Plaid Palace

Recipe help for a filet mignon

Ok, so I have looked over the internet and have not found a good recipe for a filet. 

My Father-In-Law has requested I cook him one for his bday coming up. Lots of pressure here to come through with an outstanding piece of meat. I was going to buy a couple and do 2 different recipes as a trial and pick the best one to serve for the big occasion. 

He requested he have blue cheese on his. I'm not a blue cheese fan. Would it be ok to just toss some blue cheese crumbles on at the end on almost any steak seasoning or marinade? 

Any my ideas on recipes? I'm going to reverse sear the steaks. 

All help is is greatly appreciated. 

I make on off-the-cuff version of this (often depending on what I have at home at the time my wife requests it), but we love em....two things every filet needs....LOTS of seasoning and a sauce (or bacon wrap).  The beef on it's own is pretty boring.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/72267/blue-cheese-crusted-filet-mignon-with-port-wine-sauce/

I crust it up in the oven though under the broiler.  Have never got a crust proper on the kamado...too moist of environment.

Edit...should add.  I either reverse-sear or sous-vide before a searing finish in the kamado THEN under the broiler for the crust.  Have done it in the pan as recipe states and works well too.

9 minutes ago, SmallBBQr said:

I make on off-the-cuff version of this (often depending on what I have at home at the time my wife requests it), but we love em....two things every filet needs....LOTS of seasoning and a sauce (or bacon wrap).  The beef on it's own is pretty boring.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/72267/blue-cheese-crusted-filet-mignon-with-port-wine-sauce/

I crust it up in the oven though under the broiler.  Have never got a crust proper on the kamado...too moist of environment.

Edit...should add.  I either reverse-sear or sous-vide before a searing finish in the kamado THEN under the broiler for the crust.  Have done it in the pan as recipe states and works well too.

I don't like blue cheese. Would this recipe be good minus the blue cheese?

I'm sure it would be good without the blue cheese....you would just skip the broiler step for one of the steaks.  

You could probably also substitute another type of soft cheese - just a regular "cream" cheese" would work fine - and still get the nice crust without the "dirty sock" on top!

Totally agree with 5698k KISS is the ticket. The only thing I would add is a few bacon crumbles along with the blue cheese. If I made and used the wine reduction sauce I would ladle it onto the plate and set the  steak on top of it, without pouring the sauce over the steak. Sounds like a great dinner. 

As Robert said, season with S&P and let it rest 30 to 40 minutes. Then place on the kamado (at 275 to 300) indirect until the IT is 110 to 113 degrees. Remove, cover with foil and stoke your fire until at least 500 degrees. Now sear each side for 1 to 2 minutes depending on how you like your meat. (Filet is best at Medium rare (130 to 135 IT) or medium (136 to 140 IT) at the most) Over the fire as close as you can get them or in a smoking hot cast iron pan.

Right before your ready to serve I'd make up some Blue Cheese & Herb spread. (2 tbsp. butter, 1/2 tsp. Thyme, 1 clove minced garlic and 1/2 tsp. cracked black pepper, 1/2 cup Blue Cheese) Sautee the butter and herbs and then add the blue cheese at the very last moment, stir and cook for 15 to 30 seconds and then pour some over the filet. 

25093007171_4c1d3cc2aa_z.jpg

25067991292_0435b142f3_z.jpg

TO DIE FOR!!!

I do cheese crusted steaks all the time. Search under my name you'll find a few different versions. 

For a cheese crust use about 60/40 mix of blue cheese/panko bread crumbs. Add any extra spices, bacon etc. Then add just enough mayo to hold it all together. 

Once you pull the steaks smear  a layer of the cheese mixture to the top of each steak. Put them on a cold pan in a pre heated broiler as close to the broiler as possible. Keep a close eye on them as it'll only take 30-60 seconds to brown the cheese. Serve immediately. 

Almost every time I eat  a decent steak I'll cheese crust it. Parmesan, feta, blue, feta/blue combo etc.... 

I made Adam Perry Lang's Whole Beef Tenderloin with Honey and Worcestershire for Christmas last year. Awesome! my father-in-law said it was the best piece of beef he ever had. If you have any trouble finding the recipe, let me know and I'll post it.

The reverse sear on my large BGE...

1. No heat deflector.
  2. Grill Dome grill extender grate, legs down.
  3. I bake the steak at 250° until the internal temperature is 115°.
  4. I pull the steak, invert the grate so it's 2" above the lump, legs up, and blast my lump with my BBQ Dragon to get to Warp 10 searing heat.
  5. I blot my steak dry with a paper towel and then apply some beef love, rendered beef fat, and put it on the grate to sear.

You really don't need your heat deflector when you're starving your lump to keep your baking temperature at 250°. There will be no flames, just smoldering lump coal, so your steak will not brown hardly at all during this step.

IMG_4823.JPG

IMG_4824.JPG

IMG_4828.JPG

IMG_4847.JPG

While I agree with all the crust comments, I don't understand the only salt/pepper / simple comments for a Filet Mignon to be honest.  Filet is a such a boring piece of bland meat.  Beautiful texture, but no taste!  

25 minutes ago, SmallBBQr said:

While I agree with all the crust comments, I don't understand the only salt/pepper / simple comments for a Filet Mignon to be honest.  Filet is a such a boring piece of bland meat.  Beautiful texture, but no taste!  

Agreed! Filet Mignon is not a very flavorful cut of meat because there is very little fat. Fat is flavor!!! That's why my favorite cut of beef is the cap of a USDA Prime grade Ribeye. 

When I cook beef tenderloin I prefer to trim it into a Chateaubriand cut. I Sous Vide it at 130° for 4 hours and then I seared it on my 26" Weber kettle with the Slow N Sear. I prefer to make a bernaise sauce to serve with it. I think bernaise sauce is the most common sauce offered with Filet Mignon in most expensive Steakhouses. Plus it's not a difficult sauce to make. 

I just did that exact cook this last weekend for some friends.

IMG_6885.JPG

IMG_6890.JPG

IMG_6896.JPG

IMG_6906.JPG

IMG_6910.JPG

IMG_6915.JPG