Temperature control & indirect cooking

cybirr

Hi,

I just bought a woo ring and stone for indirect cooking (Vision S Kamado).  Did a test burn to see what temps were like.  I absolutely nailed 400F.  So hard I couldn't get it to cool to my target 350F at all.

With lower dampers, one barely cracked and the other closed I couldn't get anything less than 400F.  My questions.

How much affect does the upper dome vent have on temp control?  To smother the fire I close all vents in my attempt to lower the temp.  But normally wouldn't I want the vent fully open otherwise to vent excess smoke?

With the lower dampers closed the fire does die off and temps lower.  But with it even just cracked open temps rise quickly back to 400F.  What techniques would work to better control the temp?

My direct cooks have been great.  I just want to expand the repertoire and am looking for guidance on this.

Thank you.

23 minutes ago, cybirr said:

Hi,

I just bought a woo ring and stone for indirect cooking (Vision S Kamado).  Did a test burn to see what temps were like.  I absolutely nailed 400F.  So hard I couldn't get it to cool to my target 350F at all.

With lower dampers, one barely cracked and the other closed I couldn't get anything less than 400F.  My questions.

How much affect does the upper dome vent have on temp control?  To smother the fire I close all vents in my attempt to lower the temp.  But normally wouldn't I want the vent fully open otherwise to vent excess smoke?

With the lower dampers closed the fire does die off and temps lower.  But with it even just cracked open temps rise quickly back to 400F.  What techniques would work to better control the temp?

My direct cooks have been great.  I just want to expand the repertoire and am looking for guidance on this.

Thank you.

If you are leaving your top vent wide open, that is likely your issue.

Check out this post in the Vision Kamado section...

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/4933-temperature-control-by-vision-company-owner/

For a low and slow (indirect or direct, 225-250), I always have my top vent only slightly open. I may open it a bit more if the charcoal starts to get low over a long cook.

The only time I have my top vent even close to fully open is when I am trying to get the temperatures you are getting or significantly higher ones (pizza, searing for reverse sear).

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By Freddy Luc
      Hi all, I'm been trying to find someone who sells or ships spiders to canada for the pit boss. I want to set up for direct and indirect grilling can't find parts anywhere. Cermic grill store won't ship to canada ad their canadian distributor is sold out. Anyone here have any ideas????
    • By NVRider
      I have a smokin stone for my AKORN Kamado, but wanted one for my AKORN Jr.. I found that not only are they scarce, but pricey too. From searches on the forums I did not really see a good solution, so I gave it a try myself to come up with one. Here is what I got:
      Wally World has Lodge 10.5 inch griddles for $14.88.

Once out to the shop I cut the handle off. Just eye balled the cut off point to fit on the shelf in the cooker.

Went to the grinding wheel to eliminate the rough surfaces and then drilled holes in the handle and handle lip to hold the bolt, nut and lock washer.

Fit nicely in the cooker and was very stable.

You can remove the deflector with BBQ gloves or use the grill handle which fits nicely in the slot of the griddle handle.

Fired up the grill and seem to work just fine with some salmon fillets I did. 

• By Big Biscuit
      Some wangs seasoned with Oak Ridge BBQ Secret Weapon and slathered with Sweet & Spicy, and Honey BBQ Baby Ray's sauce. I also added a little extra heat via some cayenne pepper powder. 
       I just started a load of lump charcoal with a starter cube. Put the ×-rack on the high position, placed the heat diffuser half moons on, and then the grill grate. I closed the dome and opened the bottom vent completely. Then I opened the daisy wheel so all the holes aligned and swung the vent on top about a 1/4 of the way open. Waited for the temp to approach 400°, then closed the bottom vent about half way. Put the wings on and flipped them a few time so they would cook evenly. When they were almost done placed them in a stainless steel bowl tossed them with sauce threw them back on for a few minutes and viola!

• By HokieOC
      With my birthday coming up, I've asked for a few accessories for my new Kamado Joe, one of which is the pizza stone.

My wife pointed out that we have a pizza stone we use in the oven, which after looking around a bit it seems some people do use.  Does anyone know what the difference is, if any in a KJ/BGE pizza stone vs one of the "regular" ones from a bake shop?  Is there any advantage to getting the kamado specific ones?

If not, that will free me up to put another accessory on the wish list!
    • By BhamBruni
      A while back I was researching whether brining is advantageous for fish. The "Test Kitchen" ran several tests and determined that yes, fish is well suited to brining. They recommended 45-60 minutes max at I forget what percentage mixture. I recently purchased Oakridge Rubs "Game Changer Brine Mix". I used their mixture recommendations (which mirrored the the same time limit as the test Kitchen).

So, I brined for 50 minutes, dried off the fish, seasoned simply with butter, lemon, and dill. Cooked on Joe Jr, indirect, at about 500 (wanted 400 but it got away from me) for 16-17 minutes. The cooked texture was very good...almost silky. I did not sense a flavor profile from the brining, and it did not seem the least bit salty. The cooked fish was slightly more pale in color than those I did not brine. Note -- it was farm rasied salmon so they are not the most colorful to begin with

The flavor and texture was very satisfying to me. I think I will do it this way all the time going forward. The side dish was Trader Joe's Root Veggies (sweet potato, parsnip, beets, and carrots) roasted per their instructions.

Really easy, really tasty...