JB58

Serial # ?

Trying to register My grills and on Kamado Joe's web site it says the number is under the base. I see a 3 digit number on the inside of the bowl and a different 3 digit number on the inside of the lid. The book that came with each has a 7 digit number. Which one am I supposed to use ?

Been down this road , got BJ all setup in the table and then find out they ask for the #'s on the base couldn't believe it !! , so then I checked JR. and could not find any numbers at all and finally  just used the ones in the book.

Don't think there is any #'s on the base and why they can't update there manuals , which mine were outdated with other material is beyond me.

When I bought my Joe Jr and Big Joe together (Costco deal), I received 2 generic manuals, each with a serial number.  Have no clue which serial number belongs to which cooker.

KJ said it didn't matter in the long run...

3 hours ago, Silicon Sam said:

When I bought my Joe Jr and Big Joe together (Costco deal), I received 2 generic manuals, each with a serial number.  Have no clue which serial number belongs to which cooker.

KJ said it didn't matter in the long run...

:shock: Doesn't matter? You mean they don't have the serial numbers associated with a particular unit? I hate to say it but this is the first thing I can't believe coming from Kamado Joe. I guess the reason they said it really didn't matter was that you are registering both of them. Since you said you got it as a Costco deal I guess the books really came from the boxes your 2 were in. Knowing that the serial numbers really do belong to those 2 cookers and not some other cookers. I would think if you ever needed to file a claim they would want to know the serial number of the offending unit. I can see it now..... "well it's either xxxxxxxxx or yyyyyyyyy".

All that aside, how do you like them and which do you use more?

Amazing how KJ come up with innovative new products and constant improvements to the grill, yet they cannot update the manual to tell people how to register the grill!  :-D

Must be an Irish owner........ 

I emailed Bobby Brennan when I got my Big Joe with some thoughts and one was the manual. He said they've either updated or in the process of doing so.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

On March 29, 2017 at 3:11 AM, smoker08 said:

:shock: Doesn't matter? You mean they don't have the serial numbers associated with a particular unit? I hate to say it but this is the first thing I can't believe coming from Kamado Joe. I guess the reason they said it really didn't matter was that you are registering both of them. Since you said you got it as a Costco deal I guess the books really came from the boxes your 2 were in. Knowing that the serial numbers really do belong to those 2 cookers and not some other cookers. I would think if you ever needed to file a claim they would want to know the serial number of the offending unit. I can see it now..... "well it's either xxxxxxxxx or yyyyyyyyy".

All that aside, how do you like them and which do you use more?

Yes, I registered both of them together.  I got 2 cookers, and 2 manuals.  Since the manuals are generic, and are not for a specific model, no way to tell which is which. 

I use the Big guy for stuff like briskets, 4-5 rib racks at a time, bunch of turkey legs and such.

But the lady and I tend to use the Jr far more often, since it is just the both of us.  The gasket is long ago toasted, and really needs to be replaced. Gasket doesn't like being subjected to 1000+ temps at all. Gotta get me a Thermoworks Smoke someday, so I can better watch it.

As some of the experienced folks will say... You should take a day and pay with temp control. Start by trying to hit 225F and stable for an hr. Then 275F, 325F, 350F, 400F, 450F, 500F. Make sure you keep copius notes and use the lump you plan on always using. Write all this down and you will have a reference for future cooks. With that knowledge in your basket you should never have a runaway cook.

ADDED: Another thing to remember is you may start it with top and bottom vents full open but close them down to the needed position when your temp is 50F below your desired temp. Also remember once you make a vent adj wait a half hour before adjusting again and make small adjustments.

1 hour ago, smoker08 said:

As some of the experienced folks will say... You should take a day and pay with temp control. Start by trying to hit 225F and stable for an hr. Then 275F, 325F, 350F, 400F, 450F, 500F. Make sure you keep copius notes and use the lump you plan on always using. Write all this down and you will have a reference for future cooks. With that knowledge in your basket you should never have a runaway cook.

ADDED: Another thing to remember is you may start it with top and bottom vents full open but close them down to the needed position when your temp is 50F below your desired temp. Also remember once you make a vent adj wait a half hour before adjusting again and make small adjustments.

Yeah I've been playing with mine, so far 2 spatchcocked chickens, some burgers and veggies and last night reverse seared some filets and did some more veggies. Have a corned beef brisket and a pork belly that will be on sometime this weekend.