the vent pushes across it like weather stripping on the bottom of a home door. 

Thats exactly what I was thinking about doing. 

On 7/11/2017 at 7:39 PM, jadocs said:

When you put your top vent on did you notice that it was not a snug fit? Smoke or air can escape from underneath it with the top vents closed. The single layer of felt on the lid (chimney) is not thick enough.

As far as the bottom vent, if you get some smoke going on your grill and close all your vents, then burp your lid and close it again you will see where smoke escapes. On mine it was at the bottom of my lower vent where there was no factory sealant and on each end (left and right) of the vent (but not much in this area...I won't do anything in this area until I seal the top with felt and see how it goes).

Burping the lid and closing it forces smoke out so you can see immediately where it needs to be sealed. If smoke can get out then burning coal can suck air in and remain smoldering. Enough smoke escaped out underneath my lower vent that it required me to seal it.

i am a newbie can you provide some pictures on this fix? just got my grill setup. 

can i use the nomex tape for this fix?

https://www.amazon.com/FireBlack-Black-Replacement-Gasket-LavaLock/dp/B017XZLZEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500851614&sr=8-1&keywords=nomex+gasket

On 4/1/2017 at 11:15 AM, gbaldwin81 said:

I got a pit boss last week and just did the gasket modification. I found that after my first few cooks you could still see smoke coming out of the top vent when everything was closed. The top vent seemed pretty loose and after putting another layer of nomex felt tape made it fit incredibly snug. 

I checked the bottom vent and it seemed really well sealed up with a heat resistant caulk. When I examined it from the inside I could see a little daylight at the bottom of the vent where the gasket wasn't quite thick enough. I cut off an inch or two of the tape and shoved it in there to block it out. I may get a tube of the heat resistant sealant and see if I can seal it better if needed.

I also replaced the thermometer based on other reviews of the grill. The whole modification cost $30 and took 15 minutes to do. 

can you tell me which thermometer did you use? is it on amazon?

43 minutes ago, dws780 said:

i am a newbie can you provide some pictures on this fix? just got my grill setup. 

can i use the nomex tape for this fix?

https://www.amazon.com/FireBlack-Black-Replacement-Gasket-LavaLock/dp/B017XZLZEO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500851614&sr=8-1&keywords=nomex+gasket

I didn't take any pics when I did it. That nomex should work fine. Just take the two bolts securing the top vent out and wrap the nomex over the existing felt. Do a test fit to make sure the top vent is still not loose. Do another wrap if you need to. I have read that some people did not use the two bolts after doing this because the extra wrap of felt made it a very snug fit. I on the other hand did reuse the two Billy by making a hole in the extra felt using a nail and razor blade. Make sure not to over tighten the nut and bolt because the ceramic needs a little room to expand. Finger tight is all you need. 

On the bottom vent just run some high temp silicon or get some gasket maker under the lower vent. 

Lastley i I found no need to replace the dome thermometer. It's plenty accurate enough. If your worried about the difference in dome temp from grate temp just run the temp on your dome 25 degrees lower.