Temperature control & indirect cooking

cybirr

Hi,

I just bought a woo ring and stone for indirect cooking (Vision S Kamado).  Did a test burn to see what temps were like.  I absolutely nailed 400F.  So hard I couldn't get it to cool to my target 350F at all.

With lower dampers, one barely cracked and the other closed I couldn't get anything less than 400F.  My questions.

How much affect does the upper dome vent have on temp control?  To smother the fire I close all vents in my attempt to lower the temp.  But normally wouldn't I want the vent fully open otherwise to vent excess smoke?

With the lower dampers closed the fire does die off and temps lower.  But with it even just cracked open temps rise quickly back to 400F.  What techniques would work to better control the temp?

My direct cooks have been great.  I just want to expand the repertoire and am looking for guidance on this.

Thank you.

23 minutes ago, cybirr said:

Hi,

I just bought a woo ring and stone for indirect cooking (Vision S Kamado).  Did a test burn to see what temps were like.  I absolutely nailed 400F.  So hard I couldn't get it to cool to my target 350F at all.

With lower dampers, one barely cracked and the other closed I couldn't get anything less than 400F.  My questions.

How much affect does the upper dome vent have on temp control?  To smother the fire I close all vents in my attempt to lower the temp.  But normally wouldn't I want the vent fully open otherwise to vent excess smoke?

With the lower dampers closed the fire does die off and temps lower.  But with it even just cracked open temps rise quickly back to 400F.  What techniques would work to better control the temp?

My direct cooks have been great.  I just want to expand the repertoire and am looking for guidance on this.

Thank you.

If you are leaving your top vent wide open, that is likely your issue.

Check out this post in the Vision Kamado section...

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/4933-temperature-control-by-vision-company-owner/

For a low and slow (indirect or direct, 225-250), I always have my top vent only slightly open. I may open it a bit more if the charcoal starts to get low over a long cook.

The only time I have my top vent even close to fully open is when I am trying to get the temperatures you are getting or significantly higher ones (pizza, searing for reverse sear).