• Announcements

• John Setzler

Site TOS/Guidelines Updated 5/2/2017   05/02/2017

Please take a moment to review these rules detailed below. If you agree with them and wish to proceed with the registration, simply click the "Register" button below. To cancel this registration, simply hit the 'back' button on your browser.   IF YOU ARE COMING HERE TO POST A COMPLAINT ABOUT YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE EXPERIENCE WITH ANY GRILL COMPANY OR ANY VENDOR AND HAVE NOT ESTABLISHED YOURSELF AS A PARTICIPANT ON THIS SITE, WE SUGGEST THAT YOU REFRAIN FROM MAKING THE POST.  IF YOU HAVE MADE LESS THAN 25 POSTS TO THIS FORUM, YOUR CUSTOMER SERVICE OR COMPANY COMPLAINT WILL LIKELY BE REMOVED FROM THE SITE AT THE DISCRETION OF THE MODERATORS AND ADMINISTRATOR.     THE IMPORTANT STUFF:   1. NO PROFANITY 2. NO PERSONALLY ABUSIVE BEHAVIOR 3. BE NICE.   Failure to adhere to these three basic rules can and will get you removed from this site.  You will get a verbal warning for a first offense.  After that you get suspended.  After that you get permanently suspended.  The decision of the administrator and moderators is final on any issues related to rules and behavior.   YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION: Personal information provided to the Kamado Guru website is NOT shared with any third party for any reason. EVER.    THE REST OF THE STUFF:

Please remember that we are not responsible for any messages posted. We do not vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any message, and are not responsible for the contents of any message.

The messages express the views of the author of the message, not necessarily the views of this bulletin board. Any user who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to contact us immediately by email. We have the ability to remove objectionable messages and we will make every effort to do so, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary.

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or by this bulletin board.

Our websites use cookies to distinguish you from other users of our website. This helps us to provide you with a personalised experience when you browse this site. For detailed information on the cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them see our cookie policy (link at the footer of each page).
    • DerHusker

The Challenges are Back!   05/08/2017

Join in on the fun and take this month's "Crack Pot Challenge"     We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".    We encourage everyone to challenge yourself to have fun and learn by participating in these "Challenges".   
nstigator

Blaze Kamado Tour

29 posts in this topic

I just found/joined this forum. I have owned my Blaze Kamado for two weeks now and I must say I love it. I'll be trying out a full brisket this weekend. I've smoked a Boston butt so far and was very happy with the results. I also purchased the stainless griddle/heat deflector and was please with it. I haven't tried the rotisserie kit yet, but plan to. 

nstigator and prowe like this

I just found/joined this forum. I have owned my Blaze Kamado for two weeks now and I must say I love it. I'll be trying out a full brisket this weekend. I've smoked a Boston butt so far and was very happy with the results. I also purchased the stainless griddle/heat deflector and was please with it. I haven't tried the rotisserie kit yet, but plan to. 

I'm glad you found this forum and to see that we now have another Blaze owner here. By my count, that makes 3 of us. :)

Good luck with your brisket this weekend. Be sure to take pictures and post about your experience over in the general cooking thread. This site is very helpful for both information about how to make good food and appreciation of good food that is made.

that grill looks really nice (just watched bbq guys video) 

wouldnt mind seeing some of your cooks on it.

@Lancejames Welcome to the Guru and congrats on your Blaze Kamado, please post plenty of pictures of your cooks!

Garvin

12 hours ago, Lancejames said:

Welcome. Please post some of your cooks as you cook. I really like the Blaze from what I see.

Welcome Lance. Those blaze grills look nice. Please feel free to share pix of the grill, your cooks, and any and all attempts to kill it either by firearms, explosion ,drowning or simply throwing off a roof. 

cschaaf, nstigator and Garvinque like this

If I do, I'll make sure to wear the white shrimp boots. Haha, I'm originally from South Louisiana so I was not surprised when I saw any of the extreme tests. I was surprised that I did not see excessive amounts of beer in each shot though. 

prowe likes this

Does your extender fit the Stainless top grate correctly? As in, is it solid? I ask because I am curious since it isn't round (but hex). Also, I do not own a Kamado Joe, but isn't the Blaze grate thicker? I am interested in buying an extender for those times I feel like having a lot of leftovers (It's only my wife and I). Plus, I've always wanted to use leftover smoked meat in Gumbo. 

Does your extender fit the Stainless top grate correctly? As in, is it solid? I ask because I am curious since it isn't round (but hex). Also, I do not own a Kamado Joe, but isn't the Blaze grate thicker? I am interested in buying an extender for those times I feel like having a lot of leftovers (It's only my wife and I). Plus, I've always wanted to use leftover smoked meat in Gumbo. 

Yes it fits my top grate well. Here's a couple of pictures. I'm not sure how the Blaze grates compare to the KJ. I guess whichever one you get, make sure the place you get it from has a good return policy.

6252f96f061079267599a9e5d2403f8c.jpg70a79384bead9c9680369af86479b1ba.jpg

On 2017-03-30 at 9:22 AM, nstigator said:

Here are some pictures, specs, quick facts, and videos on the Blaze Kamado:

The Blaze Kamado is the industry's first kamado grill made out of solid cast aluminum, up to 1 1/4" thick.  It offers incredible durability and heat control.   The non-porous grill body allows you to use any type of charcoal or wood, as well as any material for lighting the charcoal without worry of damaging or absorbing into the grill body.  As is said in one of the videos linked toward the bottom, this is a grill that your children and grandchildren will be able to cook on.  Blaze backs that claim up with a lifetime warranty on all parts, inside and out.

The grill:

Blaze_Kamado-01-600x600.jpg

Outside the grill

The blaze kamado does not use a gasket to seal the lid like many other kamados.  Instead, it has a tongue and groove design on the base and the lid.  This keeps a nice, tight seal and eliminates the need to replace gaskets over time.

Blaze_Kamado-17-600x600.jpg

The exhaust cap is cast molded on the lid, which also eliminates long term risk of falling off or breaking

Blaze_Kamado-05-600x600.jpg

The lid hinge is made from 304 grade stainless steel and features lift assist. 

Blaze_Kamado-07-600x600.jpg

Lift handle:

Blaze_Kamado-03-600x600.jpg

Bottom vent:

Blaze_Kamado-09-600x600.jpg

Temperature gauge:

Blaze_Kamado-04-600x600.jpg

Inside the grill:

The hex shaped grates are made of 304 stainless steel and are covered by the lifetime warranty.

The top grate is 20 inches and includes hinges on each side to help with charcoal or smoking wood management.  They weight just under 14.5 pounds.

Blaze_Kamado-12-600x600.jpg

Blaze_Kamado-15-600x600.jpg

The middle grate is 18 inches and can be used for heat deflector plates or water pans, or cooking closer to the fire.  It weighs just under 12 pounds.

Blaze_Kamado-18-600x600.jpg

The bottom grate is for charcoal and weights 9.75 pounds

Blaze_Kamado-19-600x600.jpg

Below the charcoal grate is the removable ash pan, which allows for easy cleanup between cooks

Blaze_Kamado-20-600x600.jpg

I think that covers the basics of the grill.  Here are a couple of videos with more information:

Introduction:

Frequently asked questions.  This includes answers to common questions I've seen on this forum related to heat retention and potential for melting at high temperatures:

There are a couple more informational videos about the Blaze on youtube, including a commonly mentioned video about it's durability.  I'm not linking them because I don't really think the scenarios they set up are all that realistic.  But in case you wanted to know, the Blaze holds up well to being shot at. :)  I think the main takeaway is that the Blaze can be transported more safely than a ceramic kamado, which makes it perfect for camping, RV-ing, etc.

There are also a few great videos specifically about cooking on the Blaze Kamado.  Here are a couple.  There are more on Youtube.  Just search for Blaze Kamado.

In addition to the specific Blaze cooking videos that you can find, I'll mention that I have been able to watch instructional videos that are based on other kamados and use their methods for cooking on my Blaze.  This is to say that the lighting, cooking, and heat management techniques have proven to me to be exactly the same on the Blaze as they are on the more commonly seen kamados on the market.

I bought a Blaze kamado in December of 2016 and have been cooking on it multiple times every week.  I have no experience with kamado cooking outside of the Blaze, but I will say that everything i have read about the versatility, heat control, and overall experience of kamado cooking applies to the Blaze.  I'm unashamedly biased here, but I think Blaze Grills has developed a real winner here.  It's definitely worth your consideration if you are browsing these forums looking for kamado options.

Hi!

I am the proud owner of a new Blaze Kamado, and I love it!! I'd like to know if you have experience with low and slow on the Blaze?? I have trouble keeping my temp below 300.. I light a simple spot in the midle, wait for 10 min, close the lid,but the temp is raising fast!! Do you have any advice??

thanks!!

3 minutes ago, S_Audet said:

Hi!

I am the proud owner of a new Blaze Kamado, and I love it!! I'd like to know if you have experience with low and slow on the Blaze?? I have trouble keeping my temp below 300.. I light a simple spot in the midle, wait for 10 min, close the lid,but the temp is raising fast!! Do you have any advice??

thanks!!

Welcome, please stop by and introduce yourself 

8 minutes ago, S_Audet said:

Hi!

thanks!!

Hi and welcome!  Glad to have another Blaze owner on here. :)

Yes, I cook low and slow on mine very often.  I assume you leave the vents wide open after closing the lid, right?  The temps will rise pretty fast here, which is what you want so you can start cooking sooner rather than later. :)  I start adjusting my vents once my temperatures get 20-30 degrees below my target temperature.  For low and slow, that means push both vent settings to really just barely open.  (you can check your manual for setting guidelines.  They are pretty accurate but really this is something you have to get a feel for through trial and error.  Every cooker behaves a little differently, plus wind conditions could affect things, etc)You should see the temps stop going up so quickly pretty much right away.  Once the temps have settled a bit and if they are close to your target temp, put the meat on.  If the temps stall at too low, open the vents a little more.

If you wait too long to close the vents, and/or the temps get high for some other reason, it will take a long time to get them back down.  You of course will appreciate this heat efficiency when you get good at hitting and staying at your target temp.  If you are close to 300, I wouldn't worry about it too much.  Put the meat on and close the vents to the barely open setting.  Especially if it's a forgiving meat like a pork butt.  Your temps will drop over time and your food should still turn out great.

I'll mention this as well even though it doesn't apply to your case specifically but because you will probably run into it and it speaks to management on the Blaze.  If you ever find that your temps drop below the target temp and keep falling and you start to fear that your fire is out - open the bottom vent damper door and blow into the bottom a few times.  If you look in, you may see some coals start to get red again.  Leave it like that until you see your temps starting to go up.  Then close and set your vents back where they need to be.

Let me know if you have any other questions.  Good luck and enjoy your cooker!

John Setzler and Garvinque like this

I don't have any experience with a  Blaze,  other than thinking they look super cool. I would think they would cook much like a highly machined Akorn with a relatively tight seal. Lot of folks here cook low and slow on Akorns, so I am thinking it is just a matter of how and when you set your vents. I cook on a large BGE. When I want a temp of less than 300, lets say 250-275, I light one cube starter in the center of a full load of lump. I let the cube burn for 3 to 5 minutes with the ld open and shut the lid and set my vents right from the start  to about a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch on the bottom and 1/4 to 1/2 inch on the top. shut the lid and keep an eye on your temp gauges.  If temps start to rise faster than I like I adjust the top vent. If your kamado stalls out on the way up give it a little time, eventually if it does not rise just open the top vent some more. Works for me.