So I let mine rust out didn't take care of it like I should have got busy with a baby etc etc.. anyone ever bought a 2nd one? Got my first from walmart wanted to see if anyone got the one from home depot with the cart and how they like it i know same grill but do you like the cart with it? Been having to smoke food on the traeger where I work

@ricky84 - The Akorn has quite the following and a good number of folks do indeed purchase a second unit.  On the other hand, many users do go on to get a ceramic for the back patio.  Ceramics don't rust.  No matter which way you go, you'll have a fine cooker.

I was going to get a 2nd, rust got away from me on mine.  For twice the price of an akorn, i picked up a vision classic ceramic kamado.  For me, it was well worth it, and much cheape than bge/kj.  Only time will tell however. 

My 5 year old Akorn has no rust and is still working perfectly but when the day comes, I will buy another for sure.

My Akorn is over 4 years old now and starting to rust in several spots. I will most likely replace it with another one, due to the few advantages over a KJ. I would like to get a KJ Classic to replace it but the cost factor will most likely send me to the Akorn.

Just bought my second Akorn. The first rusted out and fell apart after 6 happy years of use. I bought a cover for my first one but always kept it outside and eventually the cover developed holes and you know the rest of the story. Anyway I bought another one last week and my plan is to keep it in the garage always when not in use. Hopefully it will last a lot longer. Maybe should have gone for a ceramic unit but the Akorn cooks so well I just couldn't justify the extra money.

Rick

I considered it when mine went to the wayside as yours did. For the first two years I had it I kept it under a covered porch but the rivnuts backed out in the dome making the lid very sketchy to open. Issues compounded once we moved and it was no longer under cover but rather on an open air deck; in six months it was terribly rusted and I couldn't even bring myself to cook on it.

I always wanted more space and better quality; when I got the Akorn, a XL Big Green Egg is what I wanted, I settled on the Akorn, and got educated about Kamado Joe. Now I have a Big Joe, it does what I want it to do but is a bit costly when compared to the initial purchase of a cheaper kamado. I bought into the brand because of the warranty, service, and quality. The only way I'd buy another Akorn was if they:

1. made it bigger
  2. gave it a real multi-level cooking system
  3. fixed the issues with the hardware and gave it a more sturdy hinge mechanism

Those were my three key issues with the Akorn. I feel that if they fixed those things then they would make it hard to justify spending the money on ceramic. The Weber Summit Charcoal has done all these things but it costs more than my Big Joe. I looked a one in a store a few weeks ago and my immediate thought was "Why has Char-Griller not went this way with the Akorn?"

I always keep a spare on hand!  At the end of the season, Walmart ends up marking these down here in MA, and I've picked one up each year for around $130.  My Akorn is still going strong, so I have sold the extras off to friends for cost.

I also had an issue with rivnuts when mine fell while tipping it to get water off the bottom shelf.  It went down pretty hard and pulled out the two upper hinge fasteners on the body of the Akorn.  I bought a "threaded fastener installation tool" from Harbor Freight and had them replaced within an hour.  (I pulled the body apart and then riveted it back together.)  Just this week I had a buddy notice the same two rivnuts were coming loose in his Akorn.  We took off the lid, pulled out the lid Riv-nuts and installed new ones in all of 10 minutes.  The rivnuts installed at the factory are too small for the job, and lack the amount of grip and security you get from the aftermarket ones.  Here's a picture of one I replaced in mine where you can see the difference in size:Akorn 03.jpg

Akorn's have their faults for sure but they do a really good job and economically speaking they're great value.  

Personally I don't take mine above 600˚F and I keep them out of the weather when not in use.  Just bought my second Jr. for the cabin.  Love the Jr.  I'd buy a full size if I didn't own a Keg.