Likes Big Butts

I think I have a problem

A buddy of mine asked me to cook a brisket and pork butt for his wife's birthday get together tomorrow.  I also wanted to try my hand at dry aging so I found a short loin on sale and bought the whole thing.  This picture doesn't reflect the dry age process just yet, I just wanted to illustrate that I have a problem with cooking too much.  I know that all of you are addiction enablers here but I definitely have family that thinks this is a problem.  Oh well, hope to have more pics tomorrow.

problem.jpg

If you have "problems" then I'm insane!  I am currently sitting on 3 beef packers, pork ribs, a brisket point, leg quarters, pork roast, whole pork belly, london broil, shrimp, talapia, I'm certain I missed a few and I just brought home some rib eye for dinner....  I've got problems!

I just did a quick count ... 10 four packs of my new favorite lager ... Landshark.  Its a really crisp lager with a wonderful finish.  I also have 2 cases of Guinness and a case of Harp.  I also have two bottles of Woodford, three handles of Tito's Vodka, a couple of bottles of Basil Hayden, and a bottle of Makers and a couple of Makers 46!

And there isn't bit of grill able protein in the place.  

Now THAT is a major malfunction here at ChezChef!

It's 4:15 a.m. and I got it on about 30 minutes ago.  Gonna go back to bed now with a certain confidence only kamado owners can understand.  Well, that and the remote thermometer I got running that'll wake me up if there's a problem.  Plenty of smoke, feeling good.

Cook1.jpg

Well, I once again didn't get around to after pictures.  BUT, both were pretty darn good.  The brisket wasn't the greatest I've ever done but still good.  The pork shoulder was the most amazingly moist one I've ever had.  I did wrap it in butcher paper after about 6 hours so all the drippings just kind of stayed in there, which I poured over the shredded portions.  It was delicious.  I did also inject it with a little OJ/apple juice combo, not too much just wanted to add a bit of flavor and moisture.

Question: Does everyone have humidity leakage from everywhere on their KJ?  Mine produces so much moisture that it "bleeds" throughout the cook from the top damper as well as the bottom.  A little bit of a problem in that I have to account for that on my deck.  I guess in the end I don't mind since I know it's keeping things nice and soaked, just means more mess to clean up.  Never had this much on the Akorn, some definitely but not nearly as much.

On 4/1/2017 at 4:15 AM, Likes Big Butts said:

It's 4:15 a.m. and I got it on about 30 minutes ago.  Gonna go back to bed now with a certain confidence only kamado owners can understand.  Well, that and the remote thermometer I got running that'll wake me up if there's a problem.  Plenty of smoke, feeling good.

Cook1.jpg

Ok, I don't like quoting pics but curiosity is killing this cat. What is that sitting atop your brisket? Looks like two separate pieces of meat.