• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
    • DerHusker

The Challenges are Back!   05/08/2017

Join in on the fun and take this month's "Crack Pot Challenge"     We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".    We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".   
nstigator

Blaze Kamado Tour

29 posts in this topic

Here are some pictures, specs, quick facts, and videos on the Blaze Kamado:

The Blaze Kamado is the industry's first kamado grill made out of solid cast aluminum, up to 1 1/4" thick.  It offers incredible durability and heat control.   The non-porous grill body allows you to use any type of charcoal or wood, as well as any material for lighting the charcoal without worry of damaging or absorbing into the grill body.  As is said in one of the videos linked toward the bottom, this is a grill that your children and grandchildren will be able to cook on.  Blaze backs that claim up with a lifetime warranty on all parts, inside and out.

The grill:

Blaze_Kamado-01-600x600.jpg

Outside the grill

The blaze kamado does not use a gasket to seal the lid like many other kamados.  Instead, it has a tongue and groove design on the base and the lid.  This keeps a nice, tight seal and eliminates the need to replace gaskets over time.

Blaze_Kamado-17-600x600.jpg

The exhaust cap is cast molded on the lid, which also eliminates long term risk of falling off or breaking

Blaze_Kamado-05-600x600.jpg

The lid hinge is made from 304 grade stainless steel and features lift assist. 

Blaze_Kamado-07-600x600.jpg

Lift handle:

Blaze_Kamado-03-600x600.jpg

Bottom vent:

Blaze_Kamado-09-600x600.jpg

Temperature gauge:

Blaze_Kamado-04-600x600.jpg

Inside the grill:

The hex shaped grates are made of 304 stainless steel and are covered by the lifetime warranty.

The top grate is 20 inches and includes hinges on each side to help with charcoal or smoking wood management.  They weight just under 14.5 pounds.

Blaze_Kamado-12-600x600.jpg

Blaze_Kamado-15-600x600.jpg

The middle grate is 18 inches and can be used for heat deflector plates or water pans, or cooking closer to the fire.  It weighs just under 12 pounds.

Blaze_Kamado-18-600x600.jpg

The bottom grate is for charcoal and weights 9.75 pounds

Blaze_Kamado-19-600x600.jpg

Below the charcoal grate is the removable ash pan, which allows for easy cleanup between cooks

Blaze_Kamado-20-600x600.jpg

I think that covers the basics of the grill.  Here are a couple of videos with more information:

Introduction:

Frequently asked questions.  This includes answers to common questions I've seen on this forum related to heat retention and potential for melting at high temperatures:

There are a couple more informational videos about the Blaze on youtube, including a commonly mentioned video about it's durability.  I'm not linking them because I don't really think the scenarios they set up are all that realistic.  But in case you wanted to know, the Blaze holds up well to being shot at. :)  I think the main takeaway is that the Blaze can be transported more safely than a ceramic kamado, which makes it perfect for camping, RV-ing, etc.

There are also a few great videos specifically about cooking on the Blaze Kamado.  Here are a couple.  There are more on Youtube.  Just search for Blaze Kamado.

In addition to the specific Blaze cooking videos that you can find, I'll mention that I have been able to watch instructional videos that are based on other kamados and use their methods for cooking on my Blaze.  This is to say that the lighting, cooking, and heat management techniques have proven to me to be exactly the same on the Blaze as they are on the more commonly seen kamados on the market.

I bought a Blaze kamado in December of 2016 and have been cooking on it multiple times every week.  I have no experience with kamado cooking outside of the Blaze, but I will say that everything i have read about the versatility, heat control, and overall experience of kamado cooking applies to the Blaze.  I'm unashamedly biased here, but I think Blaze Grills has developed a real winner here.  It's definitely worth your consideration if you are browsing these forums looking for kamado options.

I really enjoyed this. Thank you. Is there an option for an additional grate for higher placement in the dome?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6 minutes ago, shuley said:

I really enjoyed this. Thank you. Is there an option for an additional grate for higher placement in the dome?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you.  Glad you enjoyed it. :)

I bought this to use when I need to extend the grilling area.  I've only used it once but it worked as expected.  I see it's not available on Amazon any more, or at least for the price I paid ($40).  I believe any extenders that fit up to 20" diameter grates should work fine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00THPQRIS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I also smoked ribs on the top and middle grate one time.  I used a rib rack on the middle grate and it turned out pretty good.  Here is a post about my experience with that.  I'd like to do more tests like this in the future.

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/32566-smoking-on-multiple-grates/?do=findComment&comment=432935

I'm curious about the fire grate. Obviously there is no fire ring. This raises two questions in my mind.

1. Is there no concern about warping due to the close proximity to a potentially 1000°+ fire?

2. How much efficiency would be gained by having a ring of sorts, forcing all airflow over the coals, not allowing any air to flow around them?

I'm curious, because I've cooked on pk grills for years, and have been very impressed. I won't be trading my kk's, but I'm very interested in a new competitor to the "big three"!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, 5698k said:

I'm curious about the fire grate. Obviously there is no fire ring. This raises two questions in my mind.

1. Is there no concern about warping due to the close proximity to a potentially 1000°+ fire?

2. How much efficiency would be gained by having a ring of sorts, forcing all airflow over the coals, not allowing any air to flow around them?

I'm curious, because I've cooked on pk grills for years, and have been very impressed. I won't be trading my kk's, but I'm very interested in a new competitor to the "big three"!

Here is an article I found that speaks to how stainless steel holds up to high temperatures.  (The grates on the Blaze are 304 grade stainless steel, for reference when reading the article):

http://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=1175

Interesting question about the fire ring.  The faq video I linked states that they held 250 degree temperature for over 24 hours in it.  I think the longest I've cooked on mine is about 13 hours, and I've never gotten close to running out of fuel.

I guess thinking this through, it takes a certain amount of fire to reach a certain temperature based on the fuel using and the heat retention qualities of the grill itself.  So it seems the air coming around the fuel itself is less important than how well the grill itself retains whatever heat it has.  You adjust the vents to keep the fire from spreading, increasing heat, and burning up more coals.  Maybe I'm thinking about this incorrectly?

Most of my family has PKs.  I still have a very old one that doesn't get used much any more since I bought the Blaze.  I'm still a huge fan of them though.

What is the distance between the top grate and top of the dome? And the extender grate you purchased how tall is that, do you think you can put a defector on the middle grate and brisket on the main grate with a fairly large pork butt on the extender?

Thanks'

Garvin

I wasn't clear. I'm not concerned about the grates warping, my kk's have stainless grates, no problem. My question is the body of the grill itself, how will it hold up to the extreme temperature right next to the fire.

The airflow question has as much to do with moisture retention as it does heat loss. The less amount of airflow gives higher moisture retention.

I agree to a point with your thoughts about temperature, less air means less fuel burned, or, a more efficient burn.

4 minutes ago, Garvinque said:

What is the distance between the top grate and top of the dome? And the extender grate you purchased how tall is that, do you think you can put a defector on the middle grate and brisket on the main grate with a fairly large pork butt on the extender?

Thanks'

Garvin

This is also something I want to test sometime.  I just measured the extender and dome.  Extender is about 4 inches and dome is about 12,  And putting food on a rack of some sort on the middle rack on top of the deflector might work as well.  (much like I did with the ribs).

Garvinque likes this

3 minutes ago, 5698k said:

I wasn't clear. I'm not concerned about the grates warping, my kk's have stainless grates, no problem. My question is the body of the grill itself, how will it hold up to the extreme temperature right next to the fire.

Ahh, I see.  Check the FAQ video I linked where that is tested.

I find this Blaze to an interesting member in the Kamado line up.

It appears to ring true to that article that I read about Michael Hackley and Shoppers Choice.

In the article Michael said that being in internet sales he had access to basically the whole line of products in various categories. He sets up working models to actively test the whole line of products in a category and then makes lists of possible improvements.

He then manufactures his own line that integrates improvements to fix the short comings with in the specific market supply.

The article said he started with fire place inserts and he intends Shopper Choice to be an umbrella under which he will sell products from his bag of individual companies along with their competitors. He makes money either way but he expects his companies to do well because of their superior design and build quality that eliminates short comings in the competing products

In the Blaze he seems to have targeted--the gasket(tongue and groove built in), portability, how ceramic can easily shatter,  built in ports for a rotisserie, ease of ash removal (lift out basket), integrated top vent, non porous shell that can not absorb lighter fluid or other smells, an aluminum shell reminiscent of the PK grill, light at 161 pounds, all grates and parts 304 stainless. These are arguably improvements although some are not exclusive to the Blaze.

The Blaze is 20 inches at the main grate. For comparison the Big Joe is 24 inches at the main grate. The Classic is 18 inches at the main grate.

The Blaze with nest and side tables---------------------$2,340--20" grate--18 inch middle grate--diffuser not included

The new Big Joe with nest and side tables------------$1700---24" inch grate--included split diffuser

The new KJ Classic with nest and side tables--------$1,200-18" inch grate---included split diffuser

Free shipping for all three.

The Kamado Joe includes the new design top vent, the Divide and Conquer adjustable rack system, new durable woven gasket, and new lift assist dome hinge, and new multi piece fire box that should prove to be impervious to cracking from heat.

The Blaze comes at a premium price with unique features and is 2 inches bigger than the Classic and is 4 inches smaller than the Big Joe.

Couple things come to mind immediately.

1. Love the size.  I have a keg now, and find 18" often a little too small, but a 24" would be too large for us.  A 20" would be perfect.
  2. How do you plug up the thermometer insert hole with a lead in it?  I could see probably making one DIY style with silicon or something.
  3. The hinged top surface is a pit pointless when the lower grate is installed and has a deflector/water pan as anything you add can't make it down the fire anyways....
  4. Would be nice to have an "accessory" so the middle grate could ALSO be used as an add-on surface for the upper grate so could do some double-duty....though, might still need two of them to get both an extension and something to hold the deflector.  I think I would probably just rig up some sort of hanger to hold a deflector below the main grate so you could use the hinged section to add smoke wood perhaps.
  5. Love the easy-add rotisserie.
  6. Where can I buy one in Canada?

Posted (edited)

46 minutes ago, SmallBBQr said:

Couple things come to mind immediately.

1. Love the size.  I have a keg now, and find 18" often a little too small, but a 24" would be too large for us.  A 20" would be perfect.
  2. How do you plug up the thermometer insert hole with a lead in it?  I could see probably making one DIY style with silicon or something.
  3. The hinged top surface is a pit pointless when the lower grate is installed and has a deflector/water pan as anything you add can't make it down the fire anyways....
  4. Would be nice to have an "accessory" so the middle grate could ALSO be used as an add-on surface for the upper grate so could do some double-duty....though, might still need two of them to get both an extension and something to hold the deflector.  I think I would probably just rig up some sort of hanger to hold a deflector below the main grate so you could use the hinged section to add smoke wood perhaps.
  5. Love the easy-add rotisserie.
  6. Where can I buy one in Canada?

I have not plugged up the insert hole.  I've wondered if I should do something also, but when the grill is smoking really good, I only see smoke coming out of the top and not out of the insert hole.  So it must not be big enough for this to be a concern.

I agree about the hinged top.  I've never used it except to help lift the grate off the grill, for which it is quite convenient.

Check their website to see if you have a local dealer in your area.  There are several websites that sell them as well.  I'm pretty sure that someone on this site bought in Canada recently.  

(Edit - @dodgeboy8888 lives in Montreal.  He ordered his from a local dealer and is getting it tomorrow)

http://www.blazegrills.com/where-to-buy/

Edited by nstigator
add more information
dodgeboy8888 likes this