Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Likes Big Butts

Umai or not to Umai

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Completely new to the game here and have not made any purchases as yet, aside from my handy dandy vacuum sealer.  In reading this article, the author states basically that nothing is gained out of buying Umai bags other than spending $30.  I tend to agree with this, especially since I have a dedicated refrigerator available.  The only other advantage I can gather is that it keeps things tidy, again not worth $30 if I have a dedicated fridge. 

Next, can you just buy any old slab o meat to dry age?  And by that I mean like a whole strip loin, choice or better?

What is the preferred temperature of refrigeration?

Any pointers, things to look for, or special accessories recommended?

Thanks guys, I know I could search and read 6 different threads to get all this but hey, I'm as lazy as the rest of you.  :)

Edited by Likes Big Butts

My first attempt at dry aging and I'm using the Umai bags. I think for the novice the bags are the way to go. After spending $130 for My Ribeye I didn't want to mess it up.
The bags allow the moisture to pass, protects the meat and no smell.
Instructions say do not use a dedicated fridge, use one that gets opened a lot to let moisture out. I think the recommended temp is 34 to 36 deg F.
d96e92da6536c6eee3f1185815d27239.jpg
From RD, 17.9 pounds.
14.2 pounds in the Umai bag to start.
I had to cut 3 pounds off the big end to get it to fit in the bag.
04a2a1a43deba769952bcd304d0df972.jpg
At one week after flipping the fat side is now down.
08152a36062ed048ccb4b2a7cf80c7c0.jpg
ca239841b1d9b9b32694be86518b8d32.jpg
Today three weeks in, letting it go one more week.
Weight is 12.1 pounds, no mold, no smells, no weird colors, feels very firm.
For first timer doing this I would recommend using a bag.
DryAgePro also sells these bags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quicky scanned the article. It seems the whiz can not operate his sealer and then declares the bags don't work. I have aged 6 rib eye primals with zero issues and they look exactly the way my local butchers commercial dry aging system puts out. Just saying...

3 hours ago, BhamBruni said:

Quicky scanned the article. It seems the whiz can not operate his sealer and then declares the bags don't work. I have aged 6 rib eye primals with zero issues and they look exactly the way my local butchers commercial dry aging system puts out. Just saying...

I was more interested in the fact they were able to do it with minimal effort without bags and repeatedly.

3 hours ago, coldfusion said:

Instructions say do not use a dedicated fridge, use one that gets opened a lot to let moisture out. I think the recommended temp is 34 to 36 deg F.

Makes sense, it's going to be a mostly dedicated fridge no matter what just because of space so I'll have to make sure this happens.

Another question, can you unfreeze a cut and use it?  I would assume you can as long as it was frozen fresh enough.

So here's what I got so far, 2 weeks as of yesterday.  Very firm, dry crust formed with no smells really of any kind.  I assume that's a good thing.  Used a fan in the fridge, should I stop that?  Any other suggestions?

Bones.jpg

Crust.jpg